THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Small Points Games: 500-750pts

Go down 
+3
tlronin
Darwin_green5
Damnosus
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Damnosus
Hellion
Damnosus

Small Points Games: 500-750pts Empty
PostSubject: Small Points Games: 500-750pts   Small Points Games: 500-750pts I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24 2012, 05:27

I have no idea why, but I have always been more interested in small points games rather than larger ones. I would like to think that it stems from my interest in faster paced, more intimate battles which allow me to concentrate fluff on specific heroes/units, but I have a feeling it is a direct result of my inability to paint very quickly...

Regardless, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on smaller games might be? What sorts of tactics are more/less useful with less models on the field? Do any armies change tactically during smaller games? Heck, do you even like smaller games or not?

I am basically just looking for tactics, personal opinions and anecdotes surrounding less epic battles.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Darwin_green5
Hellion
Darwin_green5

PostSubject: Re: Small Points Games: 500-750pts   Small Points Games: 500-750pts I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24 2012, 06:47

I've played a few games at that point range.

Dark eldar shooting is lethal since we can just jam so much of it down peoples throats, maybe not to IG levels of dakka but enough.

dark eldar are handy in that we have access to some cheap, solid HQ units. I've had good luck with the baron and his gang. Though a Succubus or some haemonculi could really be cost effective options too.

make sure to take some anti tank weapons since we don't have the luxury of being able to glance light vehicles with our small arms fire.
Back to top Go down
tlronin
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Small Points Games: 500-750pts   Small Points Games: 500-750pts I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24 2012, 08:09

In my experience (or should I say with my list) nothing fundamentally changes when I reduce in size. I still try to jam as many small troop squads in there in Venoms or Raiders as I can. Just less of it. Due to points.

Wyches with haywires can destroy tanks and can assault troops very well. And warriors with blasters can destroy tanks and shoot up troops very well.

I ussually go from 2 Ravagers to 1 Ravager. Need to be able to harrass the opponent from a distance.

It's basically what Mushkilla does with his list. Basically for every 500 pts he inserts another squad of Reavers, because that's the fundament of his army. My fundament are the troops (I use the other units as playtoys that I get when I can free up the points).

So find a built that works for you. And simply reduce in size when playing smaller games.

Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: Small Points Games: 500-750pts   Small Points Games: 500-750pts I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24 2012, 08:40

tlronin really hit it on the nail. Find out what your fundamentals are. It's like a secret ingredient. Then work out how much of that "ingredient" you want per 500 points (or any other value you want to use).

Building a list around modularisation is quite interesting if you like playing smaller games, as you will find it plays the same at different point levels as your "ingredient" scales up. It's also a good way to test stuff, as you will learn to play your army with a certain ratio of units.

Using my experience with the Buzzards as an example. I was originally using three squads of reavers at 1000 points, the problem with this was when I moved up to 1500 points I would still only have three squads of reavers. Suddenly at 1500 points the army would play very differently then it did at 1000 points as I would be going from playing an army that was 75% reavers to an army that was only 50% reavers. So I changed it so that I had 1 squad of reavers per 500 points (as tlronin mentioned). Now if I play a 500 point game my army is 50% reavers, if I play a 1000 point game my army is 50% reavers, if I play a 1500 point game my army is still 50% reavers. In short my army always feels the same regardless of the points level.

What does this have to do with the original question? Yes, I enjoy small games as much as I enjoy the larger ones. However my advice with smaller games is not to rely on something that doesn't scale, sure three ravagers at 500 points is going to be brutal, but at 1500 points you will still only have three ravagers so it won't work quite so well.

Hope that helps. Smile

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Small Points Games: 500-750pts   Small Points Games: 500-750pts I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 25 2012, 06:01

On a more extreme competitive concept than the above comments - the core concept of advantage behind very low point games (which 500-750 certainly falls within) is about maximizing your offensive capabilities while also spamming enough of a certain type of thing so that your opponent can't possible kill it.

Take 500 points worth of Orks, for example.

If you were facing, say;

Warboss
10 Boyz w. Nob in Trukk
15 Boyz w. Nob on Foot
3 Deffkoptas

You would have a use for some dark lances (nailing the trukk and Deffkoptas) and also for Splinter Cannon fire (nailing the footslogging boyz. That means as long as you have a slight spread of things, you can kick this lists butt.

However, also for 500 points;

Warboss
3x 17 Boyz w. Nob

Now your Dark Lances are functionally useless, and you have about 3 rounds of shooting to kill 50+ Orks who are coming to kick your teeth in with power klaws. Will your list be able to handle that?

What if it's an all mechanized list?

As a result, I think the core competitive concept of small point DE is as follows.

1. Make sure you pack both anti-mech and anti-infantry in good amounts.
2. Figure out how to make your army effective at moving to objectives.
3. Spam a certain build (be it mech heavy or infantry heavy) so as to weaken your opponent's capability to kill your army.

I, personally, consider Warriors in Venoms w. Blasters to be an excellent spam unit in low point games.
The aforementioned Wyches with HWGs are also very good.
Note that both of these nits are capable of hurting infantry *and* mech, that is key - make sure your army is able to take all comers and that every unit is a threat to multiple possible enemy units - otherwise you just can't afford to waste points on it.

I love low point games and consider DE deadly effective at them, I hope this helps you think about the core concepts of low point list building.

Back to top Go down
W'fo
Hellion
W'fo

PostSubject: Re: Small Points Games: 500-750pts   Small Points Games: 500-750pts I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14 2012, 06:31

I play many small point games and I do enjoy them myself, most recently in a 500 point game I took 2 squads of ten kabalite in a raider both with cannons since my raiders had dark lances on them, a cheap succubus and i think i got a squad of 3-5 scourges to. It was against orks and I kind of had to make a firing line to deal with all the infantry they had Crying or Very sad but on the brightside they didnt put there hq with anyone who was sniped by my dark lances ^.-

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Small Points Games: 500-750pts   Small Points Games: 500-750pts I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14 2012, 15:51

DE scale very well to small points games. i liked using x2 raiders with wyches (7-8 of them), cheap succy to lead, and a 5 warriors in a venom with blaster/extra cannon.
you've got x3 lance shots, a stack of AI, haywires, and good CC hitting power.
space marines can barely field a legal list @ 500pts, let alone a competent one :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Small Points Games: 500-750pts   Small Points Games: 500-750pts I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Small Points Games: 500-750pts
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Drukhari Tactics
-
Jump to: