THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesLatest imagesNull CityRegisterLog in

1750 with the Dais--tournament worthy? Check my idea please!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
thecactusman17
Hellion

1750 with the Dais--tournament worthy?  Check my idea please! Empty
PostSubject: 1750 with the Dais--tournament worthy? Check my idea please!   1750 with the Dais--tournament worthy?  Check my idea please! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24 2012, 02:21

So I moved, and I've been looking at things in a different light. And on the way back home tonight from scouting out the Orlando area gaming stores, I got to thinking about the Heavy vehicle selection options in the DE codex, and the Bay Area Open where several of my good friends at Games of Berkeley will be playing next month.

And I started thinking, "maybe I have it all wrong about the Dais."

Dangerous thought, I know.

But i was thinking about it more and more. When we talk about the Dais, we are thinking about three things, all wrapped into one unit: Ravager, dedicated transport, and AV13 brick. Even with plenty of Melta, the average player will have at least a bit of difficulty cracking this sucker.

And that made me wonder if the unit itself was actually salvageable from a gameplay perspective.

Gentlemen, I give you the list:

HQ: 590 points
Adrusabael Vect
--Dais of Destruction
Duke Sliscus

Elite: 186 points
8 Kabalite Trueborn
--4 blasters
--2 Splinter Cannons
--2 Shardcarbines

Troops : 540 points
5 Kabalite Warriors
--Blaster
--Venom w/ dual Cannons, Night Shields

5 Kabalite Warriors
--Blaster

5 Kabalite Warriors
--Blaster

5 Kabalite Warriors
--Blaster

Fast Attack: 54 pts
2 Beastmasters
--Venom Blade
2 razorwing flocks

Heavy Support: 375
Ravager
--Nightshields
--Flickerfield

Ravager
--Nightshields
--Flickerfield

Ravager
--Nightshields
--Flickerfield

Now, there are definite weaknesses here. The model count is fairly low for an MSU army. However, look at the rate of fire. Remember, the Dais is only going to be moving 6" each primary turn anyway thanks to the embarked shooters, so we are going to get a LOT of anti-tank shooting done and fast. Plus, Sliscus can alter our deployment strategy to deep striking, and potentially giving himself and the attached unit a pain token also won't hurt. At any time, Sliscus and Vect can break off to kill something nasty in close combat, leaving the Trueborn to kill like they do best. And the beastmasters can sidle up the side of the board, striking at something from long range with the right run roll.
Back to top Go down
MrBrokenAzs
Kabalite Warrior
MrBrokenAzs

PostSubject: Re: 1750 with the Dais--tournament worthy? Check my idea please!   1750 with the Dais--tournament worthy?  Check my idea please! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24 2012, 15:18

Seems like a fun list, with a good core amount of shots. Only suggestion is with deployment:

I ran Duke for a couple games, and primary deep striked everyone inand started with only a few models on the table. I would feild all the warriors, hold the BM in reserve to come off the tables edge, and deeo strike 1 or 2 ravager, and have the dais comes in from the table edge. Deep strike leaves you to open the first turn it is in. True you do gain the save from moving (deep strike counts as moving at crusing speed giving you a 4+ cover for the 18 inch move you techincally made) but you dont want one x-wing to swoop in and get your death star through its air vent.

Im not sure the main armies of your area, but your deployment will either become a solid strength or most powerful weekness due to the random chance and scatter.
Back to top Go down
thecactusman17
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 1750 with the Dais--tournament worthy? Check my idea please!   1750 with the Dais--tournament worthy?  Check my idea please! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24 2012, 18:50

First off, deep strikers don't get cover saves for DSing. Fast skimmers need to move Flat Out for that save (over 12").

If there's anything you should deepstrike in this list, it's the Dais. Drop it straight down on top of the enemy formation, preferably in front of something with a high rate of fire like a psyrifle dread or Hydra. Now you have a gunboat on top of the enemy with multiple nasty units in it, leaving the rest of your army free to move up with impunity. Hopefully, the dais will also block LOS and grant several other units a cover save.
Back to top Go down
MrBrokenAzs
Kabalite Warrior
MrBrokenAzs

PostSubject: Re: 1750 with the Dais--tournament worthy? Check my idea please!   1750 with the Dais--tournament worthy?  Check my idea please! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24 2012, 18:58

Im pretty sure fast skimmers move at 18" cursing speed, and 24" flat out. And deep striking counts as moving at crusing speed.
Back to top Go down
thecactusman17
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: 1750 with the Dais--tournament worthy? Check my idea please!   1750 with the Dais--tournament worthy?  Check my idea please! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24 2012, 19:04

No, Cruising speed is 12". Flat out is over 12" up to 18" (Ork Trukks, Blood Angels Rhinos). Fast skimmers that move flat Out can move up to 24". See rulebook section Fast Vehicles: Moving Fast Vehicles (p70)

Additionally, Fast vehicles moving 6" or less can fire all their weapons as though they didn't move at all.

Last edited by thecactusman17 on Fri Feb 24 2012, 19:17; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MrBrokenAzs
Kabalite Warrior
MrBrokenAzs

PostSubject: Re: 1750 with the Dais--tournament worthy? Check my idea please!   1750 with the Dais--tournament worthy?  Check my idea please! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24 2012, 19:07

OH i stand corrected. My apologizes. I thought it added 6 to curse and an additional 6 to the flat out sorry
Back to top Go down
StaticVortex
Hellion
StaticVortex

PostSubject: Re: 1750 with the Dais--tournament worthy? Check my idea please!   1750 with the Dais--tournament worthy?  Check my idea please! I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24 2012, 21:24

Interesting idea. I have to admit that when I read Vect and Dais, I just dismissed it on cost alone without consideration. I am just building up my army...able to reach 1250 currently (with Wyches on the way)

The 5 man Kabalite units caught my eye and I'm curious how they fair in regards to objective holding. I've been using 9-10 warriors with Haemy and Wracks to do that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1750 with the Dais--tournament worthy? Check my idea please!   1750 with the Dais--tournament worthy?  Check my idea please! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1750 with the Dais--tournament worthy? Check my idea please!
Page 1 of 1