THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles!

Go down 
+4
Evil Space Elves
Gaston Garcon
AiEthimar
S'jet
8 posters
AuthorMessage
S'jet
Hellion
S'jet

Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles! Empty
PostSubject: Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles!   Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles! I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18 2012, 19:57

Hey guys! First off, as im new, i'm liking the blogs on this forum, some really cool stuff!

I've started DE recently and have been playing around with colour schemes. This scheme came to me through a game i play sometimes, Guild Wars. I have a character with green dragonscale type armour with brown leather, so i thought it might look cool on models. For fluff, i want my army to hunt tyranids above other races, and thats where the carapace armour comes in.

Heres a pic of the character im on about -

Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles! Ranger

And the scheme applied to a wych -

Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles! Wychtest3

Still afew details to put down on it, but you get the idea. So, all was going well, and i was happy, but then i hit a snag. I was looking at a raider and venom, and thinking how i can make it work on vehicles.

First i tried applying the carapace effect on the armour plates. It looked stupid. So i tried a different colour hull, in this case yellow, and added some spare tyranid parts i had lying around... It isnt finished but i'm not really please with hows it going, and was wondering if you guys could give me any miracle breakthrough idea's. I was planning to add some dark redy brown runes to the hull, and paint the sail with some kind of pattern of the same colour.

Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles! RaiderWIP3

As i see it, there are afew options which could work -
- Change the carapace colour to red, incorporate yellow into the infantry somehow, keep the yellow hull.
- Change the tyranid trophie colour to bone, change the hull colour to green with sharp edge highlights.
- Forget the carapace idea (as this is what seems to be causing all the problems) and paint them "normally" (i have a second colour scheme which i like)
- Burry my head in my hands, cry for another week whilst i wrestle to figure something else out.

Cheers for reading, hope to have fun on this forum!
Back to top Go down
AiEthimar
Hellion
AiEthimar

PostSubject: Re: Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles!   Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles! I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18 2012, 20:43

Unfortunately I have nothing useful to contribute, but I must say that Wych model looks absolutely stunning. I got weird looks from people around me at my university as I loudly exclaimed, "Holy @#$%" when I saw the model.

AE

Gaston Garcon
Hellion
Gaston Garcon

PostSubject: Re: Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles!   Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles! I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18 2012, 21:04

Looks great!

Keep the yellow hull, wirh green tyranid trophies, and maybe do the sails green too. Like they have flayed some tyranids and made the sails from the hide.

Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles!   Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles! I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18 2012, 21:21

It's a little embarrassing trying to give color advice to someone that paints better than I do(those models are DAMNED nice!), but I would keep the hull color, green bug trophies, and probably change the sails to the brown that you used on the Wyche's torso. Whatever you choose-welcome, and post some more pictures! Twisted Evil

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
S'jet
Hellion
S'jet

PostSubject: Re: Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles!   Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles! I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18 2012, 21:43

Thanks for comments =)

I dont really think its unified enough atm. I may add some red to the brown of the leather of the bodysuits to see how that looks. Then use the same mix for the sail with some kind of design on, and some big runes on the raider hull. That may tie it all together. Just gunna have to take the plung and see how it turns out i think =) And if it fails miserably, theres always the next one =p

I'll be starting a blog as soon as i've got it all sorted.

Keep the idea's coming though guys. I'm still wide open.

S'j
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles!   Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles! I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18 2012, 21:49

I'm not even sure that you need runes on the hull. With the weathering it may look busy. I slight bit of red added to the brown would look quite good. Post it when you get brave!

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Gaston Garcon
Hellion
Gaston Garcon

PostSubject: Re: Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles!   Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles! I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18 2012, 22:07

Why does the vehicle and infantry need too look "unified"? IMHO, it looks better when they are two different colourschemes for the infantry and vehicles.

Just the sails that need some colours, then you got an even better army than your have now. And right now it looks extremly good cheers
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles!   Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles! I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18 2012, 22:35

I think reversed highlights (instead of lighter colour use darker, like on Wych shirt) would work.

Or this:
Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles! Raider11
Painting "top" of each plate with brown.

Also, greenish "blacklining" between plates.

The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles!   Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 19 2012, 11:25

As with evil, seems odd to be trying to help someone that's so much better at painting than i am, but I'd look back at the wych model and figure out why you've painted the two colours on the areas you have. It seems that you've done the armour panels green and the fabric parts brown, so I'd maybe consider doing the armour panels on the raider flat green with a thin edge highlight and the sail brown (I realise you've tried the carapace effect on the panels but not quite sure if you meant plain green with an edge highlight or the patterned effect that looks so good on the wych)

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles!   Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 19 2012, 17:15

I'm with ESE on the sail, and I also like Local's suggestion for darkening the top of the side plates. Like the wych just as she as is.

Luv'ly job all round!
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles!   Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles! I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 20 2012, 20:38

I had a similar dilema with my own army and vehicles.

My soultion was to add a detail to all my vehicles to tie it to the army. My army is "The Black Halo" and I painted black Maori style halos on my vehicles.

You do something in a similar manner to tie in the carapace as a design feature instead of the overall theme, and therefore have uniformity in your army.

What comes to my mind is a large sweeping curve along the hull.

Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles! RaiderWIP3

its not the prettiest, but it took less than 5 minutes with MS Paint to give you an idea of what I mean.

Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles! Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles!   Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help me apply my colour scheme to vehicles!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: