THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

How to magnetize flying bases?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

How to magnetize flying bases? Empty
PostSubject: How to magnetize flying bases?   How to magnetize flying bases? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 26 2012, 22:58

Hey there, fellow Commorites.

I've just recently finished building my own carrying case (and to an extent display case once I figure out how to get light in there) out of a stage case for music equipment that I found lying around. I cut some steel frames to have a modular set of rails for my shelfboards which I made out of flake board (ground down wood). The plan is to magnetize all bases of my models to sit comfortable and safe on the fitted steelplates of the shelf boards. The case is quite heavy as it is with wood and steel interior so in order to carry it I need to tip it over (it also has wheels by the way), hence the magnetizing is absolutely essential.

While this is not a problem with regular miniatures where you can easily fit a magnet inside or under a base things start getting difficult with vehicles. I'd like them to stay fully built and intact during transport, they are magnetized though so if need be I could disassemble them.

So to my main concern: How am I supposed to get a magnet strong enough to carry a whole raider/ravager/venom on it's base. The translucent material the bases are made of are quite brittle, do you think I should try to drill holes inside it? Are there other options I'm overlooking? Please share your ideas or show me how you have done it.

Lastly some pictures of the case (still working on some of the optics) so you get an idea what I'm talking about:

How to magnetize flying bases? P1010332
How to magnetize flying bases? P1010331

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Tiri Rana
Sybarite
Tiri Rana

PostSubject: Re: How to magnetize flying bases?   How to magnetize flying bases? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15 2012, 03:14

You are right, the clear plastic is much more brittle than the opaque ones, but it can be drilled into, if you are careful.

The easiest way would probably be to glue a tin sheet onto the flying stand and to attach the magnet to the board.

If you have a router or a shaper you could set the stands into the wood. Would keep them from sliding of the magnets and strengthen the bond exponentially.

Ciirian
Sybarite
Ciirian

PostSubject: Re: How to magnetize flying bases?   How to magnetize flying bases? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15 2012, 03:47

Have no good suggestions but oh man am I in love with your shelf / carrying case. The idea is awesome. Always hated the idea of putting models in cases. Maybe trim around the inside with some Xmas lights?
Back to top Go down
Plastikente
Sybarite
Plastikente

PostSubject: Re: How to magnetize flying bases?   How to magnetize flying bases? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15 2012, 13:38

You could try magnetic sheeting - the same sort of thing you get on fridge magnets. It can be cut to size and glued across the whole area of the base to give a decent sticking power. It's cheap and easy to get hold of - first example google gives is this.

Project Log: Kabal of the Bloodspray Corsairs
Flickr: jjtweed's Photostream
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: How to magnetize flying bases?   How to magnetize flying bases? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15 2012, 19:11

One of my regular gaming group has a similar, if smaller, case that he uses for his CWE. It is a beast to lug around to games, and he works as a stone mason to begin with!

He uses magnetic sheeting, as suggested by Plastikente. He also uses velcro straps to further secure his flyers and bigger pieces. His translucent bases have been painted over and textured. It all works very well.
Back to top Go down
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

PostSubject: Re: How to magnetize flying bases?   How to magnetize flying bases? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 24 2012, 14:26

Sorry for the late reply, haven't had the time to get on here for quite a while - life's been busy Sad . Since the boards in the case are already covered with a steel sheet, I'll try the magnetic sheets for underneath the bases. if that does not work as desired I'll try to build wooden sockets to hold the bases down. My bases are quite heavily textured and decorated though, so I'll try the sheets without anything else first.

Thanks for the input so far. I'll post pictures of my progress here.
Back to top Go down
commandersasha
Sybarite
commandersasha

PostSubject: Re: How to magnetize flying bases?   How to magnetize flying bases? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29 2012, 10:38

As regards interior lighting, check out flexible LED tape: various forms, but for you the best would be 30 lights per metre fixed voltage 12V strip; As you're in Germany, Google "LED tape" yourself for local sources, as I am a new forum member so can't post links yet!
It's sticky-backed, you can just run a few metres of it continuously in your box like ropelight, or you can cut sections and solder link wires to it. It can be chopped every 50mm.
Do the maths to work out what power supply you need: 2metres x 7.2W = a 12Volt 15W power supply; check that box of old phone chargers etc, you may already have something suitable!
Back to top Go down
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

PostSubject: Re: How to magnetize flying bases?   How to magnetize flying bases? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29 2012, 14:50

Awesome idea, thank you commandersasha. I'll have a look into these LED tapes. I'll add them to my magnet order of doom I'll have to place soonish (to get all my bases magnetized). Otherwise that huge case of awesome would be of little use.

Also in terms of transportability: While this thing weighs roughly 20-25 kg when it's full (just personal estimation, didn't actually weigh it) it is quite easy to move from one place to another:

Wheels!

How to magnetize flying bases? P1010308
Back to top Go down
commandersasha
Sybarite
commandersasha

PostSubject: Re: How to magnetize flying bases?   How to magnetize flying bases? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29 2012, 23:01

Another potential benefit I can see here is in pre-arranging a tournament army: when I have entered Tourneys, I build a tray of old empty CD cases without lids; each CD case is marked to hold a particular unit, such as 20 Genestealers, or 3 Hiveguard, and the wooden tray holds just the right number of CD cases (including 1 for my dice.
Now, as units get deployed (or reserved), then destroyed, I can rearrange them on their trays; not only do I never forget a reserve unit, but as soon as the match is over, the whole tray is ready to be carried to the next table, no muss no fuss!
With your case, your shelves can be arranged similarly, along with your drinks, and stand next to you as a table!
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: How to magnetize flying bases?   How to magnetize flying bases? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 31 2012, 14:04

I had considered the same thing, but elected to use a nut and bolt instead. I'll take some pictures and post them here.

It does require some "removal" of material out of the bottom of the transports, but because it is on the bottom, it does not show.

How to magnetize flying bases? Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Ciirian
Sybarite
Ciirian

PostSubject: Re: How to magnetize flying bases?   How to magnetize flying bases? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04 2013, 06:16

I have these sticker magnets on the bottom of my minis just to add a little extra weight to them. I ordered a bunch years ago and dont remember the website. Think they are called "Likto bases" and they offer all different types of them. I used them for movement trays to cary models around. The ones I got were called the HD Magnets. Take a look if that helps at all.
Back to top Go down
Dogmar
Sybarite
Dogmar

PostSubject: Re: How to magnetize flying bases?   How to magnetize flying bases? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 04 2013, 21:04

I'm definitely using those self adhesive magnetic sheets for my regular plastic minis, I'm worried though that they won't hold a vehicle or metal model in place if you put the tray upside down. The sample for infantry I got from a friend doesn't seem to be very strong.
Back to top Go down
Orthien
Sybarite
Orthien

PostSubject: Re: How to magnetize flying bases?   How to magnetize flying bases? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06 2013, 20:53

Rare Earth magnets do wonders for holding minis if you can drill a big enough hole without the base cracking etc.

Kabalite Warrior Helm Project Log: https://www.thedarkcity.net/t5342-real-life-kabalite-helm
Back to top Go down
Druchii
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: How to magnetize flying bases?   How to magnetize flying bases? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08 2013, 02:05

I don't intend to hijack this thread but I was kinda wondering, what size do you guys use when magnetizing skimmers with rare earth magnets? I've been thinking about this myself but I'm not sure how well it works. The last thing I want is skimmer witch falls of the flying base several times every game.
A mate used these magnets on his screamers with great result.
http://www.supermagnete.de/eng/S-05-05-N
I'm buying a couple of those to use with my Reavers. They feel somewhat stronger than they need to be when it comes to jetbike equivalent but are they strong enough for a Raider or a Ravager?

//Druchii
Back to top Go down
Beerd
Slave

PostSubject: Re: How to magnetize flying bases?   How to magnetize flying bases? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08 2013, 02:16

Druchii I would say those are overkill for the application. I can't remember the exact height of the magnets I used to mount my fliers to their stands but just from the looks it was close to half that width. But with everything hobby, your mileage may vary. Mine are about twice as round as they are thick. But still have some solid girth to them.
Back to top Go down
Druchii
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: How to magnetize flying bases?   How to magnetize flying bases? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08 2013, 02:37

Thanks for the quick reply!
Yeah you are absolutley right. I was to focused to get the diameter right that I missed the height. Found another magnet with size Ø 6 mm and height 2 mm.
Do you use two magnets on each model or do you use one magnet? I've doe some googlefu and some uses a screw instead of a second magnet.

Last edited by Druchii on Tue Jan 08 2013, 02:46; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Beerd
Slave

PostSubject: Re: How to magnetize flying bases?   How to magnetize flying bases? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08 2013, 02:44

I use two magnets. I upgrade the "stock" clear stand with a piece of 3/8" acrylic and counter sink my magnet within the rod. Both magnets are the same size.
Back to top Go down
Beerd
Slave

PostSubject: Re: How to magnetize flying bases?   How to magnetize flying bases? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 08 2013, 02:45

But I also have access to milling equipment at work so I'm able to get my holes drilled precisely where they are needed and to an absolute depth each time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to magnetize flying bases?   How to magnetize flying bases? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to magnetize flying bases?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: