HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Money Saving Conversions Thread

Go down 
AuthorMessage
moon1n1te
Slave

Money Saving Conversions Thread Empty
PostSubject: Money Saving Conversions Thread   Money Saving Conversions Thread I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 18 2014, 15:39

As the titles says. Try and keep this one GW. l will throw in some ideas later on(after work).
Back to top Go down
Tengu
Wych
Tengu

PostSubject: Re: Money Saving Conversions Thread   Money Saving Conversions Thread I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 18 2014, 15:42

I mixed and matched my kabalites with some of the old 3rd ed ones, can pick those up cheaply.

I did the same with guardians for my exodites
Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Klaivex
Squidmaster

PostSubject: Re: Money Saving Conversions Thread   Money Saving Conversions Thread I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 18 2014, 16:40

"Money saving" and "keeping it GW" are not two terms that tend to go well together.

The best we really have is eBay and using old models, maybe mixing and matching models and parts between old and new models.
To really save, you need to look elsewhere, or to the scratch-building thing (at which point I'll point you towards my Kabalite project log).
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
moon1n1te
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Money Saving Conversions Thread   Money Saving Conversions Thread I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 18 2014, 17:15

True I guess I will elaborate by saying it would be cheaper to use gargoyles or flying rippers than razorwings. Im sure there is plenty  of Incubi substitutes in WHFB if you want a 10 man squad. anyone got tips for using an old school raider as a venom.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Money Saving Conversions Thread   Money Saving Conversions Thread I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 18 2014, 19:21

Buy 1 Razorwing flock.
Transform it into 3 Razorwing bases by splitting up the birds.

Money Saving Conversions Thread 275524_sm-Dark%20Eldar

Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych
Expletive Deleted

PostSubject: Re: Money Saving Conversions Thread   Money Saving Conversions Thread I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 18 2014, 20:09

Some people complain doing that doesn't represent the model. i.e. one bird isn't a flock and cannot have five wounds. or, that the model is incomplete.

Those particular people are awful and you shouldn't play with them. Also they don't seem to understand four is also less than five.

Slave

PostSubject: Re: Money Saving Conversions Thread   Money Saving Conversions Thread I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 18 2014, 22:37

Im tempted to go for two gargoyles per base. Plenty big enough and atleast more than one model...tho still not a flock I guess.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Money Saving Conversions Thread   Money Saving Conversions Thread I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 18 2014, 22:40

I've never had that problem.

Back to top Go down
infamousme
Hellion
infamousme

PostSubject: Re: Money Saving Conversions Thread   Money Saving Conversions Thread I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 27 2014, 21:15

I'm currently working on some whfb ghouls. Green stuff amd warriors of chaos helmets stripped of any horns for armor and they make passable wracks. I might be able to post a picture one of these days.
Back to top Go down
Tarak
Slave
Tarak

PostSubject: Re: Money Saving Conversions Thread   Money Saving Conversions Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29 2014, 13:27

I have recently decided on converting fully over to a coven based force. I am using DE,Kroot,Daemons,Imperials and anyother faction. I can get my hands on for my Wracks. I may eventually green stuff the masks on them but I do like the kroot heads that make them appear to be screaming. All of it was just laying around the house
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Money Saving Conversions Thread   Money Saving Conversions Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29 2014, 14:14

@Expletive Deleted wrote:
Some people complain doing that doesn't represent the model. i.e. one bird isn't a flock and cannot have five wounds. or, that the model is incomplete.

Those particular people are awful and you shouldn't play with them. Also they don't seem to understand four is also less than five.

A whole lotta this Razz 

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Tarak
Slave
Tarak

PostSubject: Re: Money Saving Conversions Thread   Money Saving Conversions Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29 2014, 14:19

Could also green stuff some birds. Model them on carcasses or victims and throw in one gw razorwing a base. Use him as eye candy and the rest as flock filler.
Back to top Go down
Expletive Deleted
Wych
Expletive Deleted

PostSubject: Re: Money Saving Conversions Thread   Money Saving Conversions Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29 2014, 14:32

On that note, I actually almost got into a heated argument (which is hard for me, I'm really laid back), because some random stranger at the FLGS came up to me and started telling me that my voidraven wasn't the right model. I've been converting an old batwing model into it. (Note this model cost me almost as much as my razorwing so it was not a money saver)

"That's not the right model."

"They didn't release a model for it, so I used what I thought was cool."

*points at my razorwing* "GW intended for you to convert that model into it."

"If they did then they should have made a dual kit, or included instructions in the box on how to do it."

"They expected you to figure it out."

"And I expected them to release a model two years after it was mentioned in the codex."

"That doesn't look like the razorwing."

"It shouldn't. If it looked like the razorwing, how could I tell my opponent it had an armor value of 11, and not 10?"

"Well... it looks cool I was just saying it's not the right model."

"...There is no model. Go away before I assault you with dice."

And there's just those people out there. Hell my buddy is one. We were talking about the downfall of GW, and I was telling him a lot of cheaper comapnies are starting to have comparable quality. I was telling him how I wanted to convert a chaos space marine army into chaos space squats, and I brought up the forge father models from mantic games. "I don't use third party miniatures." he says, "I saw some amazing squat conversion for an IG army using the dwarves from fantasy. Why don't you do that?"

"Because fantasy dwarves don't wear power armor?"
-------------------

So even though a lot of this post seems like a rant, just know those people exist. People who would happily pay the $300 price tag on a full squad of beast masters, and will look at you like YOU'RE crazy for not throwing your money at overpriced, finecast, drivel.

Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Money Saving Conversions Thread   Money Saving Conversions Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29 2014, 20:48

@Expletive Deleted wrote:
On that note, I actually almost got into a heated argument (which is hard for me, I'm really laid back), because some random stranger at the FLGS came up to me and started telling me that my voidraven wasn't the right model. I've been converting an old batwing model into it. (Note this model cost me almost as much as my razorwing so it was not a money saver)

"That's not the right model."

"They didn't release a model for it, so I used what I thought was cool."

*points at my razorwing* "GW intended for you to convert that model into it."

"If they did then they should have made a dual kit, or included instructions in the box on how to do it."

"They expected you to figure it out."

"And I expected them to release a model two years after it was mentioned in the codex."

"That doesn't look like the razorwing."

"It shouldn't. If it looked like the razorwing, how could I tell my opponent it had an armor value of 11, and not 10?"

"Well... it looks cool I was just saying it's not the right model."

"...There is no model. Go away before I assault you with dice."

And there's just those people out there. Hell my buddy is one. We were talking about the downfall of GW, and I was telling him a lot of cheaper comapnies are starting to have comparable quality. I was telling him how I wanted to convert a chaos space marine army into chaos space squats, and I brought up the forge father models from mantic games. "I don't use third party miniatures." he says, "I saw some amazing squat conversion for an IG army using the dwarves from fantasy. Why don't you do that?"

"Because fantasy dwarves don't wear power armor?"
-------------------

So even though a lot of this post seems like a rant, just know those people exist. People who would happily pay the $300 price tag on a full squad of beast masters, and will look at you like YOU'RE crazy for not throwing your money at overpriced, finecast, drivel.

Well, that first conversation was funny. I love idiots. As for the second one, I've thought about a Space Marine Squat army with the Mantic Forge Fathers Wink
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Money Saving Conversions Thread   Money Saving Conversions Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29 2014, 22:47

For my money saving conversions coming up I will list what I have thought up.

1: Chaos Warhounds from Beastmen counting as Kyhmaera. They have tenacles, are the same size, and fur offers the same depth in coloring as the open muscles do.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Chaos-Warhounds

2. Vargheists from Vampire counts counting as Clawed fiends/Grots. The clawed fiend is the first obvious choice because minimum converting would have to be done. But for the Grots? I'm sure a well collected DE player will have bits out the wazooo to convert with.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Vampire-Counts-Vargheists

3. Helions counts as Beast Masters. I will be taking the heads from the pilots from my venom boxes (the ones with the visors) http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Dark-Eldar-Reavers shown there. and will model the helions skyboards to look more similar to the BM one, with the blades pointing forward i guess. You can then use weapons and such from other boxes to kit them out.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Dark-Eldar-Hellions

4. Wood Elf Dryads counts as Mandrakes, they have runes and you could have fun with modeling these, plus you get 12!!

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Wood-Elf-Dryads

5. Crypt Horrors counts as Clawed Fiends/Grots/Ur Ghul. They have muscles they are nasty looking with some bits you could do whatever you wanted.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Vampire-Counts-Crypt-Horrors

Wych
Tengu

PostSubject: Re: Money Saving Conversions Thread   Money Saving Conversions Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 29 2014, 23:39

That was a good list.

I am using the old plastic Rat ogres for Clawed fiends.
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Money Saving Conversions Thread   Money Saving Conversions Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 30 2014, 01:30

Very interesting idea for razorwing flocks. I have got to say I think it works better than stupid pigeons.

Money Saving Conversions Thread Img_4754

Lord_Alice
Lord_Alino

PostSubject: Re: Money Saving Conversions Thread   Money Saving Conversions Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 30 2014, 02:23

@Its_Rumble wrote:
For my money saving conversions coming up I will list what I have thought up.

1: Chaos Warhounds from Beastmen counting as Kyhmaera.

I had a heart attack when I thought you ment Chaos Warhound Titans from beastmen models XD
Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Money Saving Conversions Thread   Money Saving Conversions Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 30 2014, 02:55

Oh and I just came up with this idea about 5 minutes around while perusing by myself. As my razorwing flock I will be using squiggs XD I've loved them, everyone loves them and if I can put itty bitty wings on them even better. Plus they have huuuuge ffaaaannnngggs.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Cave-Squigs

Wych
Tengu

PostSubject: Re: Money Saving Conversions Thread   Money Saving Conversions Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 30 2014, 21:04

Thats a very good idea for birdies.

Im lucky, I had a GW gift voucher so I got a couple of flocks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Money Saving Conversions Thread   Money Saving Conversions Thread I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Money Saving Conversions Thread
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: