HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Something Big

Go down 
AuthorMessage
steev
Hellion
steev

Something Big Empty
PostSubject: Something Big   Something Big I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 08 2012, 07:30

I got motivated to finish my DE army (see pics in Aphotic gallery) by the pending arrival of An'ggrath for my birthday. And when he arrived he lived up to his reputation as being BIG!

Something Big 20120611

here he is assembled

Something Big P1020816

the white blob in front is a plaster cast of the start of his base

Something Big P1020817

this guy is one cool model, I am looking forward to painting this cheers

Something Big P1020818

Last edited by steev on Sun Aug 26 2012, 00:59; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

Something Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something Big   Something Big I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 08 2012, 14:33

PAINT HIM!!!
I love that model and can't wait to see your paint job Twisted Evil

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

Something Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something Big   Something Big I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 08 2012, 15:36

That is horrificaly big. If I got that I would be to frughtened to paint him. I'm looking forward to seeing him painted up.

I had a look at the aphotic gallery, and I have to say that the haemie conversion from tat psyker is my favorite conversion for a Coven unit ever. Smile

Something Big YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
Painbiro
Kabalite Warrior

Something Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something Big   Something Big I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 09 2012, 04:23

Sweet mother of Khaine, that is a big model...

I wish you luck with painting him!

Dark Eldar? Grimdark? What a silly idea. The Adventures of I-XV7-DM
https://www.thedarkcity.net/t3020p20-the-adventures-of-i-xv7-dm

Back after hiatus. For Commorragh!
Back to top Go down
steev
Hellion
steev

Something Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something Big   Something Big I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 10 2012, 11:35

I am feeling pretty relaxed about the size of this project, I am going to keep it simple and apply basic composition to it. If I try anything too fancy I think it will get lost at this scale and detract from the model as a whole. So I will be using lots of washes and dry brushing. In general I will follow the colour scheme in the Apocalipse book. My strategy will be:

The wings are the single largest element and they dominate the model, therefore I am going to keep them a neutral tone to allow the other elements to pop out (black, dry brush grey, wash black)

I will also keep the armour neutral (brass with several washes of black and some highlights)

From this neutral base I will then make the skin pop out as a rich dark red with shadows that drop back to black, I will put a bit more work into the skin because it is the feature that can realy make this model work (scab red, wash black, blood red, highlight red, wash black (maybe) x2, glaze red) I will play this by ear and see how it goes.

The horns will be the highlight feature going from bone white ends to brown at their base.

I have no idea yet how I am going to paint the axe. I could try one of those funky new methods for creating gore that I have seen recently but my gut feeling is to keep it simple.

I won't be able to base spray it until the weekend (too cold and dark outside by the time I get home from work), so until then I am working on the base. Here is an updated pic. The concept is to have him standing on a broken rock with rivers of lava running through the cracks.

I need to trim the plaster edges to the base (a flying base I stole off my valk) and pour some in the cracks to make the lava.

Something Big P1020819
Something Big P1020820
Back to top Go down
steev
Hellion
steev

Something Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something Big   Something Big I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12 2012, 00:42

a couple of updates.

This is the wings done and skin base coat

Something Big P1020810

Something Big P1020811

the original idea of casting a base failed as when I tried to work out how to pin the model to the base I realised that the plaster was going to be to soft to hold its weight. So I have purchased a resin base to attach him to.
Back to top Go down
steev
Hellion
steev

Something Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something Big   Something Big I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12 2012, 00:46

Here is the first wash on the skin and the rest of the basecoats done.

Something Big P1020812

Something Big P1020813
Back to top Go down
steev
Hellion
steev

Something Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something Big   Something Big I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12 2012, 00:48

and a start on the armour

Something Big P1020814
Back to top Go down
steev
Hellion
steev

Something Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something Big   Something Big I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12 2012, 10:05

ok I managed to do some more this afternoon

skin after drybrushing 3 highlights
Something Big P1020815

and after the glaze
Something Big P1020818

and here is where An'ggrath kills my brand new bottle of glaze Crying or Very sad at least it is red so, Blood for the Blood God, or something like that.
The model is so big, just manouvering it to paint it can be difficult. In this instance his wing knocked over the bottle and I did not even realise until most of it had spilled out.
Something Big P1020817

Back to top Go down
cbosw5
Slave
cbosw5

Something Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something Big   Something Big I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 12 2012, 10:18

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
steev
Hellion
steev

Something Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something Big   Something Big I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 26 2012, 00:58

Finshed!

During he process I changed a few things from my orignal plan, most noticably the base. But overall I am happy with the result. I kept it simple relying on washes and dry brushing to do most of the work for me. I might revisit some bits at a latter stage such as the axe and eyes. But for now it is sitting in my display case waiting for some foolish mortal to summon him to the next appoc game.

Something Big P1020819
Something Big P1020820
Something Big P1020821
Something Big P1020822
Something Big P1020823
Something Big P1020824
Something Big P1020825
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

Something Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something Big   Something Big I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 26 2012, 01:54

That looks really good. Well done, may it gather many skulls for Khorne!

Sponsored content

Something Big Empty
PostSubject: Re: Something Big   Something Big I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Something Big
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Distractions
-
Jump to: