THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War

Go down 
+3
Local_Ork
Massaen
SinisterPlank
7 posters
AuthorMessage
SinisterPlank
Hellion

Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War Empty
PostSubject: Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War   Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05 2011, 11:25

Here's a mindboggler for you.

While playing a Dawn of War mission, I deploy Lady Malys and two units of Wyches along the back end of my deploymentzone (assuming I am the first player)

The opponent then deploys his units as far foreward in his deploymentzone as he is allowed, while keeping outside the restricted 18".

I then roll for Malys special rule, and I'm allowed to redeploy my units.

I choose to redeploy both wychsquads as far ahead as my deploymentzone goes, thus potentially deploying 1" away from the opponent.

Reading through the rulebook, the codex and the FAQ's, I find nothing wrong with this move, sience as first player, the only deployment restriction I have is that I must place my units anywhere in my deployment zone.

First turn charge, anyone?
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War   Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05 2011, 16:10

Hmmm, interesting idea - one that needs furthur reading. I would argue that the redeploy needs to be a valid and legal position but that would be more intent then anything i guess...

I need to go read!

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
SinisterPlank
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War   Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05 2011, 20:37

That's the thing. The only thing restricting your positioning as first player, is that you need to set up within your table halve, there are no restrictions concerning distance from enemy units.

That said, this is a one-shot punch that'll only work on 1 of the three missions, and only if the opponent deploys close to the centreline of the board.... I just really want to see the look on an opponents face. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War   Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 05 2011, 23:31

I'm not sure if "redeploy" don't means "deploy again with scenario rules".

This one is definetely sticky and untill FAQ hits I would assume you can't do that unless enemy allow, just to be on safe side.

Need further research about similar cases (not sure if GK don't have "redeploy" too, tho in different situation).

SinisterPlank
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War   Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06 2011, 00:03

Well, that's my point. Even if it does mean "deploy again with scenario rules", there are none, except that you need to be on your side of the centreline of the board. The only distance restrictions are for the opponent.
Back to top Go down
Fletch
Kabalite Warrior
Fletch

PostSubject: Re: Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War   Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 06 2011, 02:24

I'm having a case of deja' vu.
Back to top Go down
Bennett
Slave
Bennett

PostSubject: Re: Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War   Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11 2011, 14:05

My interpretation would be that you are now deploying as a "3rd player" and would follow any restrictions placed on subsequent deployers after the first as this to me seems like an additonal deployment phase. So the restrictions are always in place but lifted for the "1st players" "1st Phase" of deployment.

I agree this is something that could do with being cleared up as I can see the arguements for either side. Well spotted.

http://wargamerdad.blogspot.com/
a1elbow
Kabalite Warrior
a1elbow

PostSubject: Re: Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War   Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13 2011, 01:05

Interestingly, this doesn't come up in the Callidus assassin or Eldar FAQs either. I did find results on Warseer in the rules forum, one for the Deceiver doing it and the other for Malys. Both had the same conclusion:

nasty trick, strictly legal by RaW, you'll make few friends doing it, and a TO might rule against you anyway.

Personally, I think it is pretty great. Before I had only considered using the redeploy to back troops up and force your opponent to come across the entire board. However, it would work about one time and everyone would be onto you.
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War   Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 13 2011, 07:04

I would still argue that you needed to obey the scenario deployment rules (ie not within a certain distance)

That said... i will use this at an event just to see!

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
stinger989
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War   Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14 2011, 21:21

this has happened quiet often with my friend running a deciver at tournments and it is perfectly legal by RAW so the organizers let it happen.

is it crazy..yes, can it hurt people...yes is it a dirty trick......yes, we are dark eldar and everything is dirty
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War   Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 14 2011, 21:33

Well, we can also use "The Most Retarded Rule!":

Q: When two special rules or effects contradict each
other how is this resolved? (p2)
A: Roll off using ‘The Most Important Rule!’.

Sorry, that one make me giggle like girl on her sweet 16-teen. Each time. How lazy are those guys? In normal corporate office Your boss would use Your nutsack as punching bag for that kind of "work". Foot, door, Your butt sir.

I'm still pretty sure that You must use scenario rule. I mean... redeploy=deploy again=use deployment rules?

a1elbow
Kabalite Warrior
a1elbow

PostSubject: Re: Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War   Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 16 2011, 06:07

@Local_Ork wrote:
Well, we can also use "The Most Retarded Rule!":

Q: When two special rules or effects contradict each
other how is this resolved? (p2)
A: Roll off using ‘The Most Important Rule!’.

Sorry, that one make me giggle like girl on her sweet 16-teen. Each time. How lazy are those guys? In normal corporate office Your boss would use Your nutsack as punching bag for that kind of "work". Foot, door, Your butt sir.

I'm still pretty sure that You must use scenario rule. I mean... redeploy=deploy again=use deployment rules?

There's really nothing to argue. There are at least four things that can redeploy (Callidus-before the new GK book-the Deceiver and Malys-the Eldar is Eldrad?) All have been able to do this trick, and GW has never ruled against it.

You can win a Chess game in two moves. How many people would fall for it and how often does it happen?

This is the kind of trick you pull on a novice or someone who has no idea you have a redeploy and should feel bad about the first and iffy-bad about the latter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War   Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lady Malys Precog rule in Dawn of War
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Rules: Queries & Questions
-
Jump to: