So I wanted to actually play games right away so I glued together models and bases. Now I am painting and trying to fix some things that I have done wrong or could have done better. I am writing this hoping that:
1) I, and others, can avoid future mistakes.
2) I can get some practical advice on how to fix some of my current mistakes and make my models shine.
First up, I would like to address basing. I’m not talking about color schemes, materials, etc. I am seeking practical advice on how some of the exceptional modellers/painters here at TDC actually do this and how I might ‘fix’ what I have done wrong. I have lurked for some time now and have read pretty much everything but there are some things that I’m just not grasping.
- From what I have read on project logs, etc. I gather that a commonly accepted practice is to paint the bases and the models separately before permanently gluing together. I now understand how this makes things so much easier but I want to confirm, is this a correct statement?
- I have also read about temporarily attaching models to make painting easier; how does one actually do this?
- How do you make the model grass (GW or other) look good? Is it put down PVA (wood, white, craft) glue, dump grass, and then blow on it; or some other method?
- So, on to my current issue. I have a bunch of models super glued onto bare bases. Some are, finally, reasonably painted and I would like to ‘base’ them to finish them off. I tried with a painted kabalite warrior and the results looks like my warrior is sinking in quicksand. - side note: get your hands on a couple old/junk/who cares models and use them to test all your theories on before ruining your new/expensive/highly anticipated models that you have just spend hours painting and are finally happy with. Yes, some of us learn best the hard way but, trust me, it is better not to make this mistake too many times. – Thankfully I stopped before basing an entire force in the quicksand alien marsh but I am debating on how to proceed. I would love some advice. Do I:
a. break/cut the models from the bases they are on, finish up the bases properly and then glue the models back on? If so, how can I do this without breaking them off at the ankles?
b. keep them on their bases and just limit the amount of basing material near their feet?
c. let the whole force sink in the alien quicksand?
d. something else I am not clever enough to come up with on my own?
-Thanks so much. I hope this helps someone else as much as it will help me.