THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Look out Sir!

Go down 
+2
Enfernux
Count Adhemar
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Look out Sir! Empty
PostSubject: Look out Sir!   Look out Sir! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05 2012, 15:15

Okay, quick question on LOS - can a beast use it?

My cunning plan is to put Baron in with a unit of Beastmasters and put him at the front to tank wounds from shooting. But I obviously don't want to a) overload his Shadow Field or b) subject him to anything that could killl him outright. So if beasts can use LOS then I can redirect shots to beasts within 6" on a roll of 2+? Is this correct?

Enfernux
Wych
Enfernux

Look out Sir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Look out Sir!   Look out Sir! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05 2012, 15:26

As i have seen some comments, LOS is only on a 4+ for everyone. But since the beastmaster is a squad leader, it counts as a character, i think i heard that in one of the vids, so yeah, they can use it. Nobs are characters, so a squad of nobs can all use LOS.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/enfer.nux?ref=tn_tnmn
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Look out Sir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Look out Sir!   Look out Sir! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05 2012, 15:32

@Enfernux wrote:
As i have seen some comments, LOS is only on a 4+ for everyone. But since the beastmaster is a squad leader, it counts as a character, i think i heard that in one of the vids, so yeah, they can use it. Nobs are characters, so a squad of nobs can all use LOS.

My understanding is that LOS is 2+ for Independent Characters and 4+ for squad leaders etc. But my question was whether there was any reason why a beast could not stop a bullet for the Baron? I'm not aware of any restrictions on it but just wanted to check.

Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

Look out Sir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Look out Sir!   Look out Sir! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05 2012, 15:38

Unless it's in the rules for beast units, saying that they can't be meat shields, I would discuss it with the person your playing first, tell them that you intend on using it just so they don't get confused and start punching fragile Raiders out of childish frustration.

Look out Sir! YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Look out Sir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Look out Sir!   Look out Sir! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05 2012, 15:57

I don't have the rulebook yet so can't check if the rules forbid it but assuming they don't then I think I have a pretty decent method of getting assault units into combat safely, either via a WWP or by moving across the battlefield on foot or in vehicles.

Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

Look out Sir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Look out Sir!   Look out Sir! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05 2012, 16:01

I don't have the rulebook either, so I was leaving it vague.
It's a good stratergy, especially with Clawed fiends and Razorwing Flocks. It will soak up all of the wounds and leave you with more attacks.

I may have to try it whe I get the new book, well, after I have my couple of weeks playing Night Lords again. Smile

Look out Sir! YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Look out Sir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Look out Sir!   Look out Sir! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05 2012, 16:03

Well it's an added incentive for me to complete my vow for July of getting my Beastmaster unit painted.

Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

Look out Sir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Look out Sir!   Look out Sir! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05 2012, 16:23

Ah yes, good luck with that. I only have nine Warriors to do by monday for that, and I've almost finished them.

I have been thinking about the LOS rule for a while, and my mind has been coming up with a lot of possibilities. I think that my favorite so far is a squad of nine Trueborn, one being a Dracon with PGL and an Agoniser, four having either Blasters or Shredders, depending on what you are facing, the others having CC weapons and Splinter Pistols with an Archon in a Raider with a Disintergrator.
It is considered odd by some, but it is one of the things that I shall not write off until I try it out.

You could do the same with normal Warriors, however, and just use them as meat shields until your Archon gets into Combat.

Look out Sir! YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Look out Sir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Look out Sir!   Look out Sir! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05 2012, 16:29

Some people are saying that LOS can only be used once per turn. If that is true then it makes it slightly less exploitable but would also make my plan less viable.

Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

Look out Sir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Look out Sir!   Look out Sir! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05 2012, 16:35

Well, that's disapointing, but still, Shadowfields are nice. If it can only be used once per turn then I may not bother too much with it.
Does anybody know if it is once per army per turn or once per charecter per turn?

Look out Sir! YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
Enfernux
Wych
Enfernux

Look out Sir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Look out Sir!   Look out Sir! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05 2012, 16:37

LOS can be used once for every wound, so you get unsaved, LOS, fail, you cant LOS again on that particular wound, although there may be other squad mates in 6" you still cant use them to LOS THAT one wound out.

edit: guys, would you just start watching batreps, reviews, talks, ideas, opinions of 6th ed youtube...read on other forums. I dont have a RB, but i have already gone through meny of the new rules Very Happy

Last edited by Enfernux on Thu Jul 05 2012, 16:39; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Look out Sir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Look out Sir!   Look out Sir! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05 2012, 16:38

Okay, that's good (as long as I'm not facing a Paladin army with Draigo in front).

Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

Look out Sir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Look out Sir!   Look out Sir! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05 2012, 16:40

Aha, that's far more apealing. Hmm, it could cause problems, though, with all of the flyers around and about now. Everyon huddling around their boss, then a Rocket. *BOOM*
It's almost as if GW wants my Archon to get a missile in his face. I didn't think he was that ugly. Crying or Very sad

Look out Sir! YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Look out Sir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Look out Sir!   Look out Sir! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05 2012, 16:41

They only have to be within 6" and in the same unit. No need to bunch up and make it easy for them!

Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

Look out Sir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Look out Sir!   Look out Sir! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05 2012, 16:58

True. Hopefuly, however, my enemy would make that mistake with his Dark Angels. He won't as he's been playing for as long as I have been alive, but oh well. I can hope. Very Happy

Six inches is a good range. I expected tat it would at least have to be within two inches, so in unit coherency, but this is pleasing to hear.

Look out Sir! YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
Tiri Rana
Sybarite
Tiri Rana

Look out Sir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Look out Sir!   Look out Sir! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05 2012, 18:04

Regarding Look out, Sir!

Yes, it's 4+ for characters, but 2+ for independent characters. It can be used only once per wound, if it fails or not.
It is explicitly forbidden to give LoS wounds to artillery cannons, but not to beasts, so yes, it works.

Ben_S
Sybarite

Look out Sir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Look out Sir!   Look out Sir! I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05 2012, 23:07

Why wouldn't it work for beasts? Ok, perhaps a Khymerae wouldn't throw itself in front of a bullet to save its master, but nor would the average Gretchin. (And I say perhaps advisedly - maybe even they would, like a loyal guard dog - who knows?) The mechanic can represent a number of things, including the character throwing a nearby trooper into the bullet (like a 'human' shield) or just the difficulty of picking out a single model.

If there's nothing in the rules against it then I don't see that your opponent has any basis to get upset or think it's a WAAC move on your part.

EDIT: I get that your question is about whether or not it is in the rules (which I can't tell you), so this reply is really directed at comments like:
@Cavash wrote:
I would discuss it with the person your playing first, tell them that you intend on using it just so they don't get confused and start punching fragile Raiders out of childish frustration.
Back to top Go down
Enfernux
Wych
Enfernux

Look out Sir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Look out Sir!   Look out Sir! I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06 2012, 02:00

beast masters are squad leaders, as sergeants, and squad leaders, as sergeants are characters, as are beastmasters, so as squad leaders, like sergeants, you can issue a LoS, like sergeats, who are characters. I hope that covers it Razz

Back to top Go down
Tiri Rana
Sybarite
Tiri Rana

Look out Sir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Look out Sir!   Look out Sir! I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06 2012, 08:16

The question is not, if a Beastmaster can use a LoS save, but whom the wound can be allocated to. Even if beasts couldn't take wounds from LoS, it would be still possible to use it to deflect the wound to another beastmaster or the attached baron, or whatever.

But since the rulebook mentions exceptions to the normal LoS rules, for example for the Artillery unit type, but not for beasts, I don't see a reason, why it shouldn't work.

Shadows Revenge
Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

Look out Sir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Look out Sir!   Look out Sir! I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 06 2012, 14:11

a beastmaster (or baron for that matter) can make a LoS to put the wounds on beasts. There is no rule restrictions saying they cant.

And fluff wise if you dont like the idea of the beast jumping infront of baron to take the shot, what about thinking it as baron dodges behind the hapless animal, or better yet he grabs it and puts it infront of him.

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Look out Sir! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Look out Sir!   Look out Sir! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Look out Sir!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA