THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

1,000 competitive army for this weekend

Go down 
+4
Darklight
pantofful
Niiai
mug7703
8 posters
AuthorMessage
mug7703
Sybarite

1,000 competitive army for this weekend Empty
PostSubject: 1,000 competitive army for this weekend   1,000 competitive army for this weekend I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31 2013, 10:20

Hi there chaps! Thought I'd run a potential list for this weekend's battles past you guys and submerge myself in the depths of your wisdom.

Haemonculi w/LFG - 60pts

3 Wracks, Venom w/2xSC - 95pts

9 Reavers w/3xHL, Champion - 244pts

Ravager - 105pts
Ravager - 105pts
Ravager - 105pts

Total = 999pts

So it's clearly a shooting based MSU type list but for the large Reaver blob whom the Haemon starts with to give them FNP, then joining a nearby Wrack squad in or out of their Venom depending on deployment options and objectives/terrain.

To justify the two things people will probably criticise the most (although please continue to do so and your thoughts are most welcome).

1) 3 Wracks in a Venom rather than 5 Warriors w/B. This is because:
- I have enough AT (12 lance weapons)
- 3 Wracks are as (if not more survivable) than 5 Warriors especially when the Venom gets shot as it's 3 S4 hits on a T4 unit who get a 6+ save before their 5+ FNP vs 5 S4 hits on a T3 unit with just the 5+ save
- Venom gunboats encourage me to engage the enemy close up (within 24") to make use of their splinters and blaster which means that a) I like to take NS for 10 extra points and b) I draw more firepower. Not having any guns to fire on the Venom means I can stay 35" away and move 12 and fire all my guns. I just think SCs are better.
- Saving 30pts or more per gunboat gets me an entire extra Venom with 3 Wracks. I'm testing whether 4 Venoms w/Wracks is better than 3 Gunboats.
- I can contest/hold 4 objectives
- Target saturation (which is huge for our army) although more VPs to surrender.

2) The Reaver blob. I've found this unit is worth all the points because of all the points raised in numerous places on this forum. I know Blasters would synergise better than HLs but it's what the models have (before I get round to magnetising them), and it would take me over 1000pts. I just have to use them smartly - as always.

Those are just my justifications for the list. What are people's thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://www.trevelyanharper.co.uk
Niiai
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 competitive army for this weekend   1,000 competitive army for this weekend I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31 2013, 11:41

Looks good. A bit cheesy perhaps with the minimum wrack in venoms. I like fighting models and units. not transports. 5th edition be gone long stay dead. But cheese aside it looks good.

Have you considered to give the hamonculus the sniper weapon instead or do you see yourself flying close to something and flame it? In 5th edition it was a great tactic to have 9 wytches move out of a raider with a pain token leaving the flaming haemonculy inside. I am unshure in 6th edition, although flamer templates are always fun.

What I like about your list is that you have decent AT in the reavers and ravagers. The reavers will hopefully also get a pain token at some point giving you resilience.
Back to top Go down
mug7703
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 competitive army for this weekend   1,000 competitive army for this weekend I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31 2013, 19:37

@Niiai wrote:
Looks good. A bit cheesy perhaps with the minimum wrack in venoms. I like fighting models and units. not transports. 5th edition be gone long stay dead. But cheese aside it looks good.

What I like about your list is that you have decent AT in the reavers and ravagers. The reavers will hopefully also get a pain token at some point giving you resilience.

Yea I guess it's a bit cheesy. But then aren't all IG armies cheesy in 6th edition? Especially when terrain is on the sparse side. I have no qualms with adding my home made cheese to platter at my local GW Razz

Like I say above they start with one thanks to the Haemon. If they gain another they becomes nasty in CC. Especially if I rolled a 2, 3 or 4 on for CD. Smile

Come to think of it...do CDs ad +1S to HoW attacks?
Back to top Go down
pantofful
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 competitive army for this weekend   1,000 competitive army for this weekend I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 31 2013, 21:22

for the cost of lowering the reavers to 6 (which I think is plenty in a 1000pt battle), I would:

- swap 3 venom riding groups to 5 warrior (5 extra poison shots each).
- give the hemy a shattershard (I rarely get to ship more than once, and really like the shard more)
- add 1 more wrack to the unit with the hemy.
- give the arena champ venom blade.
- add nighshields to the ravagers or use on upgrades to the haemy...

personally, it's nice to "unlock" a venom for 30pts, but that's 30 pts, that is very often (I understand occasionally they can grab a secluded objective) useless. Instead spend the 15pts, and number of shot-wise it's almost like you have a 3 splintercannon venom.
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Sybarite
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 competitive army for this weekend   1,000 competitive army for this weekend I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01 2013, 11:46

Actually as a huge fan of the 5xWarriors in Venom MSU player I like this list alot for 1000pts.
Its cost efficiant and you get troops. Remember the game is all about objectives (if you dont go for the whipe).

Now the only complaint I would have would be to change the reaver squads to 3 in each. Reason is quite simple, you can hit more veichles at the same time.

Crazy_Ivan
Wych
Crazy_Ivan

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 competitive army for this weekend   1,000 competitive army for this weekend I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01 2013, 14:35

Looks good to me, I run a similar 750 list with great success. Wrecks are amazing at holding objectives in ruins, put them to ground for 2+ saves then feels no pain. They are incredibly hard to shift.
I personally would reduce the reaver squad to 6 and put night shields on everything, they have saved my bacon a number times being able to sit back and shoot.
Back to top Go down
Vasara
Incognito assault marine
Vasara

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 competitive army for this weekend   1,000 competitive army for this weekend I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01 2013, 18:27

I would keep the list as it is. The big Reaver squad actually does damage and is able to gain that first pain token.

If you play on 4'x4' table then night shields are a waste if the enemy is able to claim the mid field. Usually more units is better than more expensive upgrades.

ETC 2015 Captain, Eldar/DE (10th)
Painting blog
Back to top Go down
mug7703
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 competitive army for this weekend   1,000 competitive army for this weekend I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01 2013, 18:33

Thanks for your comments guys!
Seems the consensus is to drop the Reavers from 9 to 6 and use the points to buff the rest of the army. I've actually never tried this as I like the durability of 9 and the fact they all gain from the FNP and are more reliable at 1 shot killing a tank but I will try it out and see if it improves the list by a greater amount than the squad's reduction in effectiveness.

I think dropping the Reavers to 6 and giving them blasters instead. Dropping the champ as well as they're smaller so don't need to upgrade as much. This saves me 72 points so I'll bump two squads of Wracks up to 5xWarriors w/Blasters and add a Wrack to the squad with the Haemon.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
mug7703
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 competitive army for this weekend   1,000 competitive army for this weekend I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23 2013, 12:50

@Niiai wrote:

Have you considered to give the hamonculus the sniper weapon instead or do you see yourself flying close to something and flame it?

What sniper weapon is this? Do you mean the Stinger Pistol?

So I've really been liking this 1,000 point list. I need to start posting some battle reports with it which I intend to over the next month or two. Smile

It's undergone a change though. I really like Mushkillas advice on Blasters fitting better on Reavers in armies that are more shooty as you don't have to get as close. So to fit that in I've had to drop the Heamons LFG but that's fine as I don't like him getting too close anyway. He just gives up Warlord after one round of well, anything lol.

List is now:

Haemonculi - 50pts

9 Reavers w/3xB, Champion - 253pts

Ravager - 105pts
Ravager - 105pts
Ravager - 105pts

Total = 998pts
Back to top Go down
Irakunar Thrax
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 competitive army for this weekend   1,000 competitive army for this weekend I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23 2013, 13:43

nice list Smile

one of the few competitive lists that i actually like.
Back to top Go down
Mngwa
Wych
Mngwa

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 competitive army for this weekend   1,000 competitive army for this weekend I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23 2013, 15:21

Dont forget that you can have three haemonculi with one HQ choice, but if the game is 1k point, then probably one is enough.
Back to top Go down
mug7703
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 competitive army for this weekend   1,000 competitive army for this weekend I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 23 2013, 16:22

Thanks. And yes, I could take three but I like keeping HQs under 10% of total points.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1,000 competitive army for this weekend   1,000 competitive army for this weekend I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1,000 competitive army for this weekend
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Army Lists
-
Jump to: