THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.



 
HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

 

 GWs new pains

Go down 
+3
Thor665
Fidra
facelessabsalom
7 posters
AuthorMessage
facelessabsalom
Wych
facelessabsalom

Posts : 661
Join date : 2012-11-17
Location : Freefall

GWs new pains Empty
PostSubject: GWs new pains   GWs new pains I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16 2013, 12:47

The new technicals and dry brush paints look promising.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat470003a

The blood technical seems very useful and looks decent.
The Agrellan Earth is very cool I think, is GW first with this kind of paint?
Ryza Rust and Typhus Corrosion is looking ok, not really new imo. I believe FW, Secret weapon and others got better stuff than these.

The rest is meh.

What do you think? I'm certainly gonna get that blood paint, never seen anything like it before.
Back to top Go down
Fidra
Hellion
Fidra

Posts : 53
Join date : 2013-10-30
Location : Edinburgh

GWs new pains Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWs new pains   GWs new pains I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16 2013, 13:39

I don't know, I think the Nihilakh Oxide could be rather interesting in achieving that ghostly touch, no? I'm a big fan of vert-de-gris effect and could see myself using it on terrain (think big oxidized copper statues and busts of archons and incubi from ages past Cool ) though I'm dubious as to whether Eldar weaponry would ever oxidize and so probably wouldn't use it for the intended purpose of detailing equipment, but rather a full body wash, or light effect or something.

Does anyone else think it can be used to help create an ethereal effect?

Blood technical is nice enough, but again Agrellan Earth is really what caught my eye-- seems like it would be great for creating a dried fresco look on buildings, like cracking wallpaper. Wondering (and hoping!) it can be used in that end...
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

Posts : 5526
Join date : 2011-06-10
Location : Venice, FL

GWs new pains Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWs new pains   GWs new pains I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16 2013, 17:40

Here I thought this was going to be a topic about some new GW blunder Very Happy

Paints - I got it now!

_________________
GWs new pains K93hWhs
GWs new pains L1RsnGX
The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
macknight
Hellion
macknight

Posts : 61
Join date : 2012-10-07
Location : McAllen, TX

GWs new pains Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWs new pains   GWs new pains I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16 2013, 17:48

@Fidra wrote:
I don't know, I think the Nihilakh Oxide could be rather interesting in achieving that ghostly touch, no? I'm a big fan of vert-de-gris effect and could see myself using it on terrain (think big oxidized copper statues and busts of archons and incubi from ages past Cool ) though I'm dubious as to whether Eldar weaponry would ever oxidize and so probably wouldn't use it for the intended purpose of detailing equipment, but rather a full body wash, or light effect or something.

Does anyone else think it can be used to help create an ethereal effect?

Blood technical is nice enough, but again Agrellan Earth is really what caught my eye-- seems like it would be great for creating a dried fresco look on buildings, like cracking wallpaper. Wondering (and hoping!) it can be used in that end...
ethereal effect can be done quite easily,
direction: prime model black, drybrush eshin grey, drybrush dawnstone, brush on heavily watered down vellejo jade green, let dry, lightly drybrush dawnstone, highlight admin grey, lightly highlight white.

GWs new pains SpiritHosts
Back to top Go down
Fidra
Hellion
Fidra

Posts : 53
Join date : 2013-10-30
Location : Edinburgh

GWs new pains Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWs new pains   GWs new pains I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16 2013, 18:20

@macknight wrote:



ethereal effect can be done quite easily,
direction: prime model black, drybrush eshin grey, drybrush dawnstone, brush on heavily watered down vellejo jade green, let dry, lightly drybrush dawnstone, highlight admin grey, lightly highlight white.
Heheheh +1 (Is that still hip?)

@macknight wrote:



ethereal effect can be done quite easily,
direction: prime model black, drybrush eshin grey, drybrush dawnstone, brush on heavily watered down vellejo jade green, let dry, lightly drybrush dawnstone, highlight admin grey, lightly highlight white.
Thank you for this! I had been needing a tutorial for a while. Might throw some of the Oxide in afterwards to see what comes of it.
Back to top Go down
darkmark
Kabalite Warrior
darkmark

Posts : 133
Join date : 2011-05-18

GWs new pains Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWs new pains   GWs new pains I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 17 2013, 17:30

@facelessabsalom wrote:

The Agrellan Earth is very cool I think, is GW first with this kind of paint?
No, Distress crackle paint has them beaten by years.

Reviews seem to suggest the earth paint doesn't exactly crack; GW claim bad batch.lol! 
Back to top Go down
facelessabsalom
Wych
facelessabsalom

Posts : 661
Join date : 2012-11-17
Location : Freefall

GWs new pains Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWs new pains   GWs new pains I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 18 2013, 13:05

@darkmark wrote:
@facelessabsalom wrote:

The Agrellan Earth is very cool I think, is GW first with this kind of paint?
No, Distress crackle paint has them beaten by years.

Reviews seem to suggest the earth paint doesn't exactly crack; GW claim bad batch.lol! 
+1

Not first time GW edit videos and photos to make their paint look better. But yeah, I'll wait a bit before I try this out. When the bad batches are clear Razz

Sounds fun, making ethereal effect witht he oxid paint. Perhaps it could make the painting easier and less steps.
Back to top Go down
Mngwa
Wych
Mngwa

Posts : 955
Join date : 2013-01-26
Location : Stadi

GWs new pains Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWs new pains   GWs new pains I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 18 2013, 17:48

@Thor665 wrote:
Here I thought this was going to be a topic about some new GW blunder Very Happy

Paints - I got it now!
We came here for nothing Sad 
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

Posts : 5526
Join date : 2011-06-10
Location : Venice, FL

GWs new pains Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWs new pains   GWs new pains I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 18 2013, 18:24

Hey now, we've already started discussing how the paints maybe don't do what they're supposed to - so there's hope yet Wink

_________________
GWs new pains K93hWhs
GWs new pains L1RsnGX
The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
Humnhapymeal
Hellion
Humnhapymeal

Posts : 59
Join date : 2013-09-03
Location : Sacramento area

GWs new pains Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWs new pains   GWs new pains I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 18 2013, 19:08

Since im new to the hobby (started in june) these paints look super awsome and funtastic i actually plan on picking up the set. and imma make my little dark spikey dudes all rusted up and stuff.

_________________
My Homebrew Codex
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

Posts : 5526
Join date : 2011-06-10
Location : Venice, FL

GWs new pains Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWs new pains   GWs new pains I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 18 2013, 22:29

I will say that these paints are, as usual for GW, kind of a mixed bag. As a negative you'll basically spend more money for an effect but will have the ease of a very focused paint line.

There are two cautionary notes I'd give you.

1. Make sure the price is reasonable for you, I promise you that other paint companies provide these items in some manner where you'll pay less and get more product overall.

2. Also, and this is the big one, be warned that GW can and will cancel paints at the drop of a hat. So, if these paints become a big part of your army scheme and you expect to be playing that army for 5+ years then there is a decent chance that you'll be working to find a replacement paint to match the canceled GW stuff.

Other than that, most of their stuff here looks useful, and some of it I'm actually mildly intrigued by, so if you do opt to get some I'd love to see a few pics posted of the effects on some DE models instead of the usual Marine stuff Wink

_________________
GWs new pains K93hWhs
GWs new pains L1RsnGX
The Title Troupe! - Nom fellow posters for custom titles.
Back to top Go down
Humnhapymeal
Hellion
Humnhapymeal

Posts : 59
Join date : 2013-09-03
Location : Sacramento area

GWs new pains Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWs new pains   GWs new pains I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 18 2013, 22:52

@Thor665 wrote:
Other than that, most of their stuff here looks useful, and some of it I'm actually mildly intrigued by, so if you do opt to get some I'd love to see a few pics posted of the effects on some DE models instead of the usual Marine stuff Wink
Yeah no doubt i will definitly let ya know ill be ordering or getting them this Thursday (depends on if my local GW will have any)

And all this just made me realize i have never posted any of my fully painted models on here.... all of the five that are actually fully painted out of my 6000+ points worth of Raven guard, Tau, Dark Eldar, Tyranids.(Geeze i have quite a bit of stuff to paint, but hey whats life without a challenge) pale pale pale 
Back to top Go down
facelessabsalom
Wych
facelessabsalom

Posts : 661
Join date : 2012-11-17
Location : Freefall

GWs new pains Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWs new pains   GWs new pains I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 20 2013, 16:52

I'm not gonna edit my typo on this thread, looks like it brings attention!

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2013/11/review-new-citadel-special-effects.html

Reviews say that the blood paint is good.
The crackle paint is dodgy but when it works, is kinda nice.

Other than that, it seems like GW managed to pull out some good stuff here.

@Thor, I'll have to look into other companies special effects stuff. I didn't realize there were special effects paint already, I'm so late!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




GWs new pains Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWs new pains   GWs new pains I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
GWs new pains
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

 :: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: