THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Trueborn Close Combat - worth it?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kesharq
Kabalite Warrior
Kesharq

Trueborn Close Combat - worth it? Empty
PostSubject: Trueborn Close Combat - worth it?   Trueborn Close Combat - worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04 2011, 09:32

As i am assembling my Kabal, i have to decide what to field for cutting my opponents into little pieces.

Setting: 1000-1500 points
- Blasterborn-Unit already there
- Units goes with Archon and perhaps Haemonculus
- Raider-transported

Choice 1: 8-9 Trueborn Warriors with Pistol and CCW, AT-grenades, Dracon with poisoned blade/punisher (depends on the points i have left), perhaps a splintercannon and/or shredder.

Choice 2: 8-9 Wyches with AT-Grenades, Hekatrix (champion) with poisoned Blade, perhaps 1-2 special weapons

Question 1: should I stick a slow moving Haemi (no FoF) in those CC-units?
Question 2: Are Wyches better at CC than TB?

------------------------------
If a Unit's name sounds wierd, it might depend on GW's ability to find strange names for german Dark Eldar players (Hyemshîn are Reaver Jetbikes for example - and don't ask me, what the meaning of "Hyemshîn" is...)
Back to top Go down
Massaen
Klaivex
Massaen

PostSubject: Re: Trueborn Close Combat - worth it?   Trueborn Close Combat - worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04 2011, 11:34

Trueborn should NEVER be used as an asault unit.

NEVER.

Wyches with HWG cost the same and are MUCH better

http://objectivesecured.com.au/
Tiri Rana
Sybarite
Tiri Rana

PostSubject: Re: Trueborn Close Combat - worth it?   Trueborn Close Combat - worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04 2011, 13:03

Trueborn with plasma grenades cost the same as bare Bloodbrides.

Bloodbrides have the same equipment + combat drugs and a 6+/4++ against a 5+ save.

Nuff said.

Wyches have one base attack less, but they can take Wych-weapons and come at the price of the elite variant, and still score.

If you want to stick a Haemi in it is basically your own choice, a cc squad always likes a pain token, but the haemi is no combat monster, so take it or leave it, or probably play pain token shuffle.

Kesharq
Kabalite Warrior
Kesharq

PostSubject: Re: Trueborn Close Combat - worth it?   Trueborn Close Combat - worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04 2011, 13:52

Thanks for your musings.

I never considered bloodbrides an option for my Kabal-based army (never even looked at the list-entry...). Seems I gotta reread the codex.

Hierarch of Tactica
Shadows Revenge

PostSubject: Re: Trueborn Close Combat - worth it?   Trueborn Close Combat - worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04 2011, 16:43

The only reason to ever take assault tb is for fluff or comp points. They just are so bad it's not even funny. Use them for what they are, our sternguard

Current List:
First 2k GSC List
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Trueborn Close Combat - worth it?   Trueborn Close Combat - worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04 2011, 17:56

I don't think it's so much that they're bad - for relative point consideration vs. attacks generated they're a reasonable assault consideration.

It's just that compared to what you get with Wyches, Bloodbrides, Grots, Wracks, maybe even (gasp) Hellions they're bad by comparison. We've got a lot of very solid assault tools, and the Trueborn are just left in the dust when looking at them.

Back to top Go down
Raneth
Sybarite
Raneth

PostSubject: Re: Trueborn Close Combat - worth it?   Trueborn Close Combat - worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04 2011, 18:01

If you want a really fluffy Kabalite assault unit, you're better off fielding the Archon's Court than Trueborn. Smile

Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Trueborn Close Combat - worth it?   Trueborn Close Combat - worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04 2011, 18:09

I actually see nothing bad in them as CC fighters (they have BB statline, with exception to -1I [rarely matter if You assault] and 5+ armour instead of 6+/4++ [good if You are outside CC], pretty ok for smaller point cost considering lack of few wargear items) but yes - their main strenght is ability to pack heavy weapons in an atractive form of infantry models.
Just like Ork Lootas - yes, they have Autocannons but actually can fight with enemy and win (not sure if assaulting enemy within 12" isn't more dangerous VS MEQ, LOL).

Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Trueborn Close Combat - worth it?   Trueborn Close Combat - worth it? I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 04 2011, 19:14

I love assaulting with my Lootas when an enemy gets too close - it's still 10-15 Ork Boyz, and that's nothing to sneeze at.

Back to top Go down
Jack_The_Ripper
Slave
Jack_The_Ripper

PostSubject: Re: Trueborn Close Combat - worth it?   Trueborn Close Combat - worth it? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06 2011, 00:10

@Thor665 wrote:
I love assaulting with my Lootas when an enemy gets too close - it's still 10-15 Ork Boyz, and that's nothing to sneeze at.

Unless theyre blood angel assault marines Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Lightcavalier
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Trueborn Close Combat - worth it?   Trueborn Close Combat - worth it? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06 2011, 00:27

I actually use my Trueborn as a supplementary assault unit all the time. I run them 10 strong with 9 carbines and a dracon with a venom blade. Against hordes etc, lots of fun unloading with the splinter shots then charging in with wyches and the trueborn.
Back to top Go down
a1elbow
Kabalite Warrior
a1elbow

PostSubject: Re: Trueborn Close Combat - worth it?   Trueborn Close Combat - worth it? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06 2011, 18:13

There are so many better combat units in the slot and book that GW didn't bother giving them anything. I think it would have been cool if they could have had 4+ poison weapons, but that still wouldn't have made them as good as a lot of other stuff.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: Trueborn Close Combat - worth it?   Trueborn Close Combat - worth it? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 06 2011, 18:47

@Jack_The_Ripper wrote:
@Thor665 wrote:

Unless theyre blood angel assault marines Crying or Very sad

I would assault ESPECIALLY them. This isn't that unreasonable - for lower strenght (tho with guaranteed 3 attacks and hitting on 4+ instead of 5+) You trade their initial attack. Best of all is they awfully often have FC (if someone take JP assault marines then probably he run DoA army so he pretty much have to have Priest), so You negate their 3 S5 attacks.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trueborn Close Combat - worth it?   Trueborn Close Combat - worth it? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trueborn Close Combat - worth it?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Drukhari Tactics
-
Jump to: