THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Tactical Advice Sought for Upcoming League Game

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
flakmonkey
Sybarite
flakmonkey

Tactical Advice Sought for Upcoming League Game Empty
PostSubject: Tactical Advice Sought for Upcoming League Game   Tactical Advice Sought for Upcoming League Game I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 09 2013, 08:12

Hey Commorragh!!

I have a game upcoming in a local league, its a set game type (Relic) with a set opponent(Guard)

The match is 1750 points, and since you have to use your set 1500 point list, it leaves me 250 points spare.

Here is my 1500 force and my opponents -

Dark Eldar
Archon -Blaster, Agonizer, Shadowfield
Haemonculus -Venomblade, Liquifier
Trueborn -2 Splinter cannons in a 2SC Venom
Trueborn -2 Dark Lances
Warriors -Splinter Cannon in a DL raider with Night shields and Racks
Warriors -Splinter Cannon in a DL raider with Night shields and Racks
Wracks -in a 2SC Venom
Reavers -3 Heatlances, champion with Venom blade
Talos -Chainflails
Ravager -Night shields
Ravager -Nightshields

Guard
Command Squad -Bare
PCS -Bare
Infantry Squad -Auto cannon and Commissar
Infantry Squad -Autocannon
Infantry Squad -Chimera
Infantry Squad -Chimera
Special Weapons Squad -3 Melta guns
Special Weapons Squad -3 Melta guns
Veteran Squad -Harker and 3 Plasma guns
Vendetta
Vendetta
Basilisk -Enclosed crew compartment
Demolisher
Punisher

So, the Guardsman will (I assume) purchase more chimeras and special weapons for his HQ and PCS. He may even fit in another tank.
I, on the other hand, have run out of Dark Eldar models, and have to resort to 255 points of Allies.

What advice do the denizens of the dark have?
I know this is a terrible match up, and a shocking mission choice for my Dark Eldar.
And what allies do people think would help best? I have a Guard army (vendettas) a few Tau battlesuits and some marines.

Thanks for reading my long-ass post.
I'll be sure to write how the match goes as well later this week.

Last edited by flakmonkey on Tue Sep 10 2013, 13:04; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Tactical Advice Sought for Upcoming League Game   Tactical Advice Sought for Upcoming League Game I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 10 2013, 00:03

Nothing you listed is really a solid ally unit with DE unless you get to ignore the negative aspects of the allies chart.

It also sort of depends on what you own.

Eh, some Tau fire support could work okay as long as you can set them away from the DE.
IG would work okay, especially if left in their flyer, though care would need to be taken on placement as everything moved forward.
Marines I would not touch unless you have a Drop Pod and want to just dump them in on top of the IG gunline to inflict some damage and distraction while your DE rush up.

Back to top Go down
flakmonkey
Sybarite
flakmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Tactical Advice Sought for Upcoming League Game   Tactical Advice Sought for Upcoming League Game I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 10 2013, 07:32

That's pretty much what I thought Thor.
If i take a vendetta, his two would most likely blow it out of the sky. At the moment, I'm leaning towards battlesuits. Deep strike them near his artillery and tanks, give them fusion blasters and plasma cannons. Maybe even get in a lucky shot at a vendetta.
This should also stop any "One eye open" issues, as my Eldar will probably be midfield, not in his deployment.
I wish I had some beasts, or more wracks. Next time I guess...

"Whereas the duty of the Imperial Commander is either to seize or defend territory, the Dark Eldar make war only to steal. If, as a by-product of this, the are able to indulge their vile passion for murder, torture and other decadent acts, then they will joyfully do so, but this is not their primary goal"
Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych
Mr Believer

PostSubject: Re: Tactical Advice Sought for Upcoming League Game   Tactical Advice Sought for Upcoming League Game I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 10 2013, 10:55

It's even more of a struggle to get to the points limit than you suggested, you have 350 points to spend, not 250 Surprised 

The Relic isn't a bad mission for DE, and certainly not against Guard. In fact, the closest I have come to beating the Guard army my friend/nemesis runs with my DE was The Relic. My problems in the game were easy to see, some of them not so easy to counter.

1. He had air superiority. Your opponent does too, but don't worry about it, Vendettas can still only kill one thing a turn.

2. I forgot Vendettas carry guys. They are the real gem for the Vendetta now that they can't outflank - a bunch of demo charges or flamers showing up in your backfield is very frustrating, don't make the same mistake I did and forget they're in there if they are!

3. He out-ranged me. There were Manticores. Two of them. It was horrible. Nothing you can really do about well placed indirect firing stuff apart from deep striking or outflanking, just make sure to keep it indirect as much as you can. The Basilisk shouldn't change how you use your Ravagers - slide them round cover so the only thing that can return fire is their intended target to get the best use out of them. I only had the one in my game, and it took out four tanks by sticking to that rule.

4. I went for the Relic too early. It's tempting when you're really fast to go for grabbing the objective as soon as you can (often whilst making whooshing noises). Hang back and cripple his ability to get there by knocking out his transports, then go for the Relic around turn three or four, depending on how the field looks.

5. I overextended. I had a haemonculus running around with a squad of wracks that got cut off from the rest of my army because I started charging rear armour ten tanks with them because they had Furious Charge. Hilarious though this was (for me), it lost me the game. If I'd hung back with the unit that I'd deliberately put in my list to be tough scorers, I'd have won, as they would have picked the relic up with nothing else able to shoot at them.

6. I forgot about searchlights. Don't do this.

Keep moving, even if you're just nudging your vehicles so they can still fire and get their jink save.

In terms of allies, I'd be tempted by the battlesuits too. They're a real Swiss army knife unit, and might even survive after the deep strike if you get a decent assault phase jump.

Sybarite
flakmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Tactical Advice Sought for Upcoming League Game   Tactical Advice Sought for Upcoming League Game I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 10 2013, 13:18

Thanks for pointing out my typo, Believer . It is a 1750 match, next one is 1850.

Also thanks for the tips. Some rather useful items.  It's good to hear that this match isn't impossible to win.
Good point with the vendetta, and this guy has 2 Special weapon squads who'll probably be in them. Even I had success doing this, before I realised poison and paper mâché armour was so much cooler.
Searchlights. I hadn't thought of them at all. I was just going to rely on nightshields. Whoops.

I'll try to take out the chimeras with raiders at a distance, use ravagers to engage his tanks, use reavers to threaten backfield and save the wracks for the relic grab moment.
Back to top Go down
Vasara
Incognito assault marine
Vasara

PostSubject: Re: Tactical Advice Sought for Upcoming League Game   Tactical Advice Sought for Upcoming League Game I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 10 2013, 18:30

Searchlights dont ignore night shields. You still get the range reduction.

ETC 2015 Captain, Eldar/DE (10th)
Painting blog
Back to top Go down
flakmonkey
Sybarite
flakmonkey

PostSubject: Re: Tactical Advice Sought for Upcoming League Game   Tactical Advice Sought for Upcoming League Game I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 10 2013, 21:30

So searchlights will just allow the Guard to ignore the extra saves caused by night fighting.
Since he lacks alot of long range fire (except the basilisk) is it still worth aiming to get the warlord trait that lets you force night fighting?

"Whereas the duty of the Imperial Commander is either to seize or defend territory, the Dark Eldar make war only to steal. If, as a by-product of this, the are able to indulge their vile passion for murder, torture and other decadent acts, then they will joyfully do so, but this is not their primary goal"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tactical Advice Sought for Upcoming League Game   Tactical Advice Sought for Upcoming League Game I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tactical Advice Sought for Upcoming League Game
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Drukhari Tactics
-
Jump to: