THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Skimmers parking on terrain

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anterzhul
Kabalite Warrior

Skimmers parking on terrain Empty
PostSubject: Skimmers parking on terrain   Skimmers parking on terrain I_icon_minitimeSat May 03 2014, 21:23

Playing against Eldar yesterday, this came up:

We had a board with several ruins on it, including a tower with a rather flat top.

During deployment, The Eldar player placed his Fire Prism on this tower, way in the back of his deployment zone (Hammer and anvil  Evil or Very Mad ), so I pointed him to the fact that you cannot deploy any unit in impassable terrain, fair enough, it was a nice enough guy, he went with it.

First turn, he moves the fire prism onto it, moving 10-11" as the crow flies (Not accounting height), onto the tower, and manages to balance his vehicle there, stating that you can indeed (after passing a dangerous terrain roll) place skimmers, jetbikes and jetpack on impassable terrain, as long as you can place the model.

Two questions:
1: Is the way he moved (measuring horizontally instead of 3D) legit?
2: Can he just park a tank somewhere where it has full vision over ~95% of the boards LoS blocking terrain, even though he barely managed to balance the thing on the flying stand?

(Managed to roll lucky and blast the thing off the board turn 2 with a raider that had flat outted into his DZ though  Cool )
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Skimmers parking on terrain   Skimmers parking on terrain I_icon_minitimeSat May 03 2014, 22:49

From what I understand each level up counts as 3". Roughly the same height as the level should be. So I would have easily argued it.

Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

PostSubject: Re: Skimmers parking on terrain   Skimmers parking on terrain I_icon_minitimeSat May 03 2014, 23:09

Skimmers move over all terrain so I don't think the vertical distance was an issue and the skimmer rules specifically say that they can end their move on impassable terrain if it is possible to place the model there and they pass a dangerous terrain test. Page 83 refers.

Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Skimmers parking on terrain   Skimmers parking on terrain I_icon_minitimeSat May 03 2014, 23:16

Well based on that logic I could have my skimmer at the base of the wall and then decide I want to place it on top of the wall 5 feet off of the table. I would say a flyer negates this rule however a skimmer is still just hovering over the ground. Plus a building is not impassible terrain its a bit different there are different rules for buildings and the later. I'm not saying you couldn't go up it but I do think that you could not go up it at a diagonal.

Hellion
deep-sea-captain

PostSubject: Re: Skimmers parking on terrain   Skimmers parking on terrain I_icon_minitimeSun May 04 2014, 02:45

Count Adhemar is right. You just measure horizontally and move it. Its a hold over from earlier editions where flyers didn't exist and Skimmers ruled the skies (Most fast skimmers in the fluff can actually fly, especially Eldar ones).

But saying that. In the games I play, pretty sure we measure from start point to finish point, up down, vertically, horizontally.
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Skimmers parking on terrain   Skimmers parking on terrain I_icon_minitimeSun May 04 2014, 02:49

Oh ok thats good to know. So the only time you would be measuring levels is when doing anything that is not a skimmer.

Hellion
deep-sea-captain

PostSubject: Re: Skimmers parking on terrain   Skimmers parking on terrain I_icon_minitimeSun May 04 2014, 03:54

I only really measure levels when moving infantry up a building. Jump/Jet infantry can choose to ignore the levels and fly, but they take a dangerous terrain check I'm pretty sure. Last I checked beasts couldn't climb up levels in a building, though I can't remember the last time I played with any beasts. Regular vehicles can't either.

So you pretty much do the 3" per level thing for units acting as infantry. Probably walking MC's too.
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Skimmers parking on terrain   Skimmers parking on terrain I_icon_minitimeSun May 04 2014, 04:06

I know that gaunts have things called flesh hooks in the fluff, I dont know if that lets them pass impassible but they easily should be able to. There are "records" of them jumping like 20+ in the air to grab people off of speeders.

Kabalite Warrior
MurDok

PostSubject: Re: Skimmers parking on terrain   Skimmers parking on terrain I_icon_minitimeSun May 04 2014, 07:52

Don't forget that he also needs to make 2 dangerous terrain tests for each turn, 1 for begging his movement phase on dangerous terrain and once again for ending on dangerous terrain.

Adeptus Mechanicus - Taghmata Omnissiah & Legio Cybernetica
Back to top Go down
Silverglade
Wych
Silverglade

PostSubject: Re: Skimmers parking on terrain   Skimmers parking on terrain I_icon_minitimeSun May 04 2014, 17:36

@MurDok wrote:
Don't forget that he also needs to make 2 dangerous terrain tests for each turn, 1 for begging his movement phase on dangerous terrain and once again for ending on dangerous terrain.

no he doesn't.   Only if he moves.

So he would need to make one in the turn he moves up there.   And then again on the turn he moves off.

You can park yourself there without having to continue to make the rolls.  Just like if we were inside a woods or something with our skimmers.

In terms of infantry moving in ruins, the rules actually say that it is pretty much up to you and your opponent to agree how you want them to work. I conceptually agree with the 3" thing, but my gaming group opted for an additional 1" per level. While it doesn't necessarily make LOGICAL sense, the reason for it is to allow for lots of mobility within the ruins.
Back to top Go down
Brom
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Skimmers parking on terrain   Skimmers parking on terrain I_icon_minitimeMon May 05 2014, 02:18

Nothing wrong with what he did from my perspective. It has both pros and cons.. just depends on the situation, for example hes likely out of any area effect powers/items.
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Ivan
Wych
Crazy_Ivan

PostSubject: Re: Skimmers parking on terrain   Skimmers parking on terrain I_icon_minitimeMon May 05 2014, 11:43

I don't see a problem with what he did, I have done it several times and used my ravages to hold objectives when playing bug guns never tire.
Remember we can take our flicker field saves against a failed terrain test if that does happen to us.
Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Wych
Zenotaph

PostSubject: Re: Skimmers parking on terrain   Skimmers parking on terrain I_icon_minitimeFri May 09 2014, 13:44

@Crazy_Ivan wrote:
I don't see a problem with what he did, I have done it several times and used my ravages to hold objectives when playing bug guns never tire.
Remember we can take our flicker field saves against a failed terrain test if that does happen to us.

Me too. And sometimes my friends place some Terminators behind impassible terrain.
Most times, they never get any closer.  Twisted Evil 

PostSubject: Re: Skimmers parking on terrain   Skimmers parking on terrain I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Skimmers parking on terrain
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Rules: Queries & Questions
-
Jump to: