As a response for @Darkin
, here are the main color scheme I currently use for my white & red (and touches of blue) "white dark eldars".Advices
- I dilute a lot my paint in order to not clog the details, usually about 1/4 water.
- Wait for every layer to completly dry before applying the next one (especially for 2 thin coats ; works with batch of 5 or 10 models)
Here are the main colors :White
: Main colors / Celestra grey, "nuln oil", ulthuan grey, white scar.
This recipy has really evolved around the year (at first i was going for 8-10 layers of white scar + lahmia for extra bright finish *-*) but this is how I work the paint now (lining is more effective from tabletop)
- Chaos black undercoat (ik, ik, I just really don't like white undercoat)
- (abaddon black to neat it up, optionnal but gives deeper shadows IMO)
- Celestra grey, 2 thin layers (diluted with ~1/3 water).
- Prince august black shade (equivalent of GW nuln oil, but don't tend to leave white marks, i guess vallejo would be fine too). When dry if the shadow isn't defined enough, I tend to deepen it with abaddon black (diluted 1/3 lahmia) & artificial layer
- Ulthuan grey, 2 thin layers (working on gradient with the 2nd layer, smoother transition)
- White scar lining, 2 thin layers (2nd on most edgy stuff)
At first I didn't used ulthuan as i wanted a warmer white (and ulthuan tends to be a litlle blue/cold), if you want a warmer white (to add a contrast with a cold color for example), replace ulthuan with pallid wyche flesh. replace with bleached bone for a sightly more 'used' white.Red
: Main colors / Mephiston red, "nuln oil", evil sunz scarlet
- Undercoat chaos black, abaddon black
- 1 thin layer of khorne red (optionnal)
- 1 thin layer of mephiston red (2 if you didn't khorne red)
- "nuln oil", recess shade
- edges with evil sunz scarlet
- Edgy edges with wild rider red (for extra lighting, for special character or sergeants for example)
: Main colors / Sotek green, Drakenhoff nightshade, Temple guard blue
Same stuff as red, lothern blue for extra hightlightsBlack
: Ab' black, highlitghs with dark reapers, extra highlitghs with eshin grey
Make extra small highlights on black, i usually tends to make them normal and then thin them 1/2 with ab' black.
Use incubi darness for flat exposed surface (mostly used on vehicules, 1 layer ab' black, 1 layer half ab' half incubi, 1 layer mostly incubi ; all diluted with lahmia ~1/2). Also works on leathers with direct zenithal lights.Skin
: Main colors / Rakarth flesh, Druchii violet, Pallid wyches flesh.
- Base coat Half rakarth flesh, half stormvermin fur (with 1/10 lahmia to help mix), 2 thin coats
- Pallid wych flesh, 2 thin coats (First coat will appear really contrasting, but don't worry)
- Shade with druchii violet, mixed with 1/4 lahmia. BE SURE TO PUT ONLY ONE COAT, don't touch it until it's completely dry. Don't even think about it.
- Layer with pallid wych flesh, with half lahmia
- Highlights with pure Palliw wych flesh
- Extra highlitghts with white scar, 1/2 lahmia (be really carefull with those, recommended for characters only)
Hint : for haemonculi/wracks, go for a full stormvermin fur base, and mix druchii violet with green ink.
Metals : silver > classic stuff
Copper > classic stuff, with a mephiston red base coat, fr a richer goldy effect.
Ask me if you want other recipies / more details.
If you want more illustration tell me, I'm currently working on publishing pictures on my website (over 150 left >.>, ~2.5k points painted), tell me if you have preferences over the next to be published.
Kabalite & wyches available has beta showcase right now (link in signature).
Edit : Added pictures & skin recipy