THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Using units from older codexes

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MFive
Kabalite Warrior

Using units from older codexes Empty
PostSubject: Using units from older codexes   Using units from older codexes I_icon_minitimeSat May 31 2014, 08:14

I have an interesting question, that i suppose is a question regarding rules, so i will leave this thread here.

Why cannot we use units from previous editions of our codex's? granted, they are sometimes old and rather clunky, but i cannot find a rule that says we cannot. I ask because i want to ally with necrons and take The Nightbringer, bringing him on from the WWP, but wanted to make sure that i haven't missed a rule before i ask the guys at the club.

this could be seen as a 'dick' move (pardon my language) but I am still relatively new to the game(late 5thE) and don't understand why this is not done. any help with this?
Back to top Go down
Saintspirit
Court of Cruelty
Saintspirit

PostSubject: Re: Using units from older codexes   Using units from older codexes I_icon_minitimeSat May 31 2014, 10:54

Well, supposedly it is simply because the earlier codexes just aren't in use anymore, but the newer ones instead. When a new codex/army book has been released, the old ones end being usable for gaming. I'm not sure I can come with a better explanation than that Neutral 

Painted: 2263pts

shamroll wrote:
Dang! I was hoping Tyranids followed the Pokemon naming idea. A big Carnifex running around just yelling "Carnifex! Carni-Carnifex!" followed by a squad of termagants all saying "Termagant" to each other.
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Using units from older codexes   Using units from older codexes I_icon_minitimeSat May 31 2014, 11:00

Yup - the rules have been superseded by a new book. Just run a ctan shard and you will be fine. That said, as you can deploy within 12" of allies who are come the apocalypse, not sure you will be able to even come out if the portal!

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
MFive
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Using units from older codexes   Using units from older codexes I_icon_minitimeSat May 31 2014, 18:39

@Saintspirit wrote:
Well, supposedly it is simply because the earlier codexes just aren't in use anymore, but the newer ones instead. When a new codex/army book has been released, the old ones end being usable for gaming. I'm not sure I can come with a better explanation than that Neutral 

that was the impression that i got about the topic, though special characters and completely deprecated units where always a bit of a confusing topic for me, as they had no new unit that they could be used for, and thus became proxy models

another example i had for my question, the Doom of Malan'tai, he has no new unit, same as their spoor pod, they are both simply gone. you could use the Doom as another zoanthrope, but that seems like using Eldrad as a far sear(in a mythical universe where GW removed him from the dex); using a model that has its own aura of power despite the rules that its being used with, causing it be be attacked more

@Massaen wrote:
That said, as you can['t] deploy within 12" of allies who are come the apocalypse, not sure you will be able to even come out if the portal!

I was sure that the 'crons were allies of desperation, will have to look at the BRB, is that a 7thE change?

Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Using units from older codexes   Using units from older codexes I_icon_minitimeSat May 31 2014, 19:29

Bizarrely there is no actual rule preventing this, although tournaments will usually say that only the most recent version of a codex or supplement is legal.

MFive
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Using units from older codexes   Using units from older codexes I_icon_minitimeSat May 31 2014, 21:22

so, theoretically, there is no rule preventing me from using older units or even a older codex in a non-tourney environment (provided opponent consent of course)? i have always wanted to play that old daemonhunters codex ...
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Using units from older codexes   Using units from older codexes I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 01 2014, 02:04

Remember the doom and the spore pod never had a model made and thus have no issue about using the defunct old model in a current game unlike the night bringer

Necrons are come the apocalypse allies

Deploying from a portal is not likely to work!

Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Using units from older codexes   Using units from older codexes I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 01 2014, 02:21

I would say that there is no rule which ever says the portal ceases to be a piece of equipment, therefore only DE and their BB allies can use it. C'tan are out. (Although CWE are in!)

Opinions vary on this, however.
Back to top Go down
MFive
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Using units from older codexes   Using units from older codexes I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 01 2014, 06:13

@Massaen wrote:
Remember the doom and the spore pod never had a model made and thus have no issue about using the defunct old model in a current game unlike the night bringer

Necrons are come the apocalypse allies

Deploying from a portal is not likely to work!

while i don't have the rule book for 7thE, does it not say during deployment they cannot be 12" or less from another unit that is from the other army?

@Jimsolo wrote:
I would say that there is no rule which ever says the portal ceases to be a piece of equipment, therefore only DE and their BB allies can use it.  C'tan are out.  (Although CWE are in!)

iirc, the portal does not say that only dark eldar can use it, though if i am not mistaken it was in one of the 6thE FAQ's

i would be sad that i couldn't bring The Nightbringer on from a WWP
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Using units from older codexes   Using units from older codexes I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 01 2014, 12:36

It does indeed - and coming on from reserves is deploying...

Jimsolo
Dracon
Jimsolo

PostSubject: Re: Using units from older codexes   Using units from older codexes I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 01 2014, 15:56

@MFive wrote:

@Jimsolo wrote:
I would say that there is no rule which ever says the portal ceases to be a piece of equipment, therefore only DE and their BB allies can use it.  C'tan are out.  (Although CWE are in!)

iirc, the portal does not say that only dark eldar can use it, though if i am not mistaken it was in one of the 6thE FAQ's

i would be sad that i couldn't bring The Nightbringer on from a WWP

That did used to be in an FAQ, but no longer.

The WWP is still restricted by the general rules, however. The only models that can benefit from a piece of equipment are your models that are A) from the same faction or B) from a faction with an ally relationship of Battle Brother to yours. (Unless the equipment explicitly says it benefits enemies, but with the WWP that is not the case.)
Back to top Go down
MFive
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Using units from older codexes   Using units from older codexes I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 01 2014, 20:12

now i understand, before only we could use it, but now that there is no FAQ, CWE can use it, but others cannot because they are technically enemies, and thus cannot take advantages of our wargear

so regardless of the range that The Nightbringer can be from our units, he cannot pop out of the portal Sad

thanks for correcting me on this!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using units from older codexes   Using units from older codexes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Using units from older codexes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Rules: Queries & Questions
-
Jump to: