HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Hacking up a death jester for an archon

Go down 
AuthorMessage
bleum937
Slave

Hacking up a death jester for an archon Empty
PostSubject: Hacking up a death jester for an archon   Hacking up a death jester for an archon I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11 2012, 02:10

Hello, I think I've seen this done before, not sure if it was on this forum or elsewhere on the internet, but it looked cool so I'm going to give it a try too. I haven't done much conversion work before so if anybody's got some tips I'd love to hear them. Very Happy

I've always liked the death jester model and think it would be great to use as an archon with a little work. As well as the death jester, I've also picked up the succubus model. I'm intending to use her giant glaive to replace the shrieker cannon. Her body will be used for another project.

Picked up the finecast this morning, opened in-store to check the quality. Both in good condition except for a sheet of flash on the succy frame. No problem to clean though.

Here's my starting point:

Hacking up a death jester for an archon FeBVd

Hacking up a death jester for an archon GKF4w

I'm considering whether I should replace the jester's left leg with a kabalite leg, and possibly doing a head swap. The right hand will just be a splinter pistol- easy done. Anyone got ideas on what I should do from here?

Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Hacking up a death jester for an archon   Hacking up a death jester for an archon I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 11 2012, 03:06

As much as everyone mocks Finecast, it makes conversions such as this so much easier.

I think that you should replace the left leg, defo, take some time sourcing the leg, maybe a Scourge or Wych leg could be a good fit?

Talking of Scourges they have a good variety of ammo packs and pouches, one of those placed on your Archon's wait would tie him in, I'd also look at using a flesh tabard from a warrior.

Are you planning on using the trophy rack from the Succubus or maybe go with a PGL, or nothing at all?
Trophy racks always add a bit of stature to character models I find.

Head could be tricky, have a look at all of the plastic DE heads, choose one and dont use it again on another model - theres a really nice head on the dark elf cold one rider kit which could work well.

The cloak gives you the nice chance to add some freehand, looking forward to seeing this model done - given me inspiration to think about it myself Wink

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
https://www.thedarkcity.net
Normski
Hellion
Normski

PostSubject: Re: Hacking up a death jester for an archon   Hacking up a death jester for an archon I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13 2012, 10:33

I agree with Sky Serpent!

Finecast is very nice for converting! if you warm it up it becomes spongey, this allows the knife to slip through easier. but be careful not to over heat it or it will warp!

However! 1 or 2 mins in hot-ish water is fine then once cut to desired way then into cold water to stiffen, be sure to dry it as some finecast can hold water in detail grooves.

The idea of a scourge leg is pretty cool as it has a pointy toe that would look cool with the DJ coat you may have to replace the other foot to match though?

Im currently converting a Drazhar from a warrior body as this is the closest thing to the type of Armour Incubi use so maybe stick with warrior legs for Armour matching? either way you will still need to take away both legs as the leg under the coat will have a flared trouser cuff on but the leading leg will be armour!

for the head try staying away from bald heads as you will get a ming the merciless look going on with the high collar! maybe use the second Archon head from the finecast blister! the one with the tall ornate feature (not the horns) alternatively go for a Hellion head the one with the spikey hair? could look cool??

the pose of the DJ hands may present a challenge? the right arm can easily hold a sword (maybe the one from harlequin troupe leader) or blast pistol. but the left hand will require some detailed converting to get rid of the Shrieker cannon arm! once again this could hold a blast pistol for the pose?

are you planning on replacing the breast plate? could be a nice touch?

its an ambitious project and what ever you decide I look forward to the outcome!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/normski72/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hacking up a death jester for an archon   Hacking up a death jester for an archon I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hacking up a death jester for an archon
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: