HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) Empty
PostSubject: The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus)   The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26 2011, 22:13

Greetings,

My Kabal was always conceptualized as a lead Archon who maintained his power from within due to keeping his six daughters warring with each other to the point they couldn't seize power from him. Moving into the new codex I was able to functionally switch this up into making them a Kabal based off one of the old Noble Houses, thus following the theme of a patriarch and siblings who desire the 'throne' and all was well.

Except that I'm gay for Duke Sliscus.

So, I've got a Kabal themed around female commanders with one head honcho, and That'rakk has always been used as Vect on the Dias in the old codex - and I'm of a mind to have him continue that role and be Vect in the new edition (though, sadly, with less Dias appearances)

Still, I'm left wondering what to do for the Duke. I don't want my stately male Archon to be represented by a balls to the wall deep striker who eats poison and is hopped up on drugs. Also, if I want to add a new sister I'll have to rearrange things (and I'm hurting enough re-arranging the sister who used to be the RJB Archon...meh). So I decide that probably what I needed was a pirate who was allied with my Kabal. A female pirate, because dark elf boobies are what I'm all about.

As inspiration going into it I sort of toyed around in my head with Frank Frazetta, who is a definitive fantasy artist and did lots of classic barbarian/viking bits, and I liked the idea of this kind of wild woman pirate in a Frazetta theme, since a lot of the other daughters are a little more refined and calculating I thought it would be a fun fluff difference.

The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) Frank_frazetta_1
So, the above is roughly the inspiration (it's not the exact image, but Frazetta can be a little NSFW, and...well, a lot of his work was in a similar vein, so you get the basic gist here.

Moving forward with it (and giggling like a (manly) schoolgirl as I dug into the new plastic kits) I ended up with this.

The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) Pict0010 The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) Pict0011 The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) Pict0012 The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) Pict0013

The last pic shows her with the Eldar slavegirl who will soon be begging at her feet (yes, I would have prefered a male slave for the ful gist of the joke, yes I have made a male slave model once before, no I won't do it again because it takes forever, is annoying, and nobody sells male slave models that are not historical Jewish slaves lugging stuff for pyramids or Africans in chains)

My questions;

1. Do you think this "feels" HQ enough? She's elevated higher than other units in my army, and the back banner is unusual and I can do some fun work there - but does it feel like an HQ? I contemplated working in some pikes with heads behind her (opposite end of the base from the slave) but I feel like that would make the base too busy and rob from the core image).

2. Do you get the "Frazetta feel" being aware of Frank Frazetta does the vibe come off of the model in your mind or not?

3. Final question - recognizing I'll be doing some poison design work to the sword, how much do you feel this would work in your mind as Sliscus. She has the right wargear, does it carry the vibe of DE pirate captain or no?

4. Anything else you may want to lob at me.

Regards,
Thor.
Back to top Go down
xzandrate
Kabalite Warrior
xzandrate

PostSubject: Re: The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus)   The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26 2011, 22:38

OK, I'll work the questions mostly backwards.

As far as a Sliscus, I don't see any issues with the model representing. WYSIWYG is fine, and a suitable paintjob will make it noticable.

As far as the Frazetta feel, I'm not quite sold on it, the pose looks too disconnected with the slave girl there. Sword and face are facing away from the slave, you might be better either without the slave, or on a bigger base and the slave under the gaze of the model. If that makes sense?

To maybe get a male "slave", try searching for eunich, or male concubine maybe.

For the HQ-iness, it looks ok, but the pics seemed to focus the terrain in the background, so it's a little tough to make out the fine details on the belt and such.

Oh, and as a silly aside, the banner topper would be really sharp if you replaced it with the snake staff top from the empire wizard kit. Tie it together very well.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus)   The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26 2011, 22:49

@xzandrate wrote:
As far as the Frazetta feel, I'm not quite sold on it, the pose looks too disconnected with the slave girl there. Sword and face are facing away from the slave, you might be better either without the slave, or on a bigger base and the slave under the gaze of the model. If that makes sense?
Frazetta often had the slaves as sort of an adornment though - there's not many of his images where the girl is doing anything more than kneeling and sticking out her chest, or hugging a leg, while the barbarian faces off his foes. That's why she's not looking at/regarding the slave.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

@xzandrate wrote:
To maybe get a male "slave", try searching for eunich, or male concubine maybe.
I might - I've tried this a lot before though with no worthwhile results.

@xzandrate wrote:
Oh, and as a silly aside, the banner topper would be really sharp if you replaced it with the snake staff top from the empire wizard kit. Tie it together very well.
That's a cool idea - I might hunt around for a snake topping option. I think I have some possibilities in my bitz box(es) already.
Back to top Go down
Hydra
Kabalite Warrior
Hydra

PostSubject: Re: The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus)   The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27 2011, 10:43

As for the Male Slave thingy... thry this one:
http://www.fantization.com/soldout-victoriademonettewpetmaleslavex1figlimitededition.aspx

For the rest, it is kinda hard to see the position of the Dutchess probely, since it is kinda blurry. IE were does the left leg go? Is it standing on something?
Back to top Go down
http://h-archive.blogspot.de/
xzandrate
Kabalite Warrior
xzandrate

PostSubject: Re: The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus)   The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27 2011, 14:56

I get why the slave is there, just the flow of the model seems off becasue of the positioning of the slave model.

If the 4th pic is a drawing with the facing you selected, which seems like the proper facing to me; you have the Duchess engaged one direction not quite facing the viewer, the slave is faced the opposite direction of the "threat". I'd think the slave would atleast acknowledge the "threat" and be facing it, or facing forward towards the viewer.

Does that make more sense?
Back to top Go down
Evil Space Elves
Haemonculus Ancient
Evil Space Elves

PostSubject: Re: The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus)   The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27 2011, 15:10

I would try to use green stuff/whatever's clever under the rocks that she's perched on to pitch the model forward a bit. It looks like she's falling back.

I agree on the slave looking out of place. It looks like she's sort of just there for the sake of being there. My 2 cents.

My Dark Eldar Project Log
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus)   The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27 2011, 19:12

@xz - Hmmm, so if I had the slave facing the same way as the Duchess would that bring back balance?

I'll do some more pictures with that concept in mind (and hopefully clearer for you all) an dwe'll see how that looks.

@ESE - I see what you're twigging to, noted and appreciated.

Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus)   The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27 2011, 20:28

To be honest... I can't see where her legs are. Could You provide better pictures, with "pure" white background (Your camera got confused and focused on pillar in background)?

Sadly, perverted miniatures sculptors don't make too much (or any, I've searched for my nearly-all-female Coven) MALE (female are different story, hehe)slaves, especially in desirable poses (best one I've found was guy with whip and "You are a baaaad girl" expression on his... latex mask.).

As for slave... try to get kneeling IG legs and either reposit (cut in half turn one part by 90*, resculpt gaps) them or use outright.
The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) Catachan_heavy_weapon_team_kneeling_legs_2_large
There are few variants, so search a little.
You may also use different legs (standing) and either slat-bend or reposit-resculpt (there are tutorials around...).

Rest... well, there are number of ways You can have "pityful" model, like this hilarious head-arms.
The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) Empire_flagellants_stocks_large

Also Orks and Orcs.

Or go hardcore with DIY, You will enhance Your dexterity and... ok, don't gonna lie - CHICKS LOVE ARTISTS Wink. If You say "Yeah, I sculpted AND painted that" and it looks good - 2 hit combo. If You'll sing this while playing on musical instrument - quad damage!
Better - this attract (If I may quote H. G. Wells ifrom his "Little Wars")
Quote :
that more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys' games and books.
Even if they could do it better than You.

btw. those pillars are "those cheap and awesome pillars that come in prepainted sets"?
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus)   The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28 2011, 15:34

I'm thinking the slave needs a bit more edge to it.

One suggestion is to use this model

Hasslefree shimmer

You could put in a pose that adds dynamic and a more Frazetta feel.

Alternatively, the slave model is a good one, but I tend to agree it needs something more.

If you elected to go with a larger size base or if you could get it to fit, you night consider putting the slave girl behind the Archon instead. That would also, in my opinion get a frazetta feel. That way the Duchess looks more protective of her property.

My thoughts

Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
xzandrate
Kabalite Warrior
xzandrate

PostSubject: Re: The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus)   The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28 2011, 21:09

Either face her towards the duchess, or towards 'the viewer', that should help some of the flow to the model.

When I do anything like this, I pick one facing as the viewers perspective, and balance it as if it were a picture.

I'm not a great artist or anything, but this seems to work well. Especially since most people who will pick up and look at the model will spin in in most cases and come to that 'view'.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus)   The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28 2011, 21:39

The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) Pict0014 The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) Pict0015 The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) Pict0016 The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) Pict0017

Okay, a second round of pics - hopefully this showcases the legs better for you guys - she's on a rock and a branch, sort of stalking forward/holding the high ground. Yes - I understand physics wouldn't work for the branch in question, but I'm using it to showcase unnatural dextarity/poise sort of deal - work with me here Wink Also, focus of slave has been shifted to match that of mistress - win/lose/whassup?

Let's see, other questions;

1. Alternate male slaves (Local Ork...probably some others) - thanks for the input guys, I've seen most of that before. Check out my avatar for my one current male slave, and he was a *pain* to make happen. What I would really want would be a cheesecake sort of thing - for a guy that is incredibly hard to get - sexism in modeling at work Wink I may poke around a bit more, but I don't see it as likely that I'll find something in the style I would want. (feel free to keep lobbing them at me if you wish - it is hard to find those things, isn't it?)

2. Alternate female slave options (GAR) - I don't like the one with the sword, it's a great model and I get the image it's going for, but I don't see it matching with my desire. I'm not looking for a handmaiden, or an equal, or even a slave who desires to protect her mistress (as though any DE would hand a slave a weapon, posh!). So, thanks, but it's not for me and this project.

3. I don't think I have a three, but I don't like numbered lists that are only one and two.
Back to top Go down
Local_Ork
Fleshsculptor
Local_Ork

PostSubject: Re: The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus)   The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28 2011, 21:50

Well... I found some female slaves (in 8-packs, as well as single models)
Warning, Major Boobage.

Also, there is...

MY PRESSSSSSIASSSSS!
The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) M750393a_99061499075_GollumRock_873x627

I'm not sure but he actually could act as leg-rest himself due to pose. I actually have that model, he is a bit off the LoTR scale. I may search for it and compare with Raider crewman.

Oh, he also have "sexy" whip-scars on his back.
Back to top Go down
xzandrate
Kabalite Warrior
xzandrate

PostSubject: Re: The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus)   The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29 2011, 00:43

Better pics, and better flow.

The slave facing the same way gives a awsome first pic there, could easily be a great poster.

Of course now it does show off the oddity of what the Duchess is standing on, but that's fine if you are happy with it. I know the suggestion of a batter is too Lilith, and overdon, as would be a broken wall, so unless you have something sharp kicking around a bits box, it will suffice.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus)   The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29 2011, 02:25

For me the standing on the twig is equivalent to Wood Elf models made standing on leaves, or maybe Legolas from the LOTR movie walking on top of the snow while everyone else slogs through it (sadly, my favorite bit from that movie, and if you blink you miss it). I like the idea of suggesting that Eldar somehow move, balance, and perhaps even defy physics somewhat when moving. They're supposed to be unnaturally quick reflexed and fast, and for my mind that helps reflect it. Yeah, I do wish to avoid the banner (after all, eventually I will paint that Lillith model mocking me from my sideboard) a wall doesn't fit with the wilderness motif of my basing (and I think would be too bulky to fit onto the base) I suppose I could go with a tree stump, or something else, but I desire the unnatural aspect.

Other than that, thanks for the compliments and the suggestions - I think, in retrospect, I do like it a better posed thusly, and if it increases the respect from other people who see it it's well worth it to add to the notoriety of the piece.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus)   The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Duchess (WIP Counts as Duke Sliscus)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: