THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Reavers & Blasters

Go down 
AuthorMessage
dokclaw
Slave

Reavers & Blasters Empty
PostSubject: Reavers & Blasters   Reavers & Blasters I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 08 2013, 20:47

I've only played 3 games with my DE so far, but I have run 12-15 reavers each time. I'm beginning to think that blasters are not such a great buy for the unit, am I wrong? It bumps them up the target priority list, as well as increasing their points cost and reducing their saves (because of not moving as much). Am I wrong here?
Back to top Go down
average joe
Kabalite Warrior
average joe

Reavers & Blasters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reavers & Blasters   Reavers & Blasters I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 08 2013, 22:20

One of the great things about this site is the excellent tips you can pick up by reading the discussion on just about any thread. There are some really good threads on Reavers here. One very practical tip I picked up is to take advantage of the Skilled Riders and Eldar Jetbike assault phase movement to park my Reavers in 4+ cover when shooting. That takes care of one of your concerns. As for whether or not you think it worthwhile for your Reavers to have blasters is really a matter of your preference for how you wish to use Reavers in your army.
Back to top Go down
Aschen
Sybarite
Aschen

Reavers & Blasters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reavers & Blasters   Reavers & Blasters I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 08 2013, 23:30

The way I see it... Tanks mean heavy weapons.... Heavy weapons mean death to our armor 10 vehicles. So you can never have TOO MUCH anti-tank
Back to top Go down
Creeping Dementia
Hellion

Reavers & Blasters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reavers & Blasters   Reavers & Blasters I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09 2013, 01:09

The general guideline is to either take blasters (or heatlances), or Caltrops, but not both. To go the route of Blasters, the Reavers become a threat to everything. Yes that does mean they are more of a target priority, but one of the big jobs of Reavers is to be the ultimate harrassment unit. Distract your opponent with Reavers enough so the rest of your army can do its job better.

The other route is to make them ultra-specialized. With Cluster-Caltrops they never have to present themselves as a target, and are great at killing infantry. Only drawback is they have no use against tanks.

I you feel like you don't need the extra anti-tank, then by all means enhance their anti-infantry abilities (or keep them cheap). Most people, myself included, generally do need those extra blasters at the moment.

Arena Champion
Mushkilla

Reavers & Blasters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reavers & Blasters   Reavers & Blasters I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09 2013, 06:01

Blasters are a solid buy, but like Creeping Dementia said it really depends what you want to do with them. How are you running your reavers at the moment? What is the first move you make with them on your first turn?

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
mug7703
Sybarite

Reavers & Blasters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reavers & Blasters   Reavers & Blasters I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09 2013, 08:08

@Creeping Dementia wrote:

The other route is to make them ultra-specialized. With Cluster-Caltrops they never have to present themselves as a target, and are great at killing infantry. Only drawback is they have no use against tanks.

I you feel like you don't need the extra anti-tank, then by all means enhance their anti-infantry abilities (or keep them cheap). Most people, myself included, generally do need those extra blasters at the moment.

Without AT weapons I'd find that in a lot of games I wouldn't really be able to do much with them on T1 or T2 as the enemy aren't spread out enough - or are spread out enough to be in flamer range of me wherever I blade vane to. Having the Blasters (or Heat Lances) really helps them out as a multirole unit. As Mushkilla said once, if you take cluster caltrops, you're more inclined to do risky attacks with them and leave them vulnerable to dying just to justify the cost of the caltrops.
Back to top Go down
http://www.trevelyanharper.co.uk
baster
Kabalite Warrior
baster

Reavers & Blasters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reavers & Blasters   Reavers & Blasters I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09 2013, 11:00

i keep em cheap, i put HL on them only. i run 6 reavers with 2 HL, i start them in reserve and use them to (normally) blade vine the turn they arrive to get them into position, giving you a 3+ cover save, near a tank if their are any left. most players are rightly scared of what the HL can do and change their game plan to take out the new threat. if they arrive late they are great for stealing line breaker or stopping an important objective falling into enemy hands, they can hold their own in CC and hit and run, so when you need those couple of troops dead they can handle that 2
Back to top Go down
Nappen
Kabalite Warrior
Nappen

Reavers & Blasters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reavers & Blasters   Reavers & Blasters I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09 2013, 12:19

I have gone back to mostly HL. It does mean you have to get a bit closer to the enemy tank, but I was just failing too much with the blasters and that extra melta damage is really nice. It does mean that you have to get within 9 inches instead of 18, but the fall back move should get you into some cover either way, and if you do pop a transport, you can then charge and get a HOR hit Smile
Back to top Go down
dokclaw
Slave

Reavers & Blasters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reavers & Blasters   Reavers & Blasters I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09 2013, 12:55

I've had success (bearing in mind the small sample size) keeping them in reserve and bladevaning turn 1, then spending the rest of the fight bladevaning until all my other blasters inevitably fail to kill the one thing I need to kill, then I slow down and blaster that thing...

I'll certainly give heat lances a go, but even though I like BV attacks, I'm not sure I can justify 20pts for Caltrops (why so expensive?).
Back to top Go down
Nappen
Kabalite Warrior
Nappen

Reavers & Blasters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reavers & Blasters   Reavers & Blasters I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 09 2013, 21:23

The do a lot of damage to an infantry squad. D6 S6 hits will wound most infantry models on a two.
Back to top Go down
curebdc
Hellion
curebdc

Reavers & Blasters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reavers & Blasters   Reavers & Blasters I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10 2013, 01:41

An extra reaver body will always be better though over that 20pt caltrops... Im in the same boat as most of you looks like, 6 reavers with 2 heat lances. Thats like 150pts or so for a great threat unit. My best game with them was, deep strike in, turbo blade vane (killing an oblit) while getting into position, next turn blasting open the fortress of redemtion and hiding behind cover again. when the fortress fell it killed a 20man cultist squad and a Lord too. LOL.

were long be-nightmared."
-Keats
Back to top Go down
baster
Kabalite Warrior
baster

Reavers & Blasters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reavers & Blasters   Reavers & Blasters I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10 2013, 04:47

i found when i run 9 reavers the points spent on them don't equal out for return. i would run 2 units of 6 over the 1 unit of 9. that's my opinion tho, others have greater success then me with reavers. i like them to harry a flank or go after what i would call redundant targets, eg the last survivors of tau warrior unit or 2/3 tactical squad, if their was a vehicle left when they arrive as i always start them in reserve i try to blade vine to get in position for a lance strike next turn if its not already an option when they arrive.

they certainly do become a target early on so as you use them more you will see for yourself how fragile they can be, but also how great a resource they can be too. i think they are our best multi roll unit and certainly up their in the game.
Back to top Go down
Nappen
Kabalite Warrior
Nappen

Reavers & Blasters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reavers & Blasters   Reavers & Blasters I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10 2013, 10:16

I use the fact that they are targets to my advantage. Turbo boost with a bladevane attack wil draw them too you like moths to a flame, and then the can soak up a ton of shots with the three plus cover save. Even if they end up getting taken out, the number of shots that didn't hit your other units makes it worth it. If they live, then your in position to use the heat lance next turn cheers

Have to watch out for anything that ignores cover-flamers, thunderfire cannons etc.

Agree, would rather have another reaver than bladevanes.
Back to top Go down
Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

Reavers & Blasters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reavers & Blasters   Reavers & Blasters I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 11 2013, 10:07

remember EJB have the 2d6 movement in the assault phase if they didnt turbo boost. You basically do the classic jump-shoot-jump tactic and hide behind LOS blocking terrain every turn after you shoot those blasters into a tank.

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Reavers & Blasters Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reavers & Blasters   Reavers & Blasters I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reavers & Blasters
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA