THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Chrome Paint Scheme

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
archondav
Slave
archondav

Chrome Paint Scheme Empty
PostSubject: Chrome Paint Scheme   Chrome Paint Scheme I_icon_minitimeSat May 10 2014, 16:23

Hello everyone. After a long hiatus I have returned and am collecting my new Kabal. I really want to do a very bright chrome scheme (think of the armor in the movie Excalibur or Queen Amidala's starship from Star Wars I & II.
I have never been a great painter, but I'm really trying to get it right this time.
I've been using Runefang Steel over a Leadbelcher base and it looks good to me, however I'd really like the look to have more shine.
Is there a better way to get Runefang Steel more shiney, or is there a different paint I should be using.
Also, what do you guys do to show that a model has ghost plate armor?
Back to top Go down
Tengu
Wych
Tengu

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Paint Scheme   Chrome Paint Scheme I_icon_minitimeSat May 10 2014, 21:32

there is a product on the market for model kit makers, those that do those 50s jet planes that were bare metal to reflect a nuclear blast.

its a very thin self adhesive foil, availible in chrome and brushed aluminium

It is called `bare metal` if I remember rightly.

it is not cheap.
Back to top Go down
Tengu
Wych
Tengu

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Paint Scheme   Chrome Paint Scheme I_icon_minitimeSat May 10 2014, 22:03

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bare-Metal-Foil-Chrome-Give-model-Realistic-Look-BMF-001-/301135254458?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Model_Kits&hash=item461d0f53ba#ht_2469wt_1190
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Paint Scheme   Chrome Paint Scheme I_icon_minitimeSat May 10 2014, 22:15

Or you can go over it in a thin gloss varnish. However some of the best chrom/silver paints ive seen are from rattle cans from homedepot or ace. get a can of that make sure its gloss and that should be great for you. probably spray in white and then the silver that will undercoat it and basecoat it for you. if its still not shiny enough go over in a a gloss. Its gonna pop.

So under coat it in white, stay nice and thin.
Then spray silver over that for your finished armor. And paint the rest with black that you plan on painting over.
It would really behoove you to gloss varnish it at the end. For protection and too be able to shade in that silver with oil washes. OIL IS KEY it takes a long time to dry so you literally cover your whole model in the oil wash of your choice and then you take a q-tip with mineral spirits or even water and clean all of the faces you want pretty while leaving the wash in the cracks. Very simple, very easy and it looks good.

Wych
Tengu

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Paint Scheme   Chrome Paint Scheme I_icon_minitimeSat May 10 2014, 22:19

Do you mean `bright`?

Or `shiny`?

Or `mirrorlike`?

I think he wants the mandrakes to fall in love with it.

(Another product you might like to play with is those new nail foils)
Back to top Go down
archondav
Slave
archondav

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Paint Scheme   Chrome Paint Scheme I_icon_minitimeSat May 10 2014, 22:21

Actually I would love for them to be mirror-like. That is the idea behind my Kabal. Great comments all. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Tengu
Wych
Tengu

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Paint Scheme   Chrome Paint Scheme I_icon_minitimeSat May 10 2014, 22:22

Its going to be a nightmare to get perfect, I warn you.
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Paint Scheme   Chrome Paint Scheme I_icon_minitimeSat May 10 2014, 22:30

Good luck. http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Mirror-Chrome-Aerosol-Paint/dp/B0015H1FGA

That's all I found but I fear it will be very difficult. I don't think you can gloss over pure chrome. I think the silver is your best route. To get that effect, well, you need get it plated in chrome.

Wych
Tengu

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Paint Scheme   Chrome Paint Scheme I_icon_minitimeSat May 10 2014, 22:57

Hence I suggested the bare metal foil.

Closest to actualy getting it chromed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chrome Paint Scheme   Chrome Paint Scheme I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chrome Paint Scheme
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS