HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Ideas for Grotesques

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Poompkin
Slave
Poompkin

Ideas for Grotesques Empty
PostSubject: Ideas for Grotesques   Ideas for Grotesques I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13 2013, 04:52

I want to make 3-5 grotesques, not now, but in the future. And I could use some ideas to make them without buying the normal ones from GW.
I have thought about buying a pack or two of the Vampire Counts Vargheists / Crypt Horrors and mix it up with extra bits from the pain engine. But my main problem is the legs, cause I want some wrack armor on them. If it comes down to it, I will just make the armor myself out of greenstuff and spend alot of hours into that.

But I think you guys have some interesting and original ideas for how to make them without buying the default ones from GW and just change arms and such.
Back to top Go down
commandersasha
Sybarite
commandersasha

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Grotesques   Ideas for Grotesques I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13 2013, 08:58

Is your army visually pure GW-DE, or do you want to explore steampunk, techno, hybrid etc?
Warmachine do a lot of 40mm-scale humanoid fighters, Warspears are looking interesting to me:
Ideas for Grotesques PIP73041
GW Skaven Rat Ogres are another popular choice.
If you like the VC bodies, but want armoured legs, maybe look at Tau Crisis suit legs, as bionics?
Back to top Go down
LSK
Kabalite Warrior
LSK

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Grotesques   Ideas for Grotesques I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13 2013, 14:16

Back to top Go down
Poompkin
Slave
Poompkin

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Grotesques   Ideas for Grotesques I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13 2013, 18:59

@commandersasha wrote:
Is your army visually pure GW-DE, or do you want to explore steampunk, techno, hybrid etc?
Warmachine do a lot of 40mm-scale humanoid fighters, Warspears are looking interesting to me:
Ideas for Grotesques PIP73041
GW Skaven Rat Ogres are another popular choice.
If you like the VC bodies, but want armoured legs, maybe look at Tau Crisis suit legs, as bionics?
My army is pure GW, but I use parts from different sets to add a little variaton to the units, not big, but enough to separate.

And using other things than GW would be a bit silly, because I mainly play in my local GW store.
But those might be worth a try.

And Tau bits wouldn't fit that much in my army.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Grotesques   Ideas for Grotesques I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13 2013, 19:22

Some examples of what others have done in the past can be seen in the Aphotic Gallery:

https://www.thedarkcity.net/t332-urien-rakarth-haemonculi-wracks-and-grotesques
Back to top Go down
Poompkin
Slave
Poompkin

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Grotesques   Ideas for Grotesques I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13 2013, 20:15

@Gobsmakked wrote:
Some examples of what others have done in the past can be seen in the Aphotic Gallery:

https://www.thedarkcity.net/t332-urien-rakarth-haemonculi-wracks-and-grotesques
Thanks for the heads up on that, will look more into it when I have more time to plan out things.
Back to top Go down
Aéquitas
Hellion
Aéquitas

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Grotesques   Ideas for Grotesques I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13 2013, 20:39

I am doing the same conversion as you Poompkin and I don't think you should worry to much about the armour bits.
I'm gonna tackle it like this:

-Remove the fur on the backside of the legs
-Basecoat the legs in such a way that it looks like he has latex or tight black leather pants on, maybe add some folds around the ankles with green stuff
-When this is done you can either add some weird tubes or patches of stitched leather to make it look more like the GW Grotesque.

The reason I say basecoat it first is that I have seen someone who just painted the legs black to make them look like pants and it already looked awesome. So you might drive yourself crazy to get all kinds of bits added to them while in the end less ends up being more.
Back to top Go down
Poompkin
Slave
Poompkin

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Grotesques   Ideas for Grotesques I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13 2013, 21:30

@Aéquitas wrote:
I am doing the same conversion as you Poompkin and I don't think you should worry to much about the armour bits.
I'm gonna tackle it like this:

-Remove the fur on the backside of the legs
-Basecoat the legs in such a way that it looks like he has latex or tight black leather pants on, maybe add some folds around the ankles with green stuff
-When this is done you can either add some weird tubes or patches of stitched leather to make it look more like the GW Grotesque.

The reason I say basecoat it first is that I have seen someone who just painted the legs black to make them look like pants and it already looked awesome. So you might drive yourself crazy to get all kinds of bits added to them while in the end less ends up being more.
That seems like a great idea. I thought a little about making haemonculus, wracks and grotesques more flesh and robe likes. Make haemonculi and wracks out of Empire Flagellants and add wrack and pain engine bits to make them more deformed (greenstuff aswell ofcourse). And have the grotesques more mutated and grotesque and use the parts from the vampire monsters.
Back to top Go down
Malevolent-Storm
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Grotesques   Ideas for Grotesques I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23 2013, 21:31

I'm using the Rat Ogres from the Island of Blood box. You can get them fairly cheaply as bits. One comes with canisters attached to it and wicked weapon-arm. The other converts easily to look like it has a flesh gauntlet. I clipped the tail off and the tail from one looks kind of tentacle-ish -- there has to be some use for that. And they are plastic which IMO makes them vastly better than that Rinecast rubbish.

Kabal of the Malevolent Storm
Back to top Go down
http://malevolent-dice.blogspot.com
Poompkin
Slave
Poompkin

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Grotesques   Ideas for Grotesques I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 23 2013, 22:55

@Malevolent-Storm wrote:
I'm using the Rat Ogres from the Island of Blood box.  You can get them fairly cheaply as bits.  One comes with canisters attached to it and wicked weapon-arm.  The other converts easily to look like it has a flesh gauntlet.  I clipped the tail off and the tail from one looks kind of tentacle-ish -- there has to be some use for that.  And they are plastic which IMO makes them vastly better than that Rinecast rubbish.
Yeah, rat ogres from IoB is probably the cheapest.

Ideas for Grotesques Gimp-Squad

I found that on google.

They are made from crypt horrors and they look like I want my grotesques, so I will try to aim a bit like this. It will cost me a bit, but it will be a fun project.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Grotesques   Ideas for Grotesques I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24 2013, 03:20

Those look awesome, I hadn't Crypt Horrors done up to that extent yet. That will be very satisfying if you end up with something like these, go for it!

It might cost you to some extent, but it will still be less than buying X number of bog standard Grot's. I assume you will be using a bitz supplier somewhere, I'm not so sure they will be that expensive in the end, individually.

Looking forward to seeing them. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Grotesques   Ideas for Grotesques I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24 2013, 04:13

Had the Crypt Horrors been out when I painted my Grotesques I would have used them as well Twisted Evil

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Poompkin
Slave
Poompkin

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Grotesques   Ideas for Grotesques I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24 2013, 11:33

@Gobsmakked wrote:
Those look awesome, I hadn't Crypt Horrors done up to that extent yet.  That will be very satisfying if you end up with something like these, go for it!

It might cost you to some extent, but it will still be less than buying X number of bog standard Grot's.  I assume you will be using a bitz supplier somewhere, I'm not so sure they will be that expensive in the end, individually.

Looking forward to seeing them.  Cheers.
I will make them after I am done with pretty much everything else that goes in my army. Just need 1 venom, 20 kabalites, 6 kabalite trueborn, 20 wyches (I already have 10 wyches, but I want all of them to be female somI need multiple sets to get 15 female wyches), 2 more raiders, 1 razorwing and 3/5 ravagers (for the titan hunter apoc. formation).

But in the speed that I am working now, I should get all of this done fairely quick-ish.

And I for them I will get 2 packs of crypt horrors and 1 pack of talos, that way I have 1.5 talos boxes with bitz to have fun with. I know it will cost a bunch, but in my honest opinion, its worth it.
Back to top Go down
Khain mor
Sybarite
Khain mor

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Grotesques   Ideas for Grotesques I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24 2013, 23:49

Holy crap te painting on those crypt horors, they look like real GW models, When I get back to buying Coven stuff, i'm gonna have a blast converting these. I already got talos spare parts, but i'll have more when I get more cronos engines. The talos kit is really one of the best out of the range, you can convert pretty much all coven units with it.

The Biggest Kabal ever, be sure to check it out if you haven't, old and new units.
The Biggest Dark Eldar Apocalypse force you'll find on the net.

My Eldar Facebook Page, feel free to join. All Eldar factions allowed!
Back to top Go down
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254489
Poompkin
Slave
Poompkin

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Grotesques   Ideas for Grotesques I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05 2013, 17:22

And so it begins.

Ideas for Grotesques Iym7rOo

FYI, thats the norwegian price, so don't start getting upset by that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ideas for Grotesques   Ideas for Grotesques I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ideas for Grotesques
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-