THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Hard line highlights

Go down 
+4
maelstrom48
xzandrate
Sky Serpent
orestes85
8 posters
AuthorMessage
orestes85
Hellion
orestes85

Hard line highlights Empty
PostSubject: Hard line highlights   Hard line highlights I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03 2013, 22:36

Hey guys,

I've begun making samples to test out how I am going to paint out the army. I'm starting with the kabalite warriors but most dark eldar units are similar with the armour edges being highlighed. Does anyone have some tips or techniques to get clean nice looking hard line highlights? I don't seem to have the skill yet to make the lines clean. I do multiple layers to get the glow its just I don't get my line straight.

A friend of mine is saying I should be dry brushing the edges but the videos I've watch I don't see people doing this. The surface is just sooo small it looks hard to do.

Anyways, any tips for getting a nice highlighted edge?
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Hard line highlights   Hard line highlights I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03 2013, 23:08

A good way to do this to paint with the side of your brush. Be careful not to use too much paint but what you are doing is brushing/rubbing the edge of the paint brush along the edge of the model which will give very clean and straight results.

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
https://www.thedarkcity.net
orestes85
Hellion
orestes85

PostSubject: Re: Hard line highlights   Hard line highlights I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04 2013, 01:39

Ha, the side of the brush, I haven't been doing that. Thanks for the advice as always.
Back to top Go down
xzandrate
Kabalite Warrior
xzandrate

PostSubject: Re: Hard line highlights   Hard line highlights I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04 2013, 14:21

Drybrushing is probably quicker, but you are going to a bit of 'over spray' with such a small area.

One of the best tricks I've picked out of some videos for drybrushing, use a stippling brush. It's rounded and seems to allow a bit better control for a heavier or lighter drybrush. Just my observation from using it, but I'm in no ways an expert painter.
Back to top Go down
maelstrom48
Slave
maelstrom48

PostSubject: Re: Hard line highlights   Hard line highlights I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04 2013, 14:36

I like to use a combination of drybrushing and fine highlights (using the technique Sky Serpent suggested). After highlighting, you give the model a thinned down wash. It makes the highlights a bit more crisp, plus covers up the effects of overzealous drybrushing.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Hard line highlights   Hard line highlights I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04 2013, 20:57

Side of the brush, thats the most important advice.

darkmark
Kabalite Warrior
darkmark

PostSubject: Re: Hard line highlights   Hard line highlights I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04 2013, 21:17

Buy a decent size 1 brush to start with. Form a triangle with your arms, putting elbows on table, while holding your model, this will help keep you steady. Control your breathing, and then just keep practising till you get it right. Using the side of the brush is a good tip too.

Dry brushing is best used for painting rocks or sand on basing NOT your lovely models. Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

PostSubject: Re: Hard line highlights   Hard line highlights I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04 2013, 22:38

darkmark is spot on with everything. As others have said using the edge and having a steady hold for your arms are the two most important things.

I'd like to add the right consistency of paint. Straight from the pot might cover best, but is grainy and uneven. Heavily watered down will just go about anywhere, but not where you want it. I'd aim for something slightly thicker than milk if you're going for hard highlights. Experiment a bit until you get the desired effect and remember the mixing ratio for the future.

As for drybrushing: That depends on how much of an artist you are. I know a lot of people who are happier the faster the painting goes. They are absolutely fine with the model looking messy as long as it looks alright from farther away when the army fights on the table top. These guys are the "pure" gamers.

I for one care a lot about the look of my models as the hobby is at least half the time painting and modelling - even more than that for me. If you're like me, avoid drybrushing save for sand and rocks or really annoying highly textured pieces of hair that just won't let themselves get highlighted properly or you'll regret it in a few weeks, months or years. I did some drybrushing on the first army I painted and I'm seriously considering to redo it for I can't stand the messiness of it.
Back to top Go down
Yllithian
Slave
Yllithian

PostSubject: Re: Hard line highlights   Hard line highlights I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05 2013, 21:56

@Sky Serpent wrote:
A good way to do this to paint with the side of your brush. Be careful not to use too much paint but what you are doing is brushing/rubbing the edge of the paint brush along the edge of the model which will give very clean and straight results.

I second this. It's a great way to apply paint without having to be troubled with the " small shaking precision strokes" that can miss it's aim in the start before you get more accustomed it. When you have trained enough and getting your skill upp I also have this tip, and it's much like when you shoot with a rifle that you inhale and hold your breath during the precision stroke. It can help you to get the focus together and hold you hand steady. You can also exhale and then apply it precisely afterwards. Works great for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hard line highlights   Hard line highlights I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hard line highlights
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-