THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Blending

Go down 
+3
Evil Space Elves
Balisong
Lord Clazaryn
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Lord Clazaryn
Kabalite Warrior
Lord Clazaryn

Blending Empty
PostSubject: Blending   Blending I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10 2013, 00:23

So you probably didn't notice but I painted up a squad of warriors for the monthly vow and when I finished and photographed them I was thoroughly unsatisfied. The problem is is that I'm currently doing a three layer technique which means there is no opportunity to mix the colours. This creates the very artificial effect you see here.
Blending Imag0116
So I'm wondering how people like ESE manage to get that perfect transition, the paint seems to dry too fast for me to be able to mix on the model...
Back to top Go down
Balisong
Sybarite

Blending Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blending   Blending I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10 2013, 00:51

Wet Pallette is key. It keeps the paint from drying out and will thin it out quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

Blending Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blending   Blending I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10 2013, 01:17

@Balisong wrote:
Wet Pallette is key. It keeps the paint from drying out and will thin it out quite a bit.

WINNER! cheers
Seriously, a wet palette makes blending a hundred times easier. I painted for almost 20 years before I tried one for the first time. There is no going back. I cheat a bit and have many of the different layers of highlights pre-mixed, but the wet palette makes blending 10 times easier by keeping the consistency of the paint constant over the entire duration of your painting session. You can even cover the palette when you're done to keep the paint ready to go for days on end.

Oh and by the way, those models look damned sexy! I might be a sucker for magenta DE, but your models truly look sharp. (I bame my modem being down for not seeing those earlier Mad ) Looking forward to more! Twisted Evil

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Balisong
Sybarite

Blending Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blending   Blending I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 10 2013, 03:33

This is what I use:
http://www.dickblick.com/products/masterson-sta-wet-premier-palette/

However a few folks locally just do this:
http://handcannononline.com/blog/2012/06/15/a-beginners-guide-to-wet-palates-build-your-own/

I prefer the former because it gives me more room to blend, has a lid and I can keep the same paints I started the mini with through finishing it. Even if it takes me days or weeks to finish a project.
Back to top Go down
mug7703
Sybarite

Blending Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blending   Blending I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26 2013, 03:56

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't really get what 'wet pallatte' is or how it works. Can anyone explain?

I've been buying models for the past few months and have played games with them but they're all unpainted. It's partly a psychological thing. I haven't painted since I slopped some paint on models when I was 10 and that was over a decade ago. I don't want to ruin what I've spent ages building lol. Currently searching this forum for good painting guides. I have a colour scheme. But need some advice on realising it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.trevelyanharper.co.uk
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

Blending Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blending   Blending I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26 2013, 04:22

A wet palette keeps the paint at the same consistency for not minutes or hours, but DAYS. Without one blending becomes difficult immediately after applying paint a dry palette/tile/cardboard/whatever you are putting your paint on before putting it on your brush. Drying paint makes smooth transitions iffy to impossible.

Back to top Go down
mug7703
Sybarite

Blending Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blending   Blending I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26 2013, 04:47

Okay wow! You just literally put the paint on the 'wet palette' and it stays? How long do the wet palettes last for? Can they be washed out etc for other paints to be mixed on them?
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

Blending Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blending   Blending I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26 2013, 04:54

You simply change out the sheet of parchment paper(where you put the paint). You can cover the palette when you finish painting. The paint, even washes keep their consistency for days, even a week or two. I painted for nearly 20 years without one; I'll never go back.

Back to top Go down
mug7703
Sybarite

Blending Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blending   Blending I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26 2013, 13:48

Sounds great! I'll have to check that out! Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

Blending Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blending   Blending I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26 2013, 14:11

Honestly, even a quickly made wet palette (like the one I use) consisting of a plastic tray, a wet cloth and some baking paper will allow the paint to stay wet and consistent for several hours at the very least. Like ESE said, there simply is no going back. Wet palettes are awesome.

Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Blending Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blending   Blending I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26 2013, 14:22

I started using a wet palette but the paint seemed to #split' when left for more than a few hours. Anyone else had this?

Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

Blending Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blending   Blending I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26 2013, 15:12

I have had that happen from time to time, especially with colors that I have mixed with different brands(usually P3 and GW paints). I usually have to mix a bit more fresh paint in to get the consistency back. It doesn't happen all the time, but does pop up here and there.

Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

Blending Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blending   Blending I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 26 2013, 17:44

Yes, the "splitting" happens to me as well, mostly to paints that have to be shaken before use because their thinner has separated away from their pigments. Most of the new GW paints also have this issue, because it really seems to me that they're using a different thinner agent as they used to, and so all paints that are mixed with them can change consistency on the palette after a while. It's a bit annoying, but all it takes is a quick mix and they're good to go again.

Then again, I'm using water to dilute them. Maybe all the fancy artist's paint thinners get rid of this symptom.

foeofnight
Hellion
foeofnight

Blending Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blending   Blending I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 27 2013, 01:40

Just to provide a second opinion on this topic...

I personally don't have the patience nor skills atm to blend every plate of armor on my army... but I still want a nice even transition between darks and lights....

So, I drybrush

Start with a black base coat > drybursh the first layer on (warlock purple) > drybrush a second layer (warlock purple with skull white 2:1) > edge highlight (emperors chosen pink) > and lastly wash with the purple wash.

In my opinion the key is the wash at the end to help blend your dry brushes together giving a nice even cover.

Blending Dsc0006640x303

Here is an example though I am still trying to master my photography, so the colors are a little washed out.

Blending Warriorsde2

And here is a WIP that shows the dry brush with some edging done prior to a wash
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Blending Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blending   Blending I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Blending
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-