THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

1000 point for upcoming friendly game

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
AvInNebr
Hellion

1000 point for upcoming friendly game Empty
PostSubject: 1000 point for upcoming friendly game   1000 point for upcoming friendly game I_icon_minitimeTue May 21 2013, 18:44

Hey archons... I'm putting together a 1000 point list for a friendly competitive game on weeknights and have the following I'd like to get some advice on...both with what works and what doesn't and what I should watch out for. (Likely playing mostly blood angels and/or chaos...)

HQ: Succubus w/ Venom Blade (70pts)

Troops: 2 5-man Warriors with a blaster in venoms (125pts each)
: 4 wyches plus Hekatrix, PGL, HWG in a raider (140pts) - Succubus will be in this unit

Fast Attack: 6 Reavers w/ Champion upgrade, 2 HL, 2 Cluster Caltrops (206pts)

Heavy: 2 Ravagers w/ DLs (105pts each)
: Talos w/ extra CCW, Twin Liquifier, Twin-Splinter Cannon (120pts)

Total 996 points.

Plan is to start the venoms and raider out front, no troops embarked, as a shield. Troops will embark first turn and move of course. Ravagers in the back to take out armor. Talos will also be out front as a target for their first turn and shield. Reavers sitting in the middle among troops ... no reserves.

Not sure about my HQ choice, nor the wyches honestly. The army as a whole feels a bit "short" but perhaps part of that is that I haven't used Reavers yet and I could be underestimating what they can do for me. I should have a good amount of AT at 1000 points with 2 ravagers and the Raider DL, plus the HL on the reavers ... and the wyches should they get into haywire range. AI I have two venoms plus troops and Reavers to bladevane. I have three troops choices which feels like one too few but not sure..................
Back to top Go down
cammy
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 1000 point for upcoming friendly game   1000 point for upcoming friendly game I_icon_minitimeTue May 21 2013, 18:53

Just a couple of things - thats a lot of points sunk on the Reavers - if you plan on using the Heatlances you dont really need to the Caltrops are you paying for a multi use which you want make the points back on.

If you want to go anti infantry though drop the HL.

Talos are an all of nothing, 1 doesnt really cut the mustard - they draw a tremedous amount of fire and if you only have 1 it wont last to long. If you ahve 2 however it forces people to make some tough decisions as they proberbly cannot deal with the 2 talos plus the rest of the army bearing down on them in 1 go.

4 man wyches with a succubus im gessing is you combat unit - however they are small and light- my advise would be to swap the warriors for Wracks and use the points saved to up that wyches unit size if that is a unit you want to keep.

Im not a fan of warriors with blasters in venoms - venoms are best at 36" blasting away and if they go pop the warriors mostly die. A blaster is 18" weapon so seems a bit wasted.

Antoher option would be to put the warriors as a 10 man squad in the Raider and use this as a gun boat with splinter wracks and have 2 5 man squads of wyches in the venoms, and use the venoms as a delivery & Support system
Back to top Go down
Ben_S
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 1000 point for upcoming friendly game   1000 point for upcoming friendly game I_icon_minitimeTue May 21 2013, 21:11

AvInNebr wrote:

: Talos w/ extra CCW, Twin Liquifier, Twin-Splinter Cannon (120pts)

The TL Liquifier replaces his original CCW, so he'll get no bonus for having an 'extra' CCW - in other words, that's a pointless upgrade.
Back to top Go down
Drev
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 1000 point for upcoming friendly game   1000 point for upcoming friendly game I_icon_minitimeTue May 21 2013, 21:48

I agree with much of what cammy says. A couple other thoughts as well:

At 1000 points your AT is probably overkill; never really a bad thing, but could use some balancing. With only 3 transports and troops you may be easy to leave stranded. I've learned the hard way to bring more troops. Ours die so easily and eventually you need at least some of them. I think the reavers are over-upgraded. In this small of a points level you have a lot sunk into a very fragile unit. Don't get me wrong, I have learned to love the jet bikes but 200+ points out of 1000 is a big commitment.

So what can you do? There are a lot of ways to go it depends on what you are committed to. I've tried to keep as much of your original list as possible. Just keep in mind that this is simply a set of thoughts, ultimately you can go in any direction.

HQ: Haemi naked - can be an overwatch soak for the wyches if you separate them out (gives up a warlord point though) and enables wracks as troops, saving a few points here and there.
Troops: 5 warriors - additional splinter goodness, no identity issues, can grab a mid-field objective (w/ the venom).
2 sets of 3x wracks with a liquifier in each each, back-field objective holders, go to ground with no great loss of effectiveness. These probably never need to actually see the inside of a transport unless it is late game. And 2x venoms that provide mobile AI and additional target saturation.
Wych squad with 6 wyches plus a hekatrix with a venom blade, HWGs for all. Still not a heavy assault unit but has a little more punch (especially if the heami takes the overwatch). Couldn't find the points for the PGL so be careful of charging cover. Raider.
In all four troop choices. Hurts less when you lose one or two, and you will.
FA: keep the 6 reavers and the arena champ, add a venom blade if you need to assault to finish off a depleted unit (and take advantage of the HoW attacks and the Hit & Run rules), drop the heat lances and the caltrops. I like the idea of the lances but the points...
HS: kept the same except for dropping the extra CCW on the Talos. It probably gets focused to death and if not, between smash or normal attacks it can get the job done. The extra points are used for the extra troop choice.

You could also think about dropping one of your HS choices and adding elsewhere. Experiment with what works for you and enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: 1000 point for upcoming friendly game   1000 point for upcoming friendly game I_icon_minitimeWed May 22 2013, 08:23

2 ravagers isn't overkill at 1k... infact I would run 3x just to be safe... dark lances are glorified missile launchers, meaning they are actually terrible in the long run...

Personally I would drop the reavers for another troop choice. At 1k you don't have enough points to start playing around with the fun things of our army due to needing the base building blocks (troops + ravagers). But if your dead set on them, drop the caltrops and the heat lances for blasters. This way you can skirt around outside of rapid fire range with their EJB move and protect them. Use the left over points from that and the Talos to ravager conversion (again as they said I don't think you need the Talos, but if you really want to, keep him, he is decent AI) and put those points into the wych squad. Give them more bodies and a weapon on the sargie so they can actually do something in combat. 4 wyches do nothing but throw haywires...

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Ben_S
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 1000 point for upcoming friendly game   1000 point for upcoming friendly game I_icon_minitimeWed May 22 2013, 10:11

Drev wrote:
Wych squad with 6 wyches plus a hekatrix with a venom blade, HWGs for all. ... Couldn't find the points for the PGL so be careful of charging cover.

Don't they have plasma grenades anyway?
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: 1000 point for upcoming friendly game   1000 point for upcoming friendly game I_icon_minitimeWed May 22 2013, 16:57

they do, but you normally take the PGL to give the defensive grenades, so that they get stealth against most overwatch. Tie tat with charging through cover, and you got yourself a 3+~4+ coversave against overwatch

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Ben_S
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 1000 point for upcoming friendly game   1000 point for upcoming friendly game I_icon_minitimeWed May 22 2013, 17:08

Ok, so the PGL isn't useless for that reason (overwatch), but Drev's initial point was 'be careful of charging cover' - that shouldn't be a problem, because plasma grenades avoid the initiative penalty. (Overwatch applies whether charging cover or not.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1000 point for upcoming friendly game   1000 point for upcoming friendly game I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1000 point for upcoming friendly game
Page 1 of 1