THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Drager
Hellion

1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes Empty
PostSubject: 1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes   1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20 2012, 14:40

HQ

Haemonculus
Function: Unlock Wracks/Mandatory HQ

Farseer, Runes of Warding, Guide (swapped to Prescience)
Function: Psychic Defence (Primary), Prescience (secondary)

Troops

5 Wracks, LG
Venom, 2 Splinter Cannon
Function: Anti Infantry Firepower, Scoring

5 Wracks, LG
Venom, Splinter cannon

5 Wracks, LG
Venom, Splinter cannon

3 Wracks
Venom, 2 Splinter Cannon

5 Pathfinders
Function: Anti Special Weapon Firepower, Scoring

5 Pathfinders

Elites

3 Trueborn, 2 Dark Lances
Function: Anti Heavy Vehicle, Anti Light Vehicle

3 Trueborn, 2 Dark Lances

5 Trueborn, 2 Splinter Cannon, 3 Blasters
Venom, 2 Splinter Cannon
Function: Anti Heavy Infantry, Anti Deep Striking Units

Heavy Support

Ravager
Function: Anti Vehicle

Voidraven, 2 Shatterfield Missiles, Flickerfield
Function: Anti Vehicle

Voidraven, 2 Shatterfield Missiles, Flickerfield

3 War Walkers, 6 Scatter Lasers
Function: Anti Light Vehicle, Anti Infantry

Strategies

I will be detailing strategies by mission. Let me know if I'm there is an army type I haven't thought about so I can playtest against it and work out the best strategy. Please note these strategies work excellently against Missile Spam Space Wolves and Draigo Wing, as I have thouroughly playtested against these lists. I have playtested against most builds adn (unsurprisingly) find Guard the hardest to beat, I only have about a 50/50 chance agaisnt them.

Crusade/Big Guns/Scouring

Strategy 1:

If I have more objectives than my opponent I will start with my 3 man Wrack squad and Haemonculus in reserve and everything else up against my short table edge (or hard refused flank if playing Dawn of War deployment). I will subsequently wait for victory, anythign that comes into range will get blasted, anything the enemy holds back will be ignored. Wracks will debus from venoms on turn 5 to hang out with Pathfinders on objectives.

Strategy 2:

If I have less objectives than my opponent the 3 man wrack squad and Haemie will still set up in reserve and the Pathfinders will sit on my objective(s), The War Walkers will also set up to Outflank in this scenario.

My army will deploy hidden then attempt to secure First Blood (and if possible kill the warlord). I will focus my fire on the enemies most isolated objective and the units best able to support it.

When the war walkers arrive from reserve I will then push the other three wrack squads forwards at maximum speed towards my opponetns most isolated objective whilst moving the rest of my army (ravager, empty venom, trueborn) to provide covering fire and high value targets. The wracks will then flame and assault the enemy objective holder, attempting to claim or at least contest the objective strongly enough to gain me the victory. The wracks should also gain me Line Breaker.

Purge the Alien

Sit back as far as I can and make them come to me. Generally if the enemy has 48" range weaponry it is immobile so I simply need to stay back and use my 36" weaponry against the mobile portion of my opponents army. In a scenario where Night Fight is active I can play more agressively and attempt to eliminate his guns with a turn one alpha strike followed by turn 2 bombardment.

In this scenario the War Walkers will typically outflank, as at worst they should be able to eliminate a long range enemy gun and then "swap" the VP by dying. At best they get two things and all is well in the world. Against horde or short range armies like Draigowing they will simply deploy on the board and lay down fire with the venoms.

Emperors Will

The strategy here is simple, deploy completely out of sight then attempt to gain first blood. Late game go for line breaker. Other than that play Defense. If I lose first blood I then switch strategies and attempt to press the opponent by eliminating all of their troops, using my Wrack squads and planes to get at the ones out of line of sight.

Relic

I hate this mission. Similar to Emperors will I will hide then attempt to grab First Blood and Line Breaker. I will go for their warlord if they present him as a target. Other than that I will lay down fire on the relic until turn 4 then move up ready to claim it in turn 5 with all the wrack squads.

Last edited by Drager on Tue Aug 21 2012, 12:29; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Crowbar
Hellion
Crowbar

PostSubject: Re: 1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes   1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 20 2012, 21:59

Woh, wish I could watch you play that tournament with that list. That looks awfully technical, not saying its garbage, I'm just the new guy.
Back to top Go down
CaptainBalroga
Sybarite
CaptainBalroga

PostSubject: Re: 1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes   1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21 2012, 00:04

I think another unit of Troops will serve you better than the Scourges: scoring units are always a big deal*. The 125-point 5 Warrior+Blaster+Venom will never go out of style, and complements the shooting strategy. 5 Haywire Wyches may not do much if you're standing back shooting, but if you are forced to either assault a massive parking lot or defend against some drop pods the CC benefits are nice. They would give the Haemy a unit to buff, perhaps with a Liquifier in tow. You should save points versus running Scourges to perhaps kit out your other Wracks as 5+Liquifier.

Overall it doesn't seem terribly mobile, but you dodge some anti-vehicle hate. That sort of just means that what the enemy has gets to focus: I wouldn't expect the Ravager to live long. If the enemy can threaten you outside of 36", they get to mess with you. The War Walkers are a cool touch to Outflank, but be careful with them, since one they're gone it's just the fliers and the guys hoofing it to get in range, probably outside of cover.

*Incidentally, what are the missions for the tournament? Any rules they ignore? Any modified deployment? Is every mission and secondary objective represented? How's the terrain? With more info the list can be further examined. Smile

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes   1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21 2012, 09:38

Hmm. Good point about the scourges, not a fan of 5 man warrior squads with blasters myself, prefer the Wracks as the Liquifier is a better gun most of the time and is on more survivable bodies. I think I'll drop the scourges, and the venom blade on the haemie as well as one wrack. I can then add another 5 man wrack squad with Liquifier and venom and make the 4 man squad into the same, thus preserving my splinter numbers and improving scoring. Good catch. 6 Scoring units will be rather useful I think. Also glad to get rid of a fast attack choice for scouring.

All the missions and secondaries from the book are being played, no modification worth noting. Terrain is ~12 varied pieces per board, so plentiful.

I'm not sure why you think the list is immobile, apart from the lanceborn and snipers everything is in a vehicle or is a vehicle. Mostly though this list wins by being able to wreck anything at 36" and having the mobility to stay at optimal range. If an opponent has long fangs devs or something with range 48 I either stay back out of range and engage only the mobile elements of their army or focus on the long range weapons first. The Ravager survives mainly by hiding. The war walkers sometimes outflank, sometimes deploy and have prescience dumped on them. 72 splinter shots plus 24 Scatter Lasers smushes infantry and the scatter lasers also work well on light armour. Lances can deal with heavy armour.

Thanks for the input will update the list to reflect your comments shortly.
Back to top Go down
Krovin-Rezh
Kabalite Warrior
Krovin-Rezh

PostSubject: Re: 1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes   1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21 2012, 11:05

Reavers instead of Scourges. They are tougher to kill, can move a lot faster, and do just as much damage.

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes   1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21 2012, 12:25

Thanks Krovin, unfortunately I have already gotten rid of the scourges on Captain Balroga's advice. I also really think reavers would play badly with this list, they would end up isolated and destroyed easily, or be useless.

Updated List in first post.

Do you think it is better to keep the trueborn with balsters and cannons for dealing with drop podding terminators, deep striking MCs and the like or to switch to a unit of Cannon Born (3 Trueborn, 2 Splinter Cannon, Venom, 2 Splinter Cannon) and add an extra Venom, I keep wavering back and forth.
Back to top Go down
Krovin-Rezh
Kabalite Warrior
Krovin-Rezh

PostSubject: Re: 1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes   1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 21 2012, 21:49

It's your list, but I don't see how either option is better than Reavers. They operate in isolation just fine, but that doesn't mean you have to put them in that situation if you don't want. They can bring the blasters you want for deepstriking threats, and can also afford to assault if needed. Their movement range is 12" farther for contesting objectives or gaining the Line Breaker point.

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes   1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 22 2012, 12:58

I am not saying Reavers are in any way bad, I like Reavers. I am currently building a biker list combing them with a Seer Council and Guardian Bikers. In multiple units they are great. I just don't think they fit here.

I tried them in a couple of games and found they mostly died to bolter fire as they are the only thing in bolter range so all the tac marines/grey hunters/strike squads/paladins in the army shoot them. Sure they have a decent toughness and a good cover save, but they can't tank an armies worth of small arms fire.

As for keeping them back I'd rahter have a scoring unit that can also assault happily (and is actually better in assault than bikes), hence wracks or a unit that also has long rnage utility like the Trueborn. I am rarely wasting units that way, backfield Reavers are just 150-200 points that do nothing, the investment is too high for the narrow benefit in my opinion specifically in this list.

Another thing I keep trying to decide between is whether or not to take the 3 man wrack squad or drop it (and move the venom to a Lanceborn squad) to give the other 3 Wracks Ld 9.
Back to top Go down
Drager
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes   1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14 2012, 18:57

Batrep in progress with this list

HERE
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes   1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1850 Tournament List, Please Poke Holes
Page 1 of 1