HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Reuse and Recycle

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Plastikente
Sybarite
Plastikente

Reuse and Recycle Empty
PostSubject: Reuse and Recycle   Reuse and Recycle I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 11 2012, 21:27

I found some old Dark Eldar models and wanted to re-role them to work with my shiny new ones. Being quite old metal miniatures, they come in a small variety of poses and I found several duplicates. Combining them with my coven bits collection (Talos, Cronos and Wrack spares), I have made some more Wracks to suplement my new finecast versions. One of my chief goals in these conversions was to avoid having any two models in a squad which look quite the same (this is my big objection to the finecast Grotesque - minimum unit size of 3 but GW only produced one pose?! But that's another story...).

Grotesques
Once upon a time, Grotesques were not immense, mindless killing machines, but instead were the servants/test-subjects of the Haemonculi, much like Wracks now are. I considered green-stuffing masks for this lot to make them match the new models, but then I decided that the various deformed faces they have match the theme quite well, so I left them.

Reuse and Recycle 8264366187_fca660db4c_t Reuse and Recycle 8265435538_3a34b58755_t Reuse and Recycle 8265435284_555f857dfe_t

Mandrakes
Similarly, there was a time when Mandrakes were not ethereal, semi-demonic creatures of shadow, but sort of ... bondage fans who carried splinter pistols? Most of these were wearing masks anyway, so I didn't bother to green-stuff their heads either. In a few cases, I replaced the splinter pistols with liquifiers (slightly oversized ones, because the bits came from Talos/Cronos sets), but I couldn't be bothers to do arm swaps on all of them. The old-style pistols are all spikey enough anyway that I will claim they are just another shape of punch-dagger.

Reuse and Recycle 8264365359_f9f10c1518_t Reuse and Recycle 8265434742_b950cba996_t Reuse and Recycle 8265434548_17fbef707e_t

And so, with a minimum of expenditure and a few hours at my modelling table, I have reclaimed 17 playable Wracks. I will post more pictures when they are painted Smile

Project Log: Kabal of the Bloodspray Corsairs
Flickr: jjtweed's Photostream
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
Plastikente

Reuse and Recycle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reuse and Recycle   Reuse and Recycle I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 30 2012, 15:35

I have now painted the first batch of Wracks, and I think they are a reasonable match for my Finecast models (also pictured). Only another 11 to go...

Reuse and Recycle 8325161851_ca8f559e8e_z
Reuse and Recycle 8325161653_ec21b59385_z

Reuse and Recycle 6890458871_d4f225889e_z

If anyone is interestested in the paint scheme, it is as follows:

Skin. Rakarth Flesh, shaded with Nuln Oil and Reikland Fleshshade, and then highlighted again with Rakarth Flesh.
Metal. Leadbelcher drybrushed over a black spray undercoat. The poisoned blades also got a wash of Biel-Tan Green and a drybrush of Moot Green.
Leather. Mournfang Brown, highlighted with a light drybrush of Kislev Flesh.
Armour. Wazdakka red highlighted with Evil Sunz Scarlet.
Cloth aprons. Painted as Tau skin - The Fang, shaded with Drakenhof Nightshade and Nuln Oil, and then re-highlighted with The Fang.
Pipes and vials of liquid. Caliban green and then layered up with various lighter shades.
Bases. A layer of Castellan Green, with Citadel Snow flock over the top. The grass is Army Painter Battlefields Winter Tufts.

Last edited by Plastikente on Fri Jan 04 2013, 11:29; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sathonyx
Hellion

Reuse and Recycle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reuse and Recycle   Reuse and Recycle I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02 2013, 04:39

I have about 6 of these old mandrake models. Thanks for the idea! I might add some green stuff for a full "skirt" / "butcher apron"
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
Plastikente

Reuse and Recycle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reuse and Recycle   Reuse and Recycle I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04 2013, 11:35

And some more:

Reuse and Recycle 8345750570_ffeaf08390_z
Reuse and Recycle 8345750490_9f9a271133_z

Of these, I quite like the first model - it has the right sort of hunched, lurching, Frankenstein's monster feel to it. I am really not keen on the second one - the stance and the armour make them look like they were modelled for Bloodbowl (particularly the one with the ball skull in his hand). Nevertheless, I think my little conversions do enough to tie them in with the new model range.

Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
Plastikente

Reuse and Recycle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reuse and Recycle   Reuse and Recycle I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 15 2013, 20:12

And the last ones, for a total of 17 Wracks converted from old Grotesques and Mandrakes:

Reuse and Recycle 8384768520_9984b18f92_c

Reuse and Recycle 8383683985_d149fccbbc_c

Back to top Go down
Hess
Hellion
Hess

Reuse and Recycle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reuse and Recycle   Reuse and Recycle I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16 2013, 07:14

Very "green" of you, all that recycling! I guess I went the other way and bought a pack of wracks to specifically make a Haemonculus to get some alternative model when fielding 2 at the same time.

Plastikente
Sybarite
Plastikente

Reuse and Recycle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reuse and Recycle   Reuse and Recycle I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16 2013, 14:45

It's got more to do with saving me money than saving the environment Smile

Back to top Go down
Hess
Hellion
Hess

Reuse and Recycle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reuse and Recycle   Reuse and Recycle I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 16 2013, 15:41

I hear ya, might look into it myself. Did do some Hekatrixes out of bits

Sponsored content

Reuse and Recycle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reuse and Recycle   Reuse and Recycle I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reuse and Recycle
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-