THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Can i get some help here.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Incubus.Ancient
Slave
Incubus.Ancient

Can i get some help here.  Empty
PostSubject: Can i get some help here.    Can i get some help here.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15 2012, 13:37

Im not %100 on where to ask this, but ive been thinking about painting up a test warrior squad with a bone coloured scheme but im not sure how to achieve the best effect with this, advice/step by step please? Smile
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Can i get some help here.    Can i get some help here.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15 2012, 13:59

Painting bone good is quite simple.
I would start from white/grey basecoat, since it's easier to slightly darken white than lighten black.
Next thing should be thick "wash" made from slightly dilluted Snakebite Leather that You would apply in gaps and areas of shadow. Can't say how much You'll need (depends on ammount of water) but I guess 2 is more than enough.
Then painting plates with Bleached Bone, leaving gaps and shadows with SBL.
Now wash, this time real one with Gryphonne Sepia to blend everything.
And highlights with Bleached Bone> Bleached Bone+Skull White> Skull White.

Of course, You can *just* generously use Gryphonne Sepia over Skull White and then "clean" with Bleached Bone and highlight with white.

I would try both ways on spare bits, like unused heads (helmets or bare, doesn't matter).

[edit]

And yes, this is right section to ask questions about modelling.
Back to top Go down
Incubus.Ancient
Slave
Incubus.Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Can i get some help here.    Can i get some help here.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15 2012, 14:24

That's quite similar to how i was planning to paint them, thankyou very much for your advice.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Can i get some help here.    Can i get some help here.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15 2012, 17:16

Gaston Garcon has a great project log on the site that uses a very interesting technique:
http://thedarkcity.forummotion.com/t1825-gastons-garbage
(Scroll down about 1/2 way down the first page to how he does it)

His army is green, but you could easily adopt the technique using brown washes over white primer/highlighted with bleached bone/skull white.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Incubus.Ancient
Slave
Incubus.Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Can i get some help here.    Can i get some help here.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15 2012, 17:25

Thats a beautiful technique, ill try both methods and see which result i prefer. Also, with a bone colour scheme im stuck for idea's of which colour to paint the metal, on the splinter rifle, maybe using a deep red, thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Can i get some help here.    Can i get some help here.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15 2012, 17:29

A nice dark red would look quite striking with bone. Try washing it with a deeper red by adding a touch of green. It really looks great. I've seen purple used with bone, though I think that the red would really jump out. Post a pic when you try it!
[EDIT-Washing the Red not bone!]

Back to top Go down
Incubus.Ancient
Slave
Incubus.Ancient

PostSubject: Re: Can i get some help here.    Can i get some help here.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15 2012, 17:35

Once i get my camera organised ill be sure to post pictures, thankyou for your help (:
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Can i get some help here.    Can i get some help here.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15 2012, 18:21

Actually depending on Your colour choice You can try dipping to deal with WHOLE miniature.

Can i get some help here.  Laska1

Brown wood stain works pretty well with "warm" scheme, like white + red + brass.
Sorry for bad picture.
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: Can i get some help here.    Can i get some help here.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15 2012, 18:30

Agree. Dipping=FAST and effective army painting. I've seen really good results with minimal time invested.

Back to top Go down
Ebonhart
Kabalite Warrior
Ebonhart

PostSubject: Re: Can i get some help here.    Can i get some help here.  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15 2012, 20:22

can someone actually explain dipping i have no idea what that means
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Can i get some help here.    Can i get some help here.  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 16 2012, 23:05

Basically You are dipping miniatures with base colours in wood stain. Basically like wash, but due to fact wood stain is WAY thicker, it act a little different (like wash mixed with laquer).

from this:
Can i get some help here.  OrcDippingBefore
to this:
Can i get some help here.  OrcDippingDetail

in 20 seconds (minus several hours of drying and painting black edge of base)

http://www.tabletop-terrain.com/archives/category/warhammer-fantasy/page/3/
http://www.tabletop-terrain.com/archives/category/warhammer-fantasy/page/2/
Oh, this is the same thing as "army painter", except few times cheaper (and You can adjust it to Your needs).

There are several things to remember, like sometimes colours would not "play" (for example light blue + brown stain looks awful, tried that). And whole thing is basically thickly sealed, so repainting is not always an option.
Oh and You CAN use brush so it would be "funny wash" (or should I say transparent oil paint).
Back to top Go down
Azdrubael
Incubi
Azdrubael

PostSubject: Re: Can i get some help here.    Can i get some help here.  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23 2012, 08:13

We had a really good looking bone colored Necrons on our national forum not so long ago.
Here is link Can i get some help here.  6518e94c4cfce010d11a49e0469693b7

Recipe for this is
Base it with Bosney Light Grey -
Wash with Devlan Mud+Badab Black
Then several layers of Vallejo MC Pale Sand+ GW Khaki ( Pale Sand part is more with each layer)

Final Highlight - Vallejo GC White Primer

Gaston Garcon
Hellion
Gaston Garcon

PostSubject: Re: Can i get some help here.    Can i get some help here.  I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 26 2012, 11:04

Nice colour!
That would look great on a DE-army.

PostSubject: Re: Can i get some help here.    Can i get some help here.  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can i get some help here.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: