HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Are you using models from the old range?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
speedfreek
Sybarite
speedfreek

Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22 2011, 08:40

I have always wanted to play Dar Eldar but never liked the models of old.
Now, I'll use only new parts and other GW-parts as well, for conversions.
I might base my bikes on the ols ones, but with new riders and canopy.
I use some old splinter cannoms but might switch them out for new ones.
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 22 2011, 09:34

@speedfreek wrote:
I have always wanted to play Dar Eldar but never liked the models of old.
Now, I'll use only new parts and other GW-parts as well, for conversions.
I might base my bikes on the ols ones, but with new riders and canopy.
I use some old splinter cannoms but might switch them out for new ones.

Have another look at Keravin's work, for starters. Some of the old and new plastics mesh quite nicely, but the bikes do so extremely well. I followed his examples and put old riders on new bikes and vice-versa, mixed the weapons, and best of all mixed the old/new bike bodies with the old/new canopies.

They fit with very minor adjustments and look great! You will be pleasantly surprised if you go that route.
Back to top Go down
Anggul
Sybarite
Anggul

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23 2011, 19:13

I currently use the old warriors. If you trim down their shoulder pads and only use the cool heads, they look pretty damn good.

"Oh how awful, did he at least die painlessly? To shreds you say? Well, how's his Dracon holding up? To shreds you say? Very well then... Sad, sad, terrible gruesome news about my colleague Archon Mhu'bhutu." - 'The Feather', Dracon of the Bladed Lotus
Back to top Go down
Gobsmakked
Rumour Scourge
Gobsmakked

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24 2011, 00:58

They have cool heads?
Back to top Go down
Anggul
Sybarite
Anggul

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24 2011, 19:17

I like the ones which they have in Dawn of War (obviously chosen because they were the best looking ones).

"Oh how awful, did he at least die painlessly? To shreds you say? Well, how's his Dracon holding up? To shreds you say? Very well then... Sad, sad, terrible gruesome news about my colleague Archon Mhu'bhutu." - 'The Feather', Dracon of the Bladed Lotus
Back to top Go down
Nepenthe
Kabalite Warrior
Nepenthe

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01 2011, 12:09

I'm a new convert, so I'm almost completely "new". I'm not too crazy about the new haemies, so I got an old Urien and a Haemie to sub in for them. Not sure if there's anything else I'd like to use, I might try getting some Vect bits and slapping them on a new-style raider... But that's about the extent of it.
Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01 2011, 17:06

I have a lot of the old warriors I "inherited" as part of a deal from a guy who could not sell them.

I'll probably convert them using new parts to make them look not so awfully ugly.

For what its worth, I know the guy who sculpted the old DE line. he had 2 weeks to do the entire DE model line. Warriors, wyches, incubi, scourges etc...

I feel bad for him because he is an amazing sculptor, but is best know for the old DE and nagash ( eeww).
Back to top Go down
http://garness.blogspot.com/
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01 2011, 17:43

Are you speaking of Gary Morley? I was under the impression that Chris Fitzpatrick did the Wyches.

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
https://www.thedarkcity.net
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01 2011, 17:46

From my conversation with him, he did the DE orignal release line way back in the day. I could be wrong about the wyches.

Gary Morely, yes, he is the guy.

DE is/was a sore subject with him. And he is a great guy.

Sadly his better sculpts are not what he is remembered for.
Back to top Go down
Sky Serpent
Adrenalight Junkie
Sky Serpent

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01 2011, 17:59

If you say Gary Morley to me then I think Nagash, some would also bring the old possessed and Doomrider in too.

I do remember his excellent Exodite diorama but struggle to remember his highlights.

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
https://www.thedarkcity.net
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 01 2011, 18:02

Gary did the currently terminator chaplin and a couple of others of the chaplins aorund 2002

he also did most of the LOTR Wood elf line.
Back to top Go down
Anggul
Sybarite
Anggul

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02 2011, 09:47

@GAR wrote:
I have a lot of the old warriors I "inherited" as part of a deal from a guy who could not sell them.

I'll probably convert them using new parts to make them look not so awfully ugly.

If you make sure they all have helmets with crests and not the helmet-less heads, then trim down their shoulder pads to reasonable length, they actually look pretty good. This is also dependent on posing however, which is sad because most of my current old warriors were made by a friend as his first army, and as such are posed horribly, which is a real shame.

I'll have to put up a picture some time.

Back to top Go down
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02 2011, 14:40

I think I have 80 or 90 of them, and most if not all are already assembled.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind when I get to them.

Whats funny is I also picked up some Bretonnian Bowmen, the old single pose sprue with 2 per sprue. I didn't believe my buddy when he said there were a lot and I agreed to take them.

I think I got somewhere upwards of 300 bowmen and I don't play bretonnians. maybe someday I will, I just have to add a few knights and a lord.... Sorry, off topic, but it is somewhat humorous...
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 02 2011, 16:05

The new/old Reaver combo from Page 1 is awesome, I heartily approve.

Let's see;

Using old Warp Beasts
Old Raiders
Old Ravagers
Old Talos
Old Warriors
Old RJBs
Old Wyches
Old Hames
Old Archons/Archite/Dracons/Dracites
Old Hellions
Old Scourges
Old Dias
Old Incubi

Yeah, and to top it off, I actually think most of the old range looks BETTER than the new stuff (especially the Wyches and Incubi), that's how gakked up I am. I do have a lot of new stuff too, and will add it into my army in bits to go with the Eldar and Dark Elf bits already in the army. I like my pirates to look a little more piratical, and mixed gear and non-standard uniforms does that for me.

Back to top Go down
Raucir Lustingclaw
Kabalite Warrior
Raucir Lustingclaw

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03 2011, 11:49

@Thor665 wrote:
Yeah, and to top it off, I actually think most of the old range looks BETTER than the new stuff (especially the Wyches and Incubi), that's how gakked up I am.

...agreed, you are gakked up Shocked. The new models are beautiful!

I can't deny that I still like some of the old models (despite never having owned any) - for example, I'd love me a couple of those old-school Ravagers, all jagged metal, guns and death! - but the 2010/11 releases are just so lovely, and covered in bits!

I'll be keeping an eye out for some of the models though - I really want a Kruellagh The Vile.

Raucir

Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03 2011, 18:13

@Raucir Lustingclaw wrote:
@Thor665 wrote:
Yeah, and to top it off, I actually think most of the old range looks BETTER than the new stuff (especially the Wyches and Incubi), that's how gakked up I am.
...agreed, you are gakked up Shocked. The new models are beautiful!
My big issue with the Wyches is they don't feel like Gladiators intentionally exposing skin because they're so good that they don't need armor and also to add to their martial displays.

The new ones look pretty darn armored up to me.

Also, no thongs amongst the whole crew. Sad

And the Incubi gave up their skull masks and their guns in their hats.
Back to top Go down
Nepenthe
Kabalite Warrior
Nepenthe

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03 2011, 18:31

@Thor665 wrote:

Also, no thongs amongst the whole crew. Sad
Lelith says hi! Wink
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 03 2011, 18:52

I own Lelith - she's the only new Wych that matches with old Wyches. If they all looked like that I'd have abandoned my old Wyches Wink

Back to top Go down
Crisis_Vyper
Kabalite Warrior
Crisis_Vyper

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04 2011, 17:25

Yes, I am using models from the old range. Drazhar and the old Archon are some of the models I managed to get my hands on, and am glad that I did.

I managed to get some of the old Reavers and also the old Warriors, which I know I will make them into some 'elite' squad of their respective slots.

I also managed to get myself 3 old raiders, and using some of the new stuff managed to give it a small twist of my own. Here are pics of some of them.

Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 DSC01895

Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 DSC01898

Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 DSC01892

Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 208460_1978549981838_1185807308_2403122_6550601_n

Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 208628_1978550101841_1185807308_2403123_2624400_n
Back to top Go down
SirTainly
Sybarite
SirTainly

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04 2011, 18:22

I like that, fusion of the old and new.
Back to top Go down
http://fortwargame.blogspot.com/
GAR
Dread Pirate
GAR

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04 2011, 18:29

Its definitely a cool conversion.
Back to top Go down
Thor665
Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 04 2011, 19:04

Interesting use of the tail fin piece. For the nodes on the tail with chains hanging off - are those some of the old steering consoles?

Back to top Go down
Crisis_Vyper
Kabalite Warrior
Crisis_Vyper

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 05 2011, 04:08

@Thor665 wrote:
Interesting use of the tail fin piece. For the nodes on the tail with chains hanging off - are those some of the old steering consoles?

Nope, the nodes comes with the chains, for they are the chains from the new Raider/Ravager sets. Wink

Right now, those Raiders will be the rides of the Wyches as the new raider looks more like it will be used by Kabalite Warriors. To me, the bare look and the plates of the old Raiders really felt like the new Wyches. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dr. Thodt
Slave
Dr. Thodt

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09 2011, 16:23

Wow, nice conversion Smile
I've got one of those old Raiders lying round so I might steal your idea and use it as the Duke's pimped up ride.

+ LAST FM +
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/cythron
Crisis_Vyper
Kabalite Warrior
Crisis_Vyper

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 09 2011, 20:13

@Dr. Thodt wrote:
Wow, nice conversion Smile
I've got one of those old Raiders lying round so I might steal your idea and use it as the Duke's pimped up ride.

Go ahead. Show the world that old models are like classic Mustangs. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are you using models from the old range?   Are you using models from the old range? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are you using models from the old range?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: