THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.



 
HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

 

 Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mug7703
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 409
Join date : 2012-09-19
Location : Brighton

Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions   Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03 2013, 13:41

Hi guys! So I have an idea for a colour scheme for my DE but I'd like some suggestions on what to highlight it with.

The base coat will be Necron Abyss over a black undercoat. Now I'm in two minds about doing a blue wash over this but wash or not, what do you guys suggest as a good first and second highlight blue for the edges of the armour? I want the models to look quite dark but at the same time slightly proud and regal. To reflect this I'm going to do all the cloaks and cloth bits on models in a deep red. (Imagine a Spartan cloak or Roman pretorian robe). The weaponry will be a combination of gold and silver. Any ideas guys? Many thanks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.trevelyanharper.co.uk
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

Posts : 397
Join date : 2011-11-22
Location : Germany

Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions   Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03 2013, 19:07

Well aside from the Necron Abyss problem you have (there should be an equivalent in the GW paint range I think) I have 2 ideas as for what to highlight it with:

either go for something like Hawk Turquoise... new name is Sotek green or stick with blue and do Enchanted Blue or Ice Blue as a highlight... new names are different, but the colour schould be easy to spot. For things like eyes, gems, weapons and glows I'd choose a complimentary colour which would be either purple, orange or yellow. You can go for bright greens or red as well, but that stretches the regular observers view on aesthetics quite a bit... from my experience with people that is.

If you don't want everything in those 2 colours pick a third neutral color like a dark brown, grey or white.

Hope this helps.

Dogmar
Back to top Go down
mug7703
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 409
Join date : 2012-09-19
Location : Brighton

Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions   Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 03 2013, 19:23

@Dogmar wrote:
Well aside from the Necron Abyss problem you have (there should be an equivalent in the GW paint range I think)
I've actually found somewhere I can get a couple of pots so I have more than enough to do my entire army with Smile
@Dogmar wrote:
I have 2 ideas as for what to highlight it with:

either go for something like Hawk Turquoise... new name is Sotek green or stick with blue and do Enchanted Blue or Ice Blue as a highlight... new names are different, but the colour schould be easy to spot. For things like eyes, gems, weapons and glows I'd choose a complimentary colour which would be either purple, orange or yellow. You can go for bright greens or red as well, but that stretches the regular observers view on aesthetics quite a bit... from my experience with people that is.

If you don't want everything in those 2 colours pick a third neutral color like a dark brown, grey or white.

Hope this helps.

Dogmar

I actually have both Enchanted Blue and Ice Blue but they seem very brighton as highlights....I thought perhaps to have something in between Necron Abyss and Enchanted Blue (perhaps a 1:1 mix of both) for the first highlight and then Enchanted blue as the second highlight or would that not stand out very much?

Does Blue clash with red then as you said it 'stretches the regular observers view on aesthetics'?
Back to top Go down
http://www.trevelyanharper.co.uk
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

Posts : 397
Join date : 2011-11-22
Location : Germany

Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions   Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 06 2013, 14:34

Mixing enchanted blue with necron abyss for the first layer is fine, pure enchanted blue as a second is fine too. If you think it's enough stick with that, if you feel you need something brighter go for very tiny highlights with a enchanted blue / ice blue mixl

In my opinion red does clash with blue, as it is neither a complimentary colour (that would be yellow) nor is it that analogic with blue (that would be turquoise or purple). I think it sort of stings in the eye, but you might now the Crimson Fists space marine chapter. They use a Dark Blue and Blood Red and look alright, even though not my personal taste. In the end it comes down to how and where you apply the colours. If you did your army in mostly blue and used red just for glow eyes and weapons for example that'd be fine as red is then not a dominant colour. If however the model is 50:50 red and blue then it would look odd.

Sorry for such confusing ramblings, but I hope that makes sense.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
mug7703
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 409
Join date : 2012-09-19
Location : Brighton

Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions   Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07 2013, 00:38

@Dogmar wrote:
Mixing enchanted blue with necron abyss for the first layer is fine, pure enchanted blue as a second is fine too. If you think it's enough stick with that, if you feel you need something brighter go for very tiny highlights with a enchanted blue / ice blue mixl

In my opinion red does clash with blue, as it is neither a complimentary colour (that would be yellow) nor is it that analogic with blue (that would be turquoise or purple). I think it sort of stings in the eye, but you might now the Crimson Fists space marine chapter. They use a Dark Blue and Blood Red and look alright, even though not my personal taste. In the end it comes down to how and where you apply the colours. If you did your army in mostly blue and used red just for glow eyes and weapons for example that'd be fine as red is then not a dominant colour. If however the model is 50:50 red and blue then it would look odd.

Sorry for such confusing ramblings, but I hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Not at all it makes very good said. Yea the only red I'd be using would be on the warrior sashes that hang down from their belts. However, reading this advice makes me think I might make them orange but I don't know if that would look to bright or a bit lame. Failing that I could just do them in the cream colour that is on all the boxes and in the codex.

The other red was initially for the trueborn cloaks (they're going to have black arc corsair cloaks to distinguish them from Kabalite warriors). This would bring the ratio closer to 50:50 on the model so what colour cloaks would better compliment the blue armour?

Many thanks for your advice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.trevelyanharper.co.uk
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

Posts : 397
Join date : 2011-11-22
Location : Germany

Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions   Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07 2013, 13:45

For the loincloth on your kabalites I'd say try both, you can always repaint it. Red is a little more outside the box than cream and I actually think orange could look really good. Remember those poisonous lizards?! Very Happy

As for the cloaks, they are sea dragon cloaks, so they have scaly structure, a cream colour would certainly look odd there, you might just try red and see how it looks. Your trueborn want to be different after all Very Happy If that doesn't please you I'd suggest something more in line with your blue base colour like turquoise or the old scaly green if you have access to it. There might be a similar colour in the new range. In the end it's your army so you should try it out and take what you're most happy with. Of course I'm honored that you think of my advice as so important Smile

Have fun painting your test model(s) Smile
Back to top Go down
mug7703
Sybarite
avatar

Posts : 409
Join date : 2012-09-19
Location : Brighton

Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions   Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07 2013, 14:55

@Dogmar wrote:
For the loincloth on your kabalites I'd say try both, you can always repaint it. Red is a little more outside the box than cream and I actually think orange could look really good. Remember those poisonous lizards?! Very Happy

As for the cloaks, they are sea dragon cloaks, so they have scaly structure, a cream colour would certainly look odd there, you might just try red and see how it looks. Your trueborn want to be different after all Very Happy If that doesn't please you I'd suggest something more in line with your blue base colour like turquoise or the old scaly green if you have access to it. There might be a similar colour in the new range. In the end it's your army so you should try it out and take what you're most happy with. Of course I'm honored that you think of my advice as so important Smile

Have fun painting your test model(s) Smile

Oh I do believe all the advice on this fine forum is valuable. Smile

For the sashes I'm going to try orange and I like the idea of green influenced colours on the cloaks. I'm thinking of following the citadel's Dark Eldar scheme which is: Incubi Darkness - Coelia Greenshade - Kabalite Green - Sybarite Green - Hellion Green - Waywatcher Green. This will hopefully fit with the Necron Abyss/blue armour right? It'll be a while before I paint the trueborn though as I haven't bought the cloaks yet.

Pics of first test model will hopefully be up in a week or so if I can get enough painting in. Then people can leave their thoughts before I cover the rest of my army in clashing colours Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.trevelyanharper.co.uk
Sponsored content




Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions   Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
Necron Abyss colour scheme highlight and complimentary colour suggestions
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

 :: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: