HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Avoiding paint texture

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Amuse Me
Hellion
Amuse Me

Avoiding paint texture Empty
PostSubject: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02 2014, 01:54

So I've been painting up some secondhand tester models to try out and experiment with coliur schemes for my kabal, and I've run across a little problem; texture from paint. I've come from painting nids, and the added texture in my mind made them look cooler, especially on the carapace. On DE, especially on the skin and armor, it makes the model just look rubbish. Is this texture coming because I don't water my paints down (I just use them straight from the...thing you buy them in) or am I putting too much paint on or what?

Hellion
macknight

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02 2014, 02:54

You should post an image, it would help those interested in helping you.

I just recently started painting my DE, I would suggest you use smaller drybrush to paint the edges, then another for highlight. You could also thin down the paint with either some water or acrylic medium(can get at any Hobby Lobby).
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02 2014, 03:11

You my friend need a wet palette. You can make one CHEAP, and it will change how you paint forever. I painted for 20 years without one and will never go back to paint straight from the pot.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02 2014, 07:59

Wet paint pallets are indeed awesome. It could also be the undercoat clouding up on application... Pics please!

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02 2014, 10:12

I second (or actually third) the suggestion of a wet palette, it revolutionized my painting just THAT much! It's easy to build one, just type it on google and look at one of the various tutorials, basically all you need are a box, a sponge and parchment paper.

Once you got that going painting without visible brushstrokes will become much easier. Although it might take some time you can even water down your paints more that just the palette alone does and apply several thin coats. This is how I get my aethersails smooth. You need to wait for each layer to be completely dry though, because if not you're going to rub the still wet paint off with the next layer.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02 2014, 11:32

Yeah, thats probably about thinning your paints.

The next step might be wet pallete, as mentioned, that think your paints pretty much by default and watching your paint dry before applying next layer.

Mngwa
Wych
Mngwa

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02 2014, 13:25

Is this article any good?
http://www.fullborerminiatures.com/articles/wetpalette.html

I think I will probably try making one of these, only not sure on what to use as a tray...
Also, how often do these have to be changed (the paper towel and parchment)? I don't believe in never :Pespecially if the materials can be different
And lastly, how do you store this thing? I wont be painting all the time, and will probably have times when I wouldn't be using this for... at least months, maybe years. Is it safe to put it anywhere (maybe not in a freezer or under a pile of books, but...)

I have thought of trying one of these for some time, and now is a good opportunity to ask without a new topic ^.^
Back to top Go down
Amuse Me
Hellion
Amuse Me

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02 2014, 13:49

Thanks for all the input! I will post an image tomorrow and get around to the renowned wet palette when I can.

Last edited by Amuse Me on Thu Jan 02 2014, 13:50; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Making it english)
Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02 2014, 15:11

on changing the paper it depends on how much you use it and how sealed your container is. I change mine monthly and it does not go mouldy or smelly by then. I believe you can keep it longer depending on how much paint you use. I use a blue dish sponge instead of a paper towel which works really well under the baking paper. Once you use these you will never go back as it changes the way you paint a lot (for the better). Another good article on them is http://mrleespaintingemporium.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/mr-lees-way-of-wet-palettes.html. In terms of storage mine is in a small plastic box with lid so can be sealed and just put in a drawer when not in use.

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 02 2014, 16:00

I made mine using the blister pack from a fine cast model and some foam from a carry tray I cut apart to fit a large model - works ace!

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Amuse Me
Hellion
Amuse Me

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03 2014, 10:32

Okay, ive got some images of my tester models. I just wanted to much around with some colors and plus I am completely ignorant on edge highlighting so excuse the crappy paint jobs. I did try feathering the armor like I do on my nids but eh...ANYWAY, the point.

On the leg skin is really bad texture, plus a little on the leathers
Avoiding paint texture IMG_7549_zpsef7eb731

I thinned the paint on this second model and it looks a little better, but I think i need to thin it more and do more layers. The leg holes look fine but the arm (being a larger area) has gaps in the paint.
Avoiding paint texture IMG_7548_zps8262e7eb

Last edited by Amuse Me on Fri Jan 03 2014, 10:33; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fix links)
Back to top Go down
facelessabsalom
Wych
facelessabsalom

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03 2014, 13:22

Looks like you need to thin down your paints and go for some layers of paint. Make sure you clean the brush now and then so that dried paint on the brush don't get mixed in.

If it is very old paints, perhaps you need to buy new ones. I myself use paints that are 1-2 years old, if not older. Some of them I don't know, I bought them used since they were the only rare old paints from GWs paint range before the new ones. Devlan mud, badab black anyone?
Back to top Go down
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 03 2014, 13:56

I concur, you have to thin your paints more. You'd then need to paint more layers to make your paint cover, but it will be smoother.

For the wet palette, I change the parchment everytime I used up the entire space (which is about the size of a lunchbox, as it is inside a lunchbox Wink ) or when I haven't been painting for a long time. On these occassions I also change the water, because of my perception of cleaniness Very Happy When you're using a sponge you could possibly keep the water in for weeks, however if possible I'd frequently change the water. If you use papertowels as water storage you need to change it more often since the paper towels are quite susceptible to becoming smelly in my experience. Lastly, when you know you won't be painting for some time, squeeze your sponge and let it dry. No need to give the fungi a sweet place to grow, it's a lot better to store it in its dry state Wink.

Hope this helps and by the way I don't think your painting is bad. Extreme close-ups always bring out the uncleanly painted areas on ALL miniatures. Just keep practicing with thinner paints and you'll see the results improving rapidly.
Back to top Go down
Amuse Me
Hellion
Amuse Me

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 04 2014, 02:42

All the paints I used I had bought less than a week ago (exclusively for painting my DE).

Thanks for all the advice everyone, so to sum it all up for any one else browsing the thread in the future
- Make a wet palette (Thanks Mngwa for the tut link)
- Thin the paints and do multiple layers
- Clean out the brush every so often to remove dried paint and other solids.
Thanks everyone!

Hellion
horrid

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 06 2014, 04:33

In addition to thinning the direction you apply paint in can also build up unwanted texture. Applying paint in the same direction throughout application will minimize this.

I didn't see it in the thread (I didn't check the link either) but you really should thin your paint with a flow release. Liquitex and Golden both make good ones that mix 1:20 and 1:10 into water that you can add to your paint. If you use straight water it will reduce your coverage/opacity dramatically and your colours will suffer. A 750 ml bottle might cost $15-20 (cdn) and will last a very long time (years unless you are doing this for a living everyday).

Hellion
Amuse Me

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 11 2014, 06:01

I've tried making a wet palette, but I've run into a problem. Whenever I put paint onto the special paper, it just spreads out. I thought I put too much water in, so I went for a second go and the same problem, but maybe a little less. Do I need to make sure there is no water on top of the paper, or or that to be expected?

Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 11 2014, 10:15

What are you using under the parchment paper? I don't have experience with the wet paper towel build, but if you are using a sponge you should have just enough water to have a slight bit of standing water. Slight. It really sounds as though you have too much water below the parchment paper.

Pic? It could help.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Marrath
Wych
Marrath

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 11 2014, 16:43

@Amuse Me wrote:
Do I need to make sure there is no water on top of the paper, or or that to be expected?
If by paper you mean the parchment i think you are correct.
The water has to be in the paper towel below the parchment.
So it can slowly diffuse through the parchment to keep your color wet.
The water shouldn't puddle on the parchment.

Amuse Me
Hellion
Amuse Me

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 12 2014, 02:21

There are a few small puddles on the parchment paper, ill re-make it but stick even less water in.

Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 14 2014, 16:57

I have not used a wet pallette, but I own one. I really should try it out sooner or later.

However, I always thin my paints about 40 % water to 60% paint, or not quite 2 to 1 paint to water. It really makes a difference.

That being said, the paint should flow from your brush, not run or "spill" from it, that is when your paint is too thin. If your paint does not flow, but instead is still like a bit of a gel or holds its shape too much, then it is too thick.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19 2014, 08:16

If I may add my 50 cents:

I would suggest thinning your paint in a 2:1 ratio - 2 parts of water, 1 part of colour, if you are using Citadel or Vallejo or similarly thick paints. Never go for a single layer of colour. Your first layer should be transparent, your second or third should give you the colour you want.

I absolutely support Wet Palette. I use it for some work I do, although not everything and it can change the results very much.

I have VERY good experience adding a rinse agent into your water. Rinse agent is a chemical that is used in dishwashers for rinsing the dishes. NOT washing... rinsing! It decreases surface tension of water. It is mostly used in professional dishwashers. It may be difficult to come by if you don't have a friend who works in an restaurant, but it works wonders. You need a very small amount. The usual dosing is about 0,5 gramms per litre.

In addition, I suggest using softened or demineralized water. All these things will really affect the flow of your paint...
Back to top Go down
Amuse Me
Hellion
Amuse Me

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 19 2014, 08:21

The distilled (demineralised) water sounds good!

PostSubject: Re: Avoiding paint texture   Avoiding paint texture I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Avoiding paint texture
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: