THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Brushes?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lord Clazaryn
Kabalite Warrior
Lord Clazaryn

Brushes? Empty
PostSubject: Brushes?   Brushes? I_icon_minitimeThu May 31 2012, 12:14

So I've been buying these fine detail brushes from a painting store but I think they are meant for painting just normal paper. Unfortunately I get about halfway through a raider when these things start to fray really bad and have to be replaced. They are costing about $3.50 at the moment but I don't really want to pay $10 for a GW brush. However I think that my brushes might not be designed for the painting miniatures and that's the problem. So I was wondering what you guys use and where I could buy some?
Back to top Go down
Count Adhemar
Dark Lord of Granbretan
Count Adhemar

Brushes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brushes?   Brushes? I_icon_minitimeThu May 31 2012, 12:43

The normal GW ones are crap. I think they do a 'eavy metal' set of brushes but I've not tried those. Earlier this week I went to my local hobbycraft store and bought a couple of Winsor & Newton Galeria brushes. They cost about £5 each, which is a couple of pounds more than the GW ones, but I suspect they will last a lot longer!

lobos
Slave

Brushes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brushes?   Brushes? I_icon_minitimeThu May 31 2012, 12:58

Yeah Windsor and Newton all the way I bought a finest sable 000 cost me $23 aus dollar best brush I have ever used last ages too.
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

Brushes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brushes?   Brushes? I_icon_minitimeThu May 31 2012, 17:09

Me too, im using W&N Series 7 Miniature kolinsky brushes.

If you want to dilute your paint you need natural brushes and preferabely kolinsky brushes.
And even after a single patining sessions with them you will *never* use any sinthetic or GW brushes.

Saintspirit
Court of Cruelty
Saintspirit

Brushes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brushes?   Brushes? I_icon_minitimeThu May 31 2012, 18:55

I usually go to a shop known as Masters (swedes should recognize it, not sure if it exists in other countries) where I usually buy brushes of a kind called KreatorStudio (manely size 4). Works very good - as you said before me, GW:s brushes are crap.

Painted: 2263pts

shamroll wrote:
Dang! I was hoping Tyranids followed the Pokemon naming idea. A big Carnifex running around just yelling "Carnifex! Carni-Carnifex!" followed by a squad of termagants all saying "Termagant" to each other.
Back to top Go down
mal'caor
Slave

Brushes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brushes?   Brushes? I_icon_minitimeThu May 31 2012, 19:28

I have been using W&N Cotman III brushes for several years now, and I've never had any problems with them.
Back to top Go down
Ben_S
Sybarite

Brushes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brushes?   Brushes? I_icon_minitimeThu May 31 2012, 22:40

Personally, I mainly use cheap ones from a shop in the UK called The Works (which mostly sells remaindered books and a few craft supplies). I can get four fairly fine ones for £2, compared to £3-4 for a single GW brush. They need replacing fairly often, at least for fine details work, but I'd far rather have a cheap brush that doesn't last than an expensive ones that doesn't last! (Worth adding that I'm no great painter either, so I don't see it worth paying for tools that outstrip my ability!)
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

Brushes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brushes?   Brushes? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 01 2012, 19:40

I use a variety of brushes depending on what application I have in mind.

I use the GW brushes for rank and file, I use a Kolinsky Sable brush for my higher end figures.

For large models, I use my airbrush or a very wide flat synthetic, the cheapest I can find, and thin my paint down more than usual, almost like a wash.

With the larger flat brush and thinner paint, the paint comes out fairly smooth, but I do have to paint it 2 or 3 times, which really is not a big deal since the flat brush brush paints a large area very quickly.

The thing is though that the paint does need to be thinned, else it leaves serious brush marks.

Brushes? Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Zhodair
Slave
Zhodair

Brushes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brushes?   Brushes? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03 2012, 22:51

Dont mean to Necro thread here, But if i had to pick 3-4 sizes Of W&N Series 7 Miniature kolinsky brushes, What would you choose? And what size brush brushes do you guys use for Venoms/Raiders?.. Since I dont got my Airbrush yet..
Back to top Go down
Demagoge
Hellion
Demagoge

Brushes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brushes?   Brushes? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04 2012, 07:14

When using the W&N Series 7 you don´t need smaller brushes then 00. The tip is excellent and they hold enough paint for fine details. For the most parts you will even use the 0 brush. For painting vehicles you can then buy a bigger brush from a different provider. In my opinion you don´t need the excellent abilities from W&N Series 7. So you will only need 3 brushes and one of them won´t be that expensive.

Michael

GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

Brushes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brushes?   Brushes? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04 2012, 19:11

@Zhodair wrote:
Dont mean to Necro thread here, But if i had to pick 3-4 sizes Of W&N Series 7 Miniature kolinsky brushes, What would you choose? And what size brush brushes do you guys use for Venoms/Raiders?.. Since I dont got my Airbrush yet..

for the larger vehicles, I would buy the larger flat synthetic brushes and thin the paint significantly. What you will find is that vehicles tend to wreck brushes fairly fast, so the larger flat provide more coverage.

I bought a couple for doing the decks of my raiders and ravagers and they are already trashed after 4 of them. I also bought them in clearance, so the cheaper ones are definitely the way to go. I paid $2 USD each for mine on clearance.

Brushes? Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

Brushes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brushes?   Brushes? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brushes?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS