THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Crystal Armour...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Archon Mephitic
Hellion

Crystal Armour... Empty
PostSubject: Crystal Armour...   Crystal Armour... I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11 2011, 22:11

I'm looking for some painting advice. How could i paint the armour of my spiky warriors to look like it's made from crystal? I am using Liche Purlpe as the base colour.

I was thinking the my army would be exiled and hiding in some evil crystal caverns deep in the heart of somewhere and they use the crystal from the cave as armour.

I wouldn't call myself an acomplished painter, but, I like throwing myself in at the deep end and having something to practice so I don't mind if it's an uber complicated method, or just a simple technique. Any help would be appreiciated. Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

Crystal Armour... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Armour...   Crystal Armour... I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11 2011, 22:47

Best would be using chrome spray paint (chrome, not "dusty silver") and cover it with purple "clear" paint (Like Tamiya clear or Vallejo model colour clear). Maybe GW washes/ Inks + Glsoo varnish would in similar way. Probably dark wash would be necessary later too, to make "black lining".

Crystal Armour... P3050024

This is part of some huge Anime Mech but it works in smaller scale...

Second best would be following this tutorial:
http://www.necrotales.com/necroTutorials/tut_gemstonesf.php

I like first one more due to simple fact - I'm terrible painter (tho I did not paint too much recently). Also, if You do that carefuly it always works in the same way, so it looks repetitive (unlike "true" gems, when You may change recipie "a little" by accident after some time and relise that new don't match old).

Lastly, You can buy full version of that tutorial e-book.
http://www.coolminiornot.com/umpg/CMON%20Ultimate%20Miniature%20Painting%20Guide%20Demo.pdf
Pretty sweet (and on title page you have crystal figure)

Mirarii
Hellion
Mirarii

Crystal Armour... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Armour...   Crystal Armour... I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11 2011, 23:04

You could try painting it like an Eldar gem, either that or greenstuff-it/cut-it to some really polygonal, crystalline shapes.
Back to top Go down
Archon Mephitic
Hellion

Crystal Armour... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Armour...   Crystal Armour... I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11 2011, 23:24

Thanks Ork, that website looks like it will be useful. I'm having trouble applying the round gem effect to the segmented armour though. I was thinking about shaving some of the armour away, but, wanted to see if I could get the effect right before I start hacking into my models.
Back to top Go down
Foo
Kabalite Warrior
Foo

Crystal Armour... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Armour...   Crystal Armour... I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12 2011, 15:48

The tricky thing about crystals is that what makes them look the way they do is their semi-transparency and ability to refract light.

With gems, they're usually small and placed in a way that you can properly guess how light would hit them no matter what angle you're looking at them from. You just find the light source, then paint highlights on the opposite side with a spot of white gleam on the light source side.

For crystals, you're going to have to figure this out for each facet of the crystal.

I was thinking about this, and in general, here's what I'd do: Pick your base colour, something relatively light and basecoat the crystal. Figure out your light source and apply darker shades of colour on that side, shading from the base colour to the darker colours. You might be able to drybrush this, actually.

Once that's done, highlight in white or nearly white along the edges of the crystal and mayeb even on entire surfaces facing the light source.
Back to top Go down
Archon Mephitic
Hellion

Crystal Armour... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Armour...   Crystal Armour... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13 2011, 14:01

I had a practice on an Incubi yesterday and it doesn't really look like I wanted to. Having just read your post Foo, I think that I'm highlighting the wrong way, it's getting lighter as I get to the top of the armour segment, not darker. I haven't got a camera, although my phone might take a picture well enough to show what I'm doing. I also get confused when the plates overlap, should I be shading the recesses in or making them bright and shiny?

I'll try and get a pic up so you can tell me where i'm going wrong.
Back to top Go down
Foo
Kabalite Warrior
Foo

Crystal Armour... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Armour...   Crystal Armour... I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 13 2011, 14:41

If you look at most crystals, they're semi-opaque. They're usually most transparent where they're thinnest and less so as they get thicker. That's usually the bottom.

The more opaque bits look brighter. The less opaque bits have more colour, but are less bright because less light is being absorbed.

Here are examples:
Crystal Armour... Crystalseen
Crystal Armour... Crystals_green30-40

Because we can't paint on light, we have to mimic this with dark and light paints, but the shading is reverse to how things usually work because the light reflects and refracts inside the crystal rather than on the surface. I think it's the same principle as seeing your reflection upside-down in a spoon.
Back to top Go down
Rabid Bunny
Hellion

Crystal Armour... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Armour...   Crystal Armour... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21 2011, 21:46

Here is what i'm doing for my Dark Eldar army. I did this a while ago, this one was painted using a grey basecoat, highlighting up through the greys to white before washing with Regla Blue before reapplying the final highlight.
Crystal Armour... LPIC4372Crystal Armour... LPIC4369

I'm doing a sililar technique for my Dark Eldar, trimmed down to help me do a full army.

I start with a white basecoat, paint the armour with slightly watered down Adeptus Battlegrey, then Regal Blue followed by a wash of Leviathan Purple. The edges are highlighted with a 50/50 mix of Regal Blue and Ultramarines blue, then some edges (the most prominent ones) are highlighted with Ultramarines Blue, then a 50/50 Ultramarines Blue/light Grey from the Foundation set, then another highlight of pure light grey, then a Leviathan Purple wash with the very edges are highlighted pure Skull White.

In hindsight, its not that simple, probably explains why i've got 2 models finished since I brought them in November when they were released...
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

Crystal Armour... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Armour...   Crystal Armour... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21 2011, 22:27

My thoughts
the thing about crystals or gems is their transparency, so what ever is behind or underneath them shows through. This is highly impractical for a full model on this scale, and its a pain with larger scale models.

Now, what might work to give the effect you are going for is to reverse highlight. What you would do is get gradually darker and darker around the ends or edges, and you highlight color would get brighter as you get to the most center sections of what ever you are painting. Kid of like Sil from the Species series. You can also get the idea by looking at a drink glass.

Anyhoo, its a pain, but it can be done. The only real thing is whether or not it will show up enough on such small parts to be really effective.

an alternative would be to go with a jeweled effect, much quicker and easier to do, and will be easily recognizable for what it is.

Crystal Armour... Youdaamrg
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

Crystal Armour... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Armour...   Crystal Armour... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21 2011, 22:45

Jeweled effect? It is something I've proposed (coloured metal)?

Ianuchu
Hellion
Ianuchu

Crystal Armour... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Armour...   Crystal Armour... I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26 2011, 22:09

If all fails, and you don't see that your skill is far enough that you can pull off such feats of painting, you could take a simpler approach. Black base coat, a black and [insert colour here] mix (50/50) on everything but the crevices, a [insert same colour here] highlight on the edges (you could do this with dry brushing), and finally gloss varnish on all the armour. While this won't give amazing masterpieces, it will give the idea for crystalline armour.

If you do decide to go with this I'd still suggest you keep a couple models aside to keep practicing better crystal effects. And once you are happy with your skill, then you can repaint the whole army so it looks better.

@Rabid Bunny
We're talking about Archon Mephitic's Kabal here, go start your own thread if you want to talk about your stuff. And you mean to say "this is how I'm doing my Dark 'Elves'.

Do Not Back Seat Mod - Baron Tordeck
Back to top Go down
Archon Mephitic
Hellion

Crystal Armour... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Armour...   Crystal Armour... I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28 2011, 14:27

Thanks for the inputs. I'm trying to practice my blending at the moment and with some of the technioques here I'm sure I'll get a good effect eventually. This is how I'm doing it at the moment; I've basecoated the armour 50/50 Liche Purple/Chaos Black then I'm using pure Liche Purple over the top but keeping away from the recesses and trying to blend into Space Wolves Grey. I prefer the grey to Skull white because it seems to give a slightly more translucent effect. Then, after a few final highlights, I gloss varnish over the top.
I'll try and borrow a camera over the weekend to post some pictures. There aren't many people round here who play, let alone paint well so I'm at a bit of a loss when it comes to brutally honest opinions.
Back to top Go down
dizylizy
Hellion

Crystal Armour... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Armour...   Crystal Armour... I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29 2011, 03:00

http://www.dark-age.com/showimage.php?id=315

I just found this and thought it might be relevant to your interests.

Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

Crystal Armour... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Armour...   Crystal Armour... I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29 2011, 03:28

I'm with GAR on this one. I would try a tinted metallic color with a clear like Local Ork mentioned. I used the Tamiya clear colors with a little bit of iridescent medium mixed in over purple.
Crystal Armour... 2011-07-25_15-25-50_123
Looks decent on my vehicles and would probably look good over metallic colors while not being a pain in the rear to do on infantry.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Crystal Armour... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crystal Armour...   Crystal Armour... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Crystal Armour...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion