THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

New High Elf models and their conversion possibilities

Go down 
AuthorMessage
RobRobSix
Slave

New High Elf models and their conversion possibilities Empty
PostSubject: New High Elf models and their conversion possibilities   New High Elf models and their conversion possibilities I_icon_minitimeThu May 23 2013, 05:34

Hey guys im a new member who been lurking for a bit reading heaps of info looking at lists etc. and i am about ready to start my army by getting a battalion and having a bit of a go.

My question is and im not sure if anyone has suggested this but how easy do you think the new high elf loremaster of hoeth would be to convert into an archon?
this is the one i mean if your not sure http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod2000075a
i was thinking of almost just hand swaps with our archon model to give him the huskblade/soul trap combo and maybe find a bare head that i like.

i have been out of the hobby for ages now and when i last converted models i was about 14-16 and really no good at it. im now 25 and looking for a few pointers to do the best job i can.

my biggest concern is having to cut the loremasters and the archons left hands to make this work and ive never used greenstuff and so im not sure how well i will be able to cover up any massive holes i create.

i was also looking at the new shadow warriors as possible bodies for my trueborn http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440062a&prodId=prod2000073a and was wondering if you guys think they would look any good with kabalite warrior arms stuck on or if they would need some conversion to make the armour look right??

any comments would be greatly appreciated
Back to top Go down
Shrike
Slave
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: New High Elf models and their conversion possibilities   New High Elf models and their conversion possibilities I_icon_minitimeThu May 23 2013, 06:09

Hey there. I started my DE army out with the battle force set as well, it was a great buy as I use everything in it regularly.

I think you are right, the Loremaster would make a very cool looking Archon with a simple Head/Weapon swap. I would also maybe either try to file over some of the High Elfy looking things on his torso like the suns on the tassets, or the heart thing on his should. You should have plenty of cool extra bits from the battle force box to put in their place, like some of the trophies from the Sybarite/Hekatrix pieces.

The Shadow warrior neck, head, and cape could be used to make some really cool Trueborn, I'm going to toy with that idea myself.

Greenstuff I have found to be easy to use, hard to master. Practice with very tiny amounts at first so you don't waste too much. Also I have found its easier to use if you dab the tips of your fingers and any tools with a bit of Vaseline, as it makes it not stick, and doesn't leave fingerprints.

As far as cutting the models both are plastic you should have no problem with simple plastic cutters. (I've even used fingernail clippers before) the hand looks extended from the body, so I wouldn't think there would be any issue there. The head may take a bit of concentration it you want to keep the collar, but it still looks pretty isolated from the rest of the model. Just replace with the ideas you already have (the Archon models arms are separate pieces, separating hands cleanly shouldn't be too tough), and I think that would be an awesome looking Archon.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
ravengoescaw
Heamonculi
ravengoescaw

PostSubject: Re: New High Elf models and their conversion possibilities   New High Elf models and their conversion possibilities I_icon_minitimeThu May 23 2013, 06:16

Cutting plastic, I do not like cutters of any type, especially with small bits like arms because they pinch the plastic, deforming it. An exacto knife will work perfectly fine, especially for arms, hands legs on soldier sized models. For green Stuff water work well.

https://www.thedarkcity.net/t12640-band-of-the-unbending-thorn#142250

Still fighting the world and saving damsels in distress. ~Raven
Back to top Go down
facelessabsalom
Wych
facelessabsalom

PostSubject: Re: New High Elf models and their conversion possibilities   New High Elf models and their conversion possibilities I_icon_minitimeThu May 23 2013, 08:36

I use exacto knife or hobby knife for cutting hands, wrists and alike. This way you get clean cuts and leave no massive holes to cover up. Using plastic cutters could ruin and make things messy like raven mentioned (i tried to cut necron wrists, the wrists got mashed).

I drill a hole into the arm or hand and put glue into the holes, insert pin and put the hand on (no need to hold the parts while waiting for the glue to set). If needed, I use liquid green stuff or simply green stuff to fill any cracks. Just make sure you let things set and take pauses between and you should do ok, I think it is easy to swap hands.
Back to top Go down
Amanita
Slave

PostSubject: Re: New High Elf models and their conversion possibilities   New High Elf models and their conversion possibilities I_icon_minitimeFri May 24 2013, 17:35

I think the loremaster would look pretty cool as an Archon myself. If you have the Hellions, you could use some of their trophies to replace any High Elf decorations you file off. As for the heart shaped gem, you could always scratch into it a little to make it look broken, like a shattered soulstone.

I've been thinking of taking the female heads from the Shadow warriors kit, and using them along with the bare male heads and cloaks from a set of Dark Elf corsairs for my own trueborn.
I was looking at the handmaiden model and thinking she might make a cool female Archon, but I'd need to get rid of that bow and arrows she's got- perhaps cut them away, and use that quiver as a large holster for a rifle. Not to mention tweaking that spearhead, perhaps mounting a huskblade onto it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New High Elf models and their conversion possibilities   New High Elf models and their conversion possibilities I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New High Elf models and their conversion possibilities
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: