THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Are Dark Eldar skimmers truly necessary?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Blackfel
Hellion
Blackfel

Are Dark Eldar skimmers truly necessary? Empty
PostSubject: Are Dark Eldar skimmers truly necessary?   Are Dark Eldar skimmers truly necessary? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17 2015, 08:20

Hello fellow Trueborn!

Let me say this upfront: I'm a purist by nature. The idea that because of codex creep, the once-mighty Dark Eldar have now become nothing more than a delivery service for their Craftworld kin is completely abhorrent to me. Like many of you, I've spent long hours trying to find a way to make a pure Dark Eldar list work. Sadly, I haven't been able to come up with a truly competitive list.

One question keeps popping up again and again. On the surface, taking Dark Eldar vehicles seem like a no-brainer. The advantages of using fast skimmers to ferry around our troops seem to far outweigh the disadvantages, and that's why you see so many lists using as many raiders and venoms as an Archon can fit. Unfortunately, in the new meta, with so many Battle Companies spamming razorbacks or drop pods, and Skyhammer Assault lists allowing a first-turn assault, our vehicles are more vulnerable than ever. And when they inevitably explode, they are going to take our dark lances and a considerable portion of our toughness 3 infantry with them.

So, the question I keep asking myself is, "if our vehicles are going to die horribly in two rounds, are they still worth taking?"  And the answer I keep coming up with is "no". That being the case, is there something else I can spend those 60 points on that might work better, preferably that has a lance or two that will last more than a single round of shooting? Well, if armor isn't going to work, then we need to use the Dark Eldar's true strength, and that's a complete disregard for life of any kind. Here's what I've come up with.

Blackfel's 1850 Point Dark Eldar CAD

HQ:

Court of the Archon
Lhamaen - 10 Points

Troops:

20 Kabalite Warriors; 2 Dark Lances, 2 Blasters - 230 Points

Elites:

6 Kabalite Trueborn; 4 Blasters, 2 Splinter Cannons - 156 Points

Ravager; 3 x Dark Lances - 125 Points

Skyshield Landing Pad - 75 Points

Total - 1848 Points

By my count, this army has 17 Dark Lances, 20 Blasters, 6 Splinter Cannons, and 64 Splinter Rifles. This is a single CAD, but if you don't mind fielding two of them, then divide the Kabalite Warriors into groups of 10, and take 8 squads of them. The beauty of this list is that it uses Kabalite warriors as expendable armor, sacrificing them as much as necessary to keep the more important lances and splinter cannons alive. Ideally, the three Ravagers would sit on top of the Skyshield Landing Platform, bubble-wrapped by one of the squads of Warriors to *hopefully* insulate them from Skyhammer assaults. Once the infantry is dead, simply abandon the landing platform and fly the Ravagers to safety elsewhere on the battlefield, and let the enemy have it. You don't even have to take it at all if you don't want to, but I prefer the 4+ invulnerable save to a potential 3+ cover save, simply because so many armies have the ability to ignore cover...and jinking pretty much negates the Ravager's effectiveness at shooting anyway.  

The weaknesses are pretty glaring. In particular, there is no anti-air contingent at all, which makes the army extremely vulnerable to heldrakes and flyrants, but I tend to ignore flyers and go for objectives anyway. Putting two dark lances into each of the four Kabalite Warrior squads might seem silly, but in a round when you can hold still behind cover, having another couple of long-ranged lances shots can account for a transport or a tank, and four lances can gut a heavy infantry squad.

It's not a perfect solution by any stretch of the imagination, but it's my answer to some of the problems the Dark Eldar are facing. I'd love to hear what the rest of you think about the list, as well as the reasoning behind it!

Blackfel

Taking the theme of ridding my army of skimmers one step further, I've worked up a list that loses the Ravagers and the Skyshield Landing Platform, and replaces them with 2 Cronosi with Spirit Probes and a unit of 2 Talosi. That would cost me 9 lances, but even with the landing platform, the chances of the Ravagers surviving one round of concentrated shooting by a Battle Company are remote at best. Two Cronosi, each assigned to hover between two units of Warriors and Trueborn, would increase those units' survivability by a noticeable degree from the second turn onward. I'm not as sold on the Talosi, as they don't mesh well with the rest of the army, but they should provide a hard counter to at least one drop pod assault squad.

Here's the revised list:

Blackfel's 1850 Point Dark Eldar CAD Part Deux

HQ:

Court of the Archon
Lhamaen - 10 Points

Troops:

Elites:

5 Kabalite Trueborn; 4 Blasters, 1 Splinter Cannons - 130 Points

Heavy

Cronos; Spirit Probe - 125 Points

Cronos; Spirit Probe - 125 Points

2 Talos; Ichor Injectors, Twin-Linked Haywire Blasters - 280 Points

Total - 1850 Points

I've slimmed down the Trueborn from six models to five, and I've taken away one splinter cannon from each squad in order to give the Talos a proper loadout. Fair trade, I think, for Ichor Injectors and Haywire Blasters on the Talosi.

The only problem with this list is, I don't actually own any Cronosi or Talosi, and I'm hesitant to buy them without testing them out first. Still, on paper this list doesn't look too bad.

Blackfel
Back to top Go down
mrmagoo
Sybarite
mrmagoo

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar skimmers truly necessary?   Are Dark Eldar skimmers truly necessary? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17 2015, 13:51

If you really want to do this. You might want to consider the Corpse Thief Formation. 5 Talos in the center of the board is a threat to anything -armour 14.

Again you would have to buy 5 Talos.

I love the talos its a great threat on the field.
Back to top Go down
Blackfel
Hellion
Blackfel

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar skimmers truly necessary?   Are Dark Eldar skimmers truly necessary? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17 2015, 13:59

I've looked at the Corpsethief Claw, and I know there are many extremely good players who swear by it, but you really have to build your army around it. It's so expensive points-wise that it isn't an easy fit. And in a game filled with D flamers and the like, I can't help but feel that sinking 700 points into a single unit is just not a good idea. Spreading out the two cronoses and holding the center with two Talosi mitigates the risk you run.
Back to top Go down
Brom
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar skimmers truly necessary?   Are Dark Eldar skimmers truly necessary? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18 2015, 04:54

That looks like orks with less staying power and combat ability honestly.  Why not try horde combat approach instead? Urien, taloi, multiple beasts and bikes etc. No skimmers but much faster more durable and more threatening than warrior spam IMO. It would approach hard counter to enough common lists to be worth pursuing. I've been thinking about this for awhile too actually. Thing most opponents miss about us is that we are actually a horde army in disguise, just most people don't take that approach. However I do not think static gunline infantry is the way to do it with DE.

Last edited by Brom on Tue Aug 18 2015, 18:53; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vasara
Incognito assault marine
Vasara

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar skimmers truly necessary?   Are Dark Eldar skimmers truly necessary? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18 2015, 08:27

Please do not double post but use edit function instead. You may bumb your thread every 48 hours to get more answers. ///Vasara

ETC 2015 Captain, Eldar/DE (10th)
Painting blog
Back to top Go down
CptMetal
Dracon
CptMetal

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar skimmers truly necessary?   Are Dark Eldar skimmers truly necessary? I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18 2015, 12:57

I actually thought about a horde style army too. Please let me know how it did.

Oh. I'd lose the Splinter Cannon on the true born and add a dude. More protection against a stray bullet to lose valuable special guns.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are Dark Eldar skimmers truly necessary?   Are Dark Eldar skimmers truly necessary? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are Dark Eldar skimmers truly necessary?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Army Lists
-
Jump to: