THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Shattershard

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dark_Kindred
Kabalite Warrior
Dark_Kindred

Shattershard Empty
PostSubject: Shattershard   Shattershard I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01 2013, 04:53

Fellow Archons:

I have never used Shatter so I want to get the rules straight before my game versus the foul Necrotyr this Friday. On pp. 61 of Codex: Dark Eldar, it says that any model hit by a Shattershard must make a toughness test, etc.

My first question is this: Are models removed as per shooting or on a model basis? It clearly says each model must make a characteristic test, which leads me to believe that models removed on an individual basis.

My second question is this: Would it be possible for a squad leader/Independent Character to avoid the Shattershard by using the Look Out, Sir! special rule. I would be inclined to say no because wounds are not being allocated and Look Out, Sir clearly states on pp. 16 of the Rule Book that Look Out, Sir! comes into play when a wound or unsaved wound is allocated to a character.

That you in advance. Hope you all had a Happy New Year!

Last edited by Dark_Kindred on Tue Jan 01 2013, 05:25; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Extra Words)
Back to top Go down
Tiri Rana
Sybarite
Tiri Rana

Shattershard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shattershard   Shattershard I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01 2013, 05:45

Same answer to both questions.
The Shattershard does not cause wounds. It produces hits like a template weapon, aka every model completely or partially under the template is hit. Wounds would be allocated like normal weapons, but it never comes to this step. Look out Sir can't be used either, because it is used to allocate wounds to another model, but a Shattershard attack never causes wounds.

The only argument against that, I found, was the FAQ ruling for implosion missiles, that technically don't cause wounds too, but are treated, as if they did.
Implosion missiles sport a radically different profile though, and use a slightly different mechanic, so I don't think it's possible to transfer this ruling.

Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

Shattershard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shattershard   Shattershard I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01 2013, 06:49

You got it all! Yep, no LOS and specifically affects models touched.

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Dark_Kindred
Kabalite Warrior
Dark_Kindred

Shattershard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shattershard   Shattershard I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01 2013, 22:05

Thanks, I just wanted to be sure. I suppose that the Shattershard is a better way to go than the Liquifiergun if you want to assault something--the models in front have a chance to stay in front.

Also, I take it that overwatch with a Shattershard would be allocated from a nearest-farthest model-by-model basis?

Thank you again!

Hekatrix
colinsherlow

Shattershard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shattershard   Shattershard I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02 2013, 21:01

I've used the shard for stand and shoot. The model in front will take the hits until it dies. Then the next ect

Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

Shattershard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shattershard   Shattershard I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03 2013, 19:27

As overwatch wasnt made when they introduced the shattershard, a little bit of leway must be given to it. I would resolve it like so.

Roll a D3 for how many times you get a "hit" then the closest takes tests until it dies. When he dies, it then moves on to the next one.

You could also argue that because the shattershard does not cause "hits" It cant be used for overwatch... but that is a rule arguement for your gaming group to figure out on their own

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Dark_Kindred
Kabalite Warrior
Dark_Kindred

Shattershard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shattershard   Shattershard I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03 2013, 22:32

I re-read the rules for Shattershard and I think that you can use it for Overwatch. It says on pp. 61 of C: Dark Eldar that "Any non-vehicle model hit...."

I am not sure why you would want to use it for Overwatch. Maybe you are getting slammed by an assault unit that there is simply no way you can overcome and you want to reduce their charge distance? Then again, the expected value of using a Shattershard for Overwatch is 5 points, so maybe.

Sorry for rambling and thanks for the help!

Shattershard Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shattershard   Shattershard I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shattershard
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Rules: Queries & Questions
-
Jump to: