THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Shaa-Dom Army List

Go down 
+3
Haemonculus
Phiandros
Vespax
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Vespax
Slave
Vespax

Shaa-Dom Army List Empty
PostSubject: Shaa-Dom Army List   Shaa-Dom Army List I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18 2013, 19:30

Fellow raiders,

After having played 40k and Fantasy for almost 15 years and, quite ashamedly, having done almost every army under the sun, I decided it was time for the final stop on the Warhammer train. Obviously, this is a huge decision for me, and I obviously want my final army to be as unique as possible. No Ultramarines for me!

Somehow, I ended up being drawn to the Dark Eldar... what that says about my character, I'm not sure. They seem great, and are one of the only armies that I haven't played with competitively. However, in the way of a themed force, you can really only go full-Kabal or full-Haemonculus/wrack/etcetera. When starting any new army, I really enjoy delving into the fluff extensively before making any purchases. When I came upon the article in the Lexicanum concerning the city of Shaa-Dom, a most fiendish idea began to bubble in the back of my subconscious: Dark Eldar with allied Slaaneshi Daemons.

Now now, I know what you'll be saying. Slaanesh is She Who Thirsts, we hate that bitch! But imagine with me for a moment, if you will, a MOST power-hungry Archon. I mean, this guy is as greedy, opulent, and intent on garnering riches as possible. When he and his Kabal stumble upon the now warp-infested ruin of Shaa-Dom, he encounters a Daemon Prince of Slaanesh who offers him a deal: lend me your souls and the souls of your constituents, and you will be helped along to ultimate glory. Now, the archon simply can't resist the pull of Slaanesh. Making a covenant with the god, he and his Kabal essentially sell their souls to Chaos as they continue along the path to glory.

Farfetched? Perhaps. But the thought of slapping down some pink and black Dark Eldar (à la Emperor's Children color scheme) has set me to drooling. Feel more than free to leave your comments and criticism, I want my final army to be something quite unique!

I've drafted up my first crack at a 1,250 point list. I like to build my armies slowly, usually converting/painting squad by squad, so I have plenty of time to tweak. Having never played much with Dark Eldar, I'm counting on you rapscallions to help me with my list! Here it is:

The Dark Coven
1,250 Points

Kabal of Ecstasy:

HQ:

Vespax, Prince of Pain – 95 Points
• Archon, Combat Drugs, Power Weapon, Ghostplate Armor

TROOPS:

Fleshripper Kinband – 185 Points
• 10 Kabalite Warriors, Dark Lance
• Raider , Night Shields

Soulstealer Kinband – 185 Points
• 10 Kabalite Warriors, Dark Lance
• Raider, Night Shields

ELITES:

Poisonborn – 131 Points
• 3 Trueborn, 2 Splinter Cannons
• Venom, Splinter Cannon, Night Shields

Shardborn – 131 Points

HEAVY SUPPORT:

The Predator – 115 Points
• Ravager, Night Shields

Allied Daemons: Panoply of Pleasure

HQ:

The Masque of Slaanesh – 75 Points
• The Masque of Slaanesh

TROOPS:

Pleasure Seekers – 115 Points
• 9 Daemonettes, Instrument of Chaos
• 1 Alluress, Lesser Daemonic Reward

Twisted Huntresses – 105 Points
• 9 Daemonettes

FAST ATTACK:

Reapers of Men – 109 Points
• 6 Seekers, Instrument of Chaos
• Heartseeker, Lesser Daemonic Reward

There's the list. I know it has some holes in it, but I'm not REALLY looking to powergame or anything with this one. Mostly for fun modeling/painting. That being said, I want it to be viable. I like winning, as I think most Dark Eldar players do at heart. Losses are so... unsatisfying.

Anyways, please leave comments/remarks/suggestions/whatever, I'm new to the forum so I thank you especially for your feedback.

Cheers,

Vespax

Last edited by Vespax on Sat Jul 20 2013, 16:01; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Vespax
Slave
Vespax

Shaa-Dom Army List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaa-Dom Army List   Shaa-Dom Army List I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18 2013, 19:45

P.S. I forgot to add this into my original post, but this is VERY GENERALLY how I want the army to perform.

I love 1,250 point lists, because it FORCES you to be meticulous about what units you include. Having now played a number of 6th edition games, two things seem to jump out at me most: Troops are crucial, and shooty armies are in the favor of Those That Be at Games Workshop. That being said, here's how I'd organize my battle strategy:

Warriors with raiders are quite simple. Keep the skimmer moving, use your Dark Lances in concert with Night Shields to frustrate mid-range enemy firepower, and generally harass the enemy near low-to-medium danger objectives. Keep them alive, if at all possible. Disembark near end game and hold objectives. Simple.

Trueborn Venom Teams have always seemed great to me. Night Shields combined with 20 Splinter Cannon shots while skimming... hard to beat. Also probably one of the more ultimate glass cannons in the game. Planning on keeping these guys spread out, FAR on the wings, and making sure they're ALWAYS mobile. If they get caught in a firing lane, it's lights out. High risk, high reward, Dark Eldar.

Ravager explains itself. Those Dark Lances better get their points back...

Now, to the Daemons. The Masque of Slaanesh is an ANIMAL. I mean, let's talk about this. WS7 BS6 S4 T3 W2 I7 A5 Ld8, rerollable 5++, Hit and Run, Rending, and 3 choices of a 12" range auto-cast that can reduce an enemy's BS by 5 and block overwatch... FOR 75 POINTS. The Masque will be a huntress of all things gunline, most likely deep-striking in with a squad of Daemonettes and then detaching during a combat to rove behind enemy lines once they're distracted. Oh, and she has fleet of foot and always adds 3" to her run distance...

Deep-striking Daemonettes will complement my highly mobile and highly shooty DE force perfectly. After having playtested some games with Daemons in 40k, I've found it's crucial to deep strike in a relatively safe location, then close with the Daemonettes' speed. Hopefully I'll get to synthesize the Herald's negation of Overwatch with a nice charge into, say, a unit of Crises Battlesuits? Goodbye all your damn markerlight shots, hello 1,000,000 rending CC attacks.

Seekers were kind of a last minute addition after moving some things around. They basically function just like the Daemonettes, but faster. Deep strike them even farther away, close the ground in the same amount of time. They're more killy, and only 12 points per model. Oh, and because all of my Daemon squads will have an Instrument of Chaos, as long as I get 1 reserve roll, they all come in if I so choose. Frightening.

Last but certainly not least: The Archon. What the hell do I do about him. I thought about changing a Trueborn squad to a blasterborn squad and putting him in the Venom, but I just don't know. That's where I really need your guys' help. <3

That's the VERY GENERAL idea. As you can see, I'm still trying to hash it out in my head, but I think it's tactically fairly sound. Very much a glass cannon army, with the potential to win games by a landslide OR lose games by a landslide. Sounds like fun to me!

Last edited by Vespax on Sat Jul 20 2013, 16:01; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Phiandros
Kabalite Warrior

Shaa-Dom Army List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaa-Dom Army List   Shaa-Dom Army List I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 18 2013, 20:25

Hello.

I have four inputs:

1, remove points for upgrades. It is against forum rules and could bring darkcity into problem with GW.
2. Your warriors in boats, 25p for dark lances that would force you to not move losing Jinx unless you disembark.
3. I think an archon with Shadowfield & Venom Blade woud outperform your archon, but haven't done the math.
4. If you have no plan for the archon then maybe you should change into cheap Heamy or Duke for Poison shooting buffing.
Back to top Go down
Haemonculus
Hellion
Haemonculus

Shaa-Dom Army List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaa-Dom Army List   Shaa-Dom Army List I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19 2013, 01:42

I love this Idea because I've been thinking of starting a Slaanesh Daemon army.. but I also love my Dark Eldar too much! So I thought a mix would be freakin' sweet (or even Emporor's Children allies)

Either way, I'd do something like this.

The Dark Coven
1,250 Points

Kabal of Ecstasy:

HQ:

Vespax, Prince of Pain – 95 Points
• Archon, Combat Drugs, Venom Blade, Clone Field (OR) Archon, Venom blade, Shadowfield.

TROOPS:

Fleshripper Kinband – 160 Points
• 10 Kabalite Warriors, Splinter cannon
• Raider

Soulstealer Kinband – 160 Points
• 10 Kabalite Warriors, Splinter Cannon
• Raider

ELITES:

Poisonborn – 153 Points
• 4 Incubi
• Venom, Splinter Cannon

Shardborn – 131 Points                 (OR)            Shardborn - 135     (Both are cool Incubi helpers)
• 3 Trueborn, 2 Splinter Cannons                      5 Trueborn, 4 Shredders
• Venom, Splinter Cannon, Night Shields             Venom, Splinter Cannon

HEAVY SUPPORT:

The Predator – 105 Points
• Ravager

Second Predator- 105
Ravager

Allied Daemons: Panoply of Pleasure

HQ:

Val’eyr, the Flayer – 65 Points
• Herald of Slaanesh, Greater Daemonic Reward

TROOPS:

Pleasure Seekers – 115 Points

Twisted Huntresses – 115 Points

FAST ATTACK:

Reapers of Men – 109 Points
• 6 Seekers, Instrument of Chaos
• Heartseeker, Lesser Daemonic Reward

The Daemons seem like there fine, in bigger points you NEED a Keeper of Secrets and a chariot.. because those things are awesome and soo cool!

In this list, the Daemonettes work with the Warrior squads, The Truborn work with the Incubi, Archon and Herald (After he deepstrikes) while seekers flank and the Ravagers take down armore (cause one isnt enough even for that point level)

Plus it's still awesome and fluffy
Back to top Go down
eris
Hellion

Shaa-Dom Army List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaa-Dom Army List   Shaa-Dom Army List I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19 2013, 10:54

You don't actually need to post points at all. Most of the list review comments given are related to list synergy and unit composition, we all know the points and it avoids the chance of any problems with gw if they're just left out. Smile

As for the list, I agree with Phiandros.. You'll get more mileage from a shadowfield / venom blade archon. He's more versatile, more resilient and slightly more killy esp against 2+ characters who he may often have to face in challenges.

Again Phiandros is on the money with the dark lance warriors in raiders. having them in the raider is a bad idea, the two just don't work together. If you move the raider you gain jink, but can only snapshot the dark lance, if you stay still you can fire the dark lance normally, but don't gain jink. either way one of them loses. You're either going to want to change the unit or just run the warriors on foot and let the raider go about it's business while empty.

For the trueborn i'd stick with the splinter cannons over the shredders. as people realise more and more that it's really easy to charge a venom hitting on 3s and glancing on 6s and take off it's 2 hull points (often killing the unit inside as there's nowhere to disembark), i'm finding that forcing yourself to get within 12" due to say the range of a shredder is maybe not helping you out all that much. keeping your distance with shooting units that you want to keep going all game is a good way of keeping them alive for longer.
Back to top Go down
Vespax
Slave
Vespax

Shaa-Dom Army List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaa-Dom Army List   Shaa-Dom Army List I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19 2013, 15:04

Thanks guys, some great advice already!

Sorry about the points thing, I'm kind of new to Warhammer blogging and totally forgot not to put up the points cost for upgrades.

The dark lances on raiders were actually a screw up from an original list I had made with them on foot. I'll absolutely be taking them in a DL Raider and giving them a splinter cannon.

Yeah I agree with you, Eris, I wasn't really planning on risking my Venoms by slapping them down close enough to be charged. I think I'll stick with the splinter cannon units of 3 trueborn.

Archon-wise, I appreciate the feedback. I still don't really have a feel for how an Archon is supposed to perform on the battlefield. I guess you guys are saying the 2+ poisoned is better than armor negation with a power weapon? I suppose since he only has 3 Strength he won't be opening many MEQs up, will he now...

Here's a revised list for you guys. It's so hard to fit things into 1,250 points... but I've basically done away with the unit of seekers (for now) and added a squad to get my Archon into the thick of it. Your classic patented Archon delivery system, as it were. He IS supposed to be killy in CC, and I'm not really comfortable running my Warlord around all alone on the table. Even with a Shadow Field. Heh.

The Dark Coven
1,250 Points

Kabal of Ecstasy:

HQ:

Vespax, Prince of Pain – 85 Points
• Archon, Venom Blade, Clone Field

TROOPS:

Fleshripper Kinband – 170 Points
• Raider, Night Shields

Soulstealer Kinband – 170 Points
• Raider, Night Shields

ELITES:

The Silent Cadre – 163 Points
• 4 Incubi

Poisonborn – 131 Points

Shardborn – 131 Points

HEAVY SUPPORT:

The Predator – 115 Points
• Ravager, Night Shields

Panoply of Pleasure

HQ:

The Masque of Slaanesh – 75 Points
• The Masque of Slaanesh

TROOPS:

Pleasure Seekers – 105 Points
• 9 Daemonettes

Twisted Huntresses – 105 Points
• 9 Daemonettes

Some quick explanations. I'm comfortable with getting rid of the Seekers, as they BASICALLY function the same as the Daemonettes. Faster, yes, but they're still getting deep struck and going straight for CC. I can drop them for now. The Archon is taking the Clone Field over the Shadow Field for a number of reasons. First, points are super tight, and every little bit counts. Second, I'm hoping to have him in combat as much as humanly possible. I tend to be playing against shootier armies, so I don't think most of my opponents will be able to cut him down with the Clone Field. Incubi in a Venom with Night Shields will hopefully have enough staying power to get him where he needs to be. I can even envision a nice one-two punch with the Herald swooping in, denying Overwatch, and watching the Incubi and Archon cut into a meaty enemy unit.

That's pretty much it. Keep the advice coming, people, I really appreciate it! Also feel free to leave your two cents on the fluff (see post #1). I like hearing suggestions about that as well.

Cheers

Vespax
Back to top Go down
Talos
Kabalite Warrior
Talos

Shaa-Dom Army List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaa-Dom Army List   Shaa-Dom Army List I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 20 2013, 23:48

Great army concept you got here!, you temped me to start bying deamons and try this out for myself, seem like there is lot of fun to be had here!

you have a aggressive list, with a lot of cc elements going on. However the incubi have no cc support except deamonetts, with might be fine. But those one eye open rolls can rely mess with any battle plan. Consider switching one of the warrior squads for wyches, or wracks,.
The get points for that, how about putting the deamonett squad together and ad a raptures (spelling?) standard?

And as a last note, have you considered switching the ravager for a talos or one of those deamonett chariots? Both talos and wracks open up a large possibility of conversion for half deamons and the like Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.olasart.se
Timatron
Sybarite
Timatron

Shaa-Dom Army List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaa-Dom Army List   Shaa-Dom Army List I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21 2013, 04:01

I am a keen Chaos Daemons player and have a sizable Slaanesh force with a bit of Tzeentch thrown in there for something in the shooting phase. Anyway, you seem to have made a quite substantial oversight when reading the codex entry for the Masque. Don't get me wrong, I love this girl, but she takes up a whole HQ slot by herself so it's quite a job to squeeze her in. I'm guessing you're now asking what I'm talking about and here's the explanation. If you carefully read the top of the Daemonic Heralds section of the Daemons codex you'll see a list of all the ones which you can take up to 4 for a single HQ slot in the force organization chart. It includes almost every type of Herald with 2 exceptions: The Blue Scribes and, yes, you guessed it, the Masque. Why are they not included, I hear you ask? Because they are not independent characters. They are single-model units and can never join squads. I hate to be the one to tell you, but your whole plan of joining the Masque to a squad of Daemonettes is not possible. She is the Dark Prince's exiled ex-handmaiden, after all. To be seen associating with her is probably bad for a Daemonette's standing in the palace of pleasure! So there you have it, she's a T3 2W model who has to go it alone; she'll die pretty easily I'm afraid. I wish it were otherwise, I love her model and rules too, just can't justify her in a list, especially as I have no Keeper of Secrets so my Daemon Prince has to take one HQ slot.
Back to top Go down
Ciirian
Sybarite
Ciirian

Shaa-Dom Army List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaa-Dom Army List   Shaa-Dom Army List I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21 2013, 08:03

I might be wrong, but in the story of Shaa-Dom did it say they were slaneesh demons? I thought they were something completly different then your typical "Chaos demon", tho I am not sure. Love the idea of using a story from codex that isnt often seen.
Back to top Go down
Timatron
Sybarite
Timatron

Shaa-Dom Army List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaa-Dom Army List   Shaa-Dom Army List I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21 2013, 13:29

I think you're getting mixed up with 'Iron Thorn', another closed off part of the realm, where all the people had been turned into strange metal creatures. I'm going by what is in Path of the Renegade. There is definitely a scene where they encounter Daemonettes and Seekers for sure.
Back to top Go down
Vespax
Slave
Vespax

Shaa-Dom Army List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaa-Dom Army List   Shaa-Dom Army List I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21 2013, 15:41

Ahh, Timatron, you are become "Timatron, Breaker of Hearts." No, but actually, that is quite a shame. I'll have to think about how to factor that into my game plan, if I even want to keep the Masque in the first place.

Also yeah, Ciirian, in response to your query, I believe the fluff notes that the warp drive of Vect's ship imploded, which would create a direct rift to the warp itself. That being said, I didn't see any EXPLICIT note of Slaaneshi daemons in particular, but I imagine Slaanesh would be the first one through that warp knowing that it was created by Dark Eldar. Thirsting for their souls and whatnot.

So, Timatron, you now have a task ahead of you: help me make this list something special. Given your experience with both Daemons and Dark Eldar, I think you're my man. E.G. what should I do about the Masque? Keep her? Scratch her? I love her dances, they're so juicy and I can imagine them causing great havoc on, say, a Tau gunline. But at the same time, like you noted, she's a T3 2 wound model. Yeesh. 5++ rerollable, but still...

I think as far as the core of the list goes, I'm still content. I want to preserve the 4 Troops choices. Talos, thanks for your input too! I recognize that the One Eye Open rolls can be a real bitch, which is why save for the Incubi, my DE contingent are all shooty. Hopefully, given the way my list is geared, there won't be too much of a problem with that roll. I'm definitely keeping the Ravager, although I like where your head's at with the whole fluffy thematic aspect of the army! Read below why I want to keep the Ravager.

P.S. Played my first game with the army on Vassal 40K. If you don't know what Vassal is or don't have it, check it out. It's really a must have in my opinion... beautifully done and the games actually go just as fast on Vassal as they do in real life once you get the hang of it. Anyways, I played against a Fire Warrior heavy Tau battleline (Cadre Fireblade and Ethereal for HQ). Despite my opponent making some ridiculously good saving rolls against all my poisoned shots, I have to say that my SC trueborn squads were beautiful. Consistently put between 7 and 13 wounds on whatever squad they shot at every turn. The other unit that outperformed itself was the Ravager. I ended up KOing both of his crisis teams with my Dark Lances (gotta love that instakill). In the end, I won 8-4, albeit given that I was running the Masque with one of my Daemonette squads... whoopsie...
Back to top Go down
Ciirian
Sybarite
Ciirian

Shaa-Dom Army List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaa-Dom Army List   Shaa-Dom Army List I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21 2013, 20:15

Thats awesome thinking, I wasnt trying to knock the idea just curious. Hope to see some pictures of your force.

I went a slightly different route with my Dark Eldar force and had my armies "Archon" be the son of Archon Draque of the Wraithkind before it was plunged to darkness. The "son" escaped to form his own land to rule in one of the pocket dimensions of the Old Eldar Empire.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shaa-Dom Army List Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shaa-Dom Army List   Shaa-Dom Army List I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shaa-Dom Army List
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Army Lists
-