THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Problems with snow

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Panic_Puppet
Wych

Problems with snow Empty
PostSubject: Problems with snow   Problems with snow I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25 2013, 12:17

As the topic says. I'm having a lot of trouble with my snow bases. I've got a generic 'wasteland' style base - GW sand painted dark brown, drybrushed lighter brown, drybrushed bone, and am then adding patches of GW snow to it with PVA. The problem is that no matter how many layers I do, the snow looks fine for a while, and then over the course of time (several days-weeks) the snow turns an orangey-brown colour. Does anyone have any ideas as to what's causing this and, more importantly, how to fix it?

Last edited by Panic_Puppet on Mon Mar 25 2013, 12:36; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tony Spectacular
Kabalite Warrior
Tony Spectacular

Problems with snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problems with snow   Problems with snow I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25 2013, 12:31

Are you letting all of the paint dry completely before adding the snow? Or, alternately, do you tend to eat cheesy snacks while gaming? Laughing

Wych

Problems with snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problems with snow   Problems with snow I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25 2013, 12:36

Yes and no respectively. I'm aware of how absorbent the sand is, so I let the paint dry overnight before adding the snow. I'm about to test it by adding snow to a model that was based last week and seeing if that turns orange too...

Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

Problems with snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problems with snow   Problems with snow I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25 2013, 21:43

Perhaps seal the bases after painting and before applying the snow? Matt varnish?
Back to top Go down
Panic_Puppet
Wych

Problems with snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problems with snow   Problems with snow I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25 2013, 22:14

Sealing it's been suggested, but I'm at the irritating point where most of the army's been done - the fact that it takes a while to take effect is killer as I think the problem's fixed when in fact, it is not. The guys in my local GW have kindly offered to take a look at things when I've got my army in for campaign night tomorrow though, so hopefully that'll help

Hellion
Archon Darkanis

Problems with snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problems with snow   Problems with snow I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 31 2013, 19:11

I've never used GW snow, I use Gale Force Nine snow and I've never had an issue like yours. I mostly do city (concrete, dark gray-light grey highlights) style bases with snow though. I have done blood splatter and drops with the GFN snow and had no problems with it bleeding through.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Problems with snow Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problems with snow   Problems with snow I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Problems with snow
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-