THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada

Go down 
+12
mot666
Sami
TjurigRymdalv
Raucir Lustingclaw
The_Burning_Eye
GAR
Azdrubael
Siticus the Ancient
Levitas
Evil Space Elves
Massaen
Marquis Vaulkhere
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Marquis Vaulkhere
Kabalite Warrior
Marquis Vaulkhere

Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada Empty
PostSubject: Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada   Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27 2012, 02:14

Sorry for the political humor as tanning beds where just banned here for anyone under 18 & I thought if would be funny considering the topic. Anyhow I have been painting my Dark Eldar army and am having a problem with the skin. I like the tone of Dheneb Stone |which is now Rakarth flesh| but don't quite know how to shade it.

I have tried a few washes but they don't look that great. Has anyone out there used this color and how did they make it look good?

Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada   Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27 2012, 02:35

Depends on what you want the final tone to be. I use it in conjunction with ogryn flesh and white for the skin on my models

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada   Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27 2012, 02:38

I use a bluish-grey tone, but I have seen good results with shading Dhenub Stone/Whatever GW is calling it with watered-down Charadon Granite/Whatever GW is calling it now and Leviathan Purple/Whatever GW is calling it now. You could substitute the Charadon Granite with Vallejo Smoke or Devlan Mud. (I thoroughly give up on using the new names until they are actually released Evil or Very Mad )

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Levitas
Kabalite Warrior
Levitas

PostSubject: Re: Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada   Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27 2012, 15:59

@Evil Space Elves wrote:
I use a bluish-grey tone, but I have seen good results with shading Dhenub Stone/Whatever GW is calling it with watered-down Charadon Granite/Whatever GW is calling it now and Leviathan Purple/Whatever GW is calling it now. You could substitute the Charadon Granite with Vallejo Smoke or Devlan Mud. (I thoroughly give up on using the new names until they are actually released Evil or Very Mad )

Agreed! Much rain will confusion. clown

I use ogryn flesh to wash and then highlight with water down dheneb. Its quick and easy...when your painting endless wyches.

Dark Eldar 2k, Space Wolves 3k, Raven Guard 3k
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych
Siticus the Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada   Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27 2012, 16:17

I go with a light wash of Badab Black over Dheneb Stone, and then highlight with a mix of Dheneb Stone and Skull White.

Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada   Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27 2012, 16:48

I use Heavy Warm Grey from Valejo Line. It is a little purple.

You can just use purple.

Look for Sorrowshard thread he uses Dheneb Stone for skin as well and placed some tips there.

Marquis Vaulkhere
Kabalite Warrior
Marquis Vaulkhere

PostSubject: Re: Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada   Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27 2012, 16:59

Thanks for all of the advice. I cant really use any grey tones as my whole army's Armour is Grey lol.

Here is what I have so far
Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada One_wy10

I used Dheneb Stone with a Delven Sud wash. My Ogryn Flesh came our reddish; I think because it is supposed to be used more on darker skin tones

Is this good looking skin or would you suggest reworking the formula, with perhaps a stronger wash like watered down brown?

GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada   Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27 2012, 22:35

I think the shading needs t be a bit stronger.

My thoughts are to add in some bestial brown or purple to your stone base color.

Then go with the dheneb stone and then highlight.

Its a bit more work, but I think the result would be better.

Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada   Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 27 2012, 23:26

I tried using a blue wash over grey to start with but didn't like the results, so now i use dheneb stone basecoat with purple wash over it then highlighted with dheneb stone and then skull white (very small highlights of white!)

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Raucir Lustingclaw
Kabalite Warrior
Raucir Lustingclaw

PostSubject: Re: Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada   Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 28 2012, 11:50

I tend to go:

Prime Black
Base Dheneb Stone
Wash Leviathan Purple
Drybrush Dheneb Stone
Highlight 1:1 Dheneb/Skull White

Kabalite Warrior
Marquis Vaulkhere

PostSubject: Re: Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada   Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30 2012, 01:05

I was surfing the GW site when I noticed a new paint called pallid Wych flesh... Apparently it is lighter then Dheneb stone so perhaps I will get some of that.

TjurigRymdalv
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada   Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03 2012, 10:46

My recipe for Dark Eldar flesh is:

Black primer
VGC Heavy Warm Grey
Watered down Leviathan Purple
Layer with 50/50 Heavy Warm Grey and VGC Wolf Grey
Highlight with Wolf Grey,
a final highlight with Skull White

This gives a the kind of vampire/emo skin I imagine the sun deprived Dark Elves in space have. I will be trying the same recipe but with the Warm Grey/Wolf Grey mixture as the base colour, since the Leviathan wash can make the shading a bit too dramatic.

My project log: Kabal of the Dachshund With a Slight Limp
Back to top Go down
Sami
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada   Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15 2012, 21:42

Will be doing a few tests on a Wych head and arm tomorrow. First mixture will be a very basic:

1) White undercoat
2) Dhenab stone base
3) Reikland Fleshshade wash

Not sure what to use for the two layers. Dhenab stone followed by Skull white is the obvious one, but I would like something a tad warmer (aiming for very light peach tones rather than grey). Might look at mixing a grey with ye olde Elf Flesh (I have the Vallejo equivalent) to warm it up a bit.

For the face the two layers/coats over the wash should suffice as there's only so much room on the model! For the arm, I'm worried it will look a bit too bland. Ideally I would like to have a smoother transition from the wash to the normal paints. A very thin harsh dark line in the deep recesses of the muscles, surrounded by a slightly larger area which is a bit lighter, followed by the light skin tones.

My biggest issue with painting is that any visual stuff I've done has been on the PC, and I'm so used to being able to adjust and blend colours with absolute precision (and importantly, preview and undo the results!) that working this way is quite difficult.

Any tips on colours or techniques appreciated. I still want to stick with the peach/flesh tones rather than blues or purples, but I'm not that fussed on how I achieve it!
Back to top Go down
mot666
Kabalite Warrior
mot666

PostSubject: Re: Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada   Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 25 2012, 10:52

i go:

black
tallarn flesh- to cover the black leaving black in recesses
slightly thin human flesh to begin shading
recently ive been using rotting flesh at this stage
thin flesh wash for more blending
bleached bone(replaced with thinned deneb recently)
thined out white
thined leviathen purple over everything
white extremes if needed.

my bro who paints model cars rekons metho is very good for thinning instead of water. im going to try this sometime soon for myself.

comes up nice pale and sickly. very happy with the finished product.

I am the Master of Darkness, and of the Abyss... I am The Ancient One. Dont make me turn you into a lap dog. I've done it several times before and I wont hesitate to do it again. Seriously! Ironic isnt it? Being accused of necromancy, with a joke inspired by The 'Necronomicon' in my sig?
my project log:
https://www.thedarkcity.net/t2874-the-kabal-raining-bullets
now with csm:
https://www.thedarkcity.net/t6430-chaos-space-marines
PM me about commision work.
Back to top Go down
lonewolf
Kabalite Warrior
lonewolf

PostSubject: Re: Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada   Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 25 2012, 11:31

keeping my flesh simple at the minute due to the amount of troops to get through

Black undercoat
Dheneb Stone base coat
Gryphone sepia wash
dheneb stone highlight
dheneb stone / white highlight
final white highlight

These are a few of my favourite things.
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat
Cavash

PostSubject: Re: Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada   Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 25 2012, 22:33

This is what I do:

Black basecoat.
Layer of Codex Grey,
Layer of skull white.
Elfe Flesh.
Bleached Bone on raised areas such as the forhead.
Skull White highlights.
Codex Grey wash.

If I want to make the charecter look old then i do multiple layers of 8:1 Codex Gey/Smurfs Blue washes.

Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada YiVCUio
Back to top Go down
Archon Farath Mure
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada   Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada I_icon_minitimeThu May 03 2012, 07:00

Mine's pretty simple: Prime black, basecoat with dheneb stone, wash with ogryn flesh, and give a light white drybrush.

(11/5/2013: A few things have been added to the Kabal's fluff, most notably shifting their base of operations into the Webway, sort of, and adding an alliance with the Alpha Legion, or at least a few heads of the hydra.)
Back to top Go down
Firdeth
Hellion
Firdeth

PostSubject: Re: Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada   Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada I_icon_minitimeThu May 03 2012, 19:42

Well with the new colors;

Basecoat black
Rakarth Flesh
Druchii Violet
Re-touch Rakarth Flesh
Pale Wych Flesh
on some character models an extra highlight of Pale Wych mixed with white.

Almost the same as the old Dheneb stone method but it seems to take me less time and the shading is more subtle. Depending on what you are going for this could be good or bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada   Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tanning beds are banned in Commorragh & Canada
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: