THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Wyches of Dooooom

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
benmannen6
Slave

Wyches of Dooooom Empty
PostSubject: Wyches of Dooooom   Wyches of Dooooom I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25 2015, 10:20

Hello.

Time for a new project, I've built up a quite large Dark Eldar collection using only the good old (ugly) Dark Eldar miniatures from the previous generation. People tend to dump them on me for almost nothing... So I have lots in storage just waiting to be included in some extreme army list. Which is exactly what this post will be about.

Most seem to complain about Wyches, and how bad they are. And I have to agree to some point, but they do have their uses, and I have noticed that most armies can deal with one or two assault units that rush your lines or deep strike behind you. But not 5-6 units... I have fond memories of Dark Eldar that used to rush the opponent with Raiders all over the board ready to unload and assault. And back then a Raider wasn't even half as tough as it is now with Jink, Night Shields and 3 Hull Points.

I've played around a little bit with a list that had a Succubus with a Webway Portal that would Deep Strike with 15 tooled up Wyches on foot (!). And it sounds really bad but it actually worked quite well. It can take on most things in the game, just dont deep strike near multiple flamers...

And I have been playing with a small allied Dark Eldar force for the new Harlequins. In it i have two units of Mimes that are represented by Wyches. Just naked 5 man units of Wyches for scoring. They have been awesome. Much better that 5 man units of Warriors with a Blaster. Maybe it's just my playstyle, but they seem to end up in Close Combat a lot and the 4++ and FNP makes them much tougher than your opponent might think. I've started to upgrade them with a Hekatrix with Haywires just for Drop Pods and Dreadnoughts...

And I want to paint up more Wyches. I have maybe 50-60 in a bag unpainted, and around 25 painted. So i almost maxed out on with Wyches in the list to force myself to paint them.

So what about the army list? What to include? I usually run very synergy-based lists with a little bit of everything. Lists that are fast and great at Scoring, not many Venoms usually, 1 or max 2. And a couple of Raiders. And normally Realspace Raiders för 6 Fast Attack slots.

With this list I want good Objective Secured, I want to rush in with my Raiders, assault units and get stuck around the Objectives. This means 6 Untis of Wyches in transports. Tooled up with mostly Agonizers and Haywires. On of them will Deep Strike with my Warlord and shoot two Blast Pistols at something. The fluff still talks about Beastpacks that run alongside the Wyches, but I cant find room for them right now. I need a flyer and two units of Reavers for Scoring and some Blaster shots.

And finally, an unusual unit for me. The Cronos! I've tried them a bit but have not been impressed so far. I want them to try to run with the Wyches and increase their PfP level for harder punch earlier on. But will they keep up? I did not upgrade them with the shooting attack just to make sure that that will Run every turn... And I got two to really be able to try them out Smile

I'll post photos asap.

Here's the list:

WYCHES OF DOOOOOM v1

Succubus: blast pistol; archite glaive; haywire grenades; webway portal 150

8 Wyches: Hekatrix (blast pistol; agoniser; haywire grenades) 135
• Raider: dark lance; night shields 75

8 Wyches: Hekatrix (agoniser; haywire grenades) 120

• Raider: night shields 70

6 Wyches: Hekatrix (power sword; haywire grenades) 90

5 Wyches: Hekatrix (haywire grenades) 65
• Venom: splinter cannon; grisly trophies 75

3 Reavers: blaster 58

3 Reavers: blaster 58

Razorwing Jetfighter: splinter cannon 140

Cronos:
spirit probe 125

Cronos: spirit probe 125

1 746 points
Back to top Go down
Tempestus
Hellion
Tempestus

Wyches of Dooooom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wyches of Dooooom   Wyches of Dooooom I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25 2015, 16:11

I loved the old Wych days, too bad its tough to make assault armies work well in this edition nevermind light assault troops like Wyches. But if you gang up on your opponent and have enough firepower support then its viable. not competitive, but viable.

and that leads us to your list. a good balance if supporting fire is necessary to help the Wyches out as I have found Wyches still need to either gang up on one unit outnumbering them, or attack an already weakened unit. Looking at your list you have 3 dark lances. IMO that is not nearly, like not even close to being enough. Mass haywire grenades is a no go anymore so reliable anti tank for Wych cults goes back to using Lances. I'd drop the Cronos, they're too slow and you NEED ravagers here. Every Raider you have should have a lance on it. Nightshields maybe, depends on the kind of terrain you play on. At my local GW store the tables there have little to no LOS blocking terrain so I use nightshields or have a crap ton of units on the table for target saturation as a defense.

Quote :
great setup, though for my own preferences of how to make some adjustments to your list i'd keep it real cheap. Archite Glaive, nothing else. this opens up points in other places

Quote :
this is your bread and butter unit! id have 5 kitted out exactly the same for more consistency. I want to know that if one falls i have 4 others that can do the same thing ready to go.

Quote :
Razorwing Jetfighter: splinter cannon 140
wicked, drop the cannon and add dark lances. then add a second one!!

Quote :

i'd replace these with Dark Lance Ravagers and use the points we saved earlier to add a third.

in the end it might look something like this

Succubus (AG) @ 95
Wyches x8 (Hekatrix + Agoniser, HWG), Raider (DL, NS) @ 195
Razorwing Jetfighter (2 DL) @ 140
Razorwing Jetfighter (2 DL) @ 140
Ravager (3 DL) @ 125
Ravager (3 DL) @ 125
Ravager (3 DL) @ 125

18 Dark Lances to take out armor and any high toughness high armor targets then send your wyches to mop up grab objectives.

You could also drop one Wych squad and add a second Succubus plus a 6 man Reaver Jetbike squad with Caltrops. Or drop the Razorwings and add a 6th wych squad and a second succubus.

I loved the vibe of the old Wych cults from the OG codex and thats why i'd build a list in a very similar fashion. I also think that its the only way to go about it now with their newer rules. or to use them sparingly with a heavy focus on jetbikes.

Koodos to you for working on something you are seeing promise in with your games! Wyches are really looked down upon (and for good reason) but its nice to see when there are those still playing them and building a new strategy with them.
Back to top Go down
benmannen6
Slave

Wyches of Dooooom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wyches of Dooooom   Wyches of Dooooom I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 25 2015, 19:39

Great feedback! Thanks!

Thats a much better list that you are suggesting, I'm afraid I might end up with something like that but I have to try out the Cronos for instance first. I know they won't do much at all and a Ravager with DL is always better... I do like the double Razorwings. I dont use flyers much so that would actually be quite different for me. I like it. And DLs would be better, I like upgrading the Razorwings with 2 Shatterfield Missiles. S7 is nice.

Cluster Caltrops Reavers are great. Especially 6 strong. That's an alternative too. I'll try double flyers first.

I might drop the portal for a cheap Succubus as you have it, or even maybe just a Shardnet and Impaler. Keep her dead cheap just because I have to have a Warlord.
Back to top Go down
benmannen6
Slave

Wyches of Dooooom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wyches of Dooooom   Wyches of Dooooom I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 28 2015, 08:17

So I did some minor changes to the list. Basically removed a Raider and a Reaver unit for another Razorwing Jetfighter and added a Reaver jetbike to the remaining unit. Two flyers! That might make the list a bit more competative. Even though it has two Cronos Smile

WYCHES OF DOOOOOM v1b

4 Reavers: blaster 74
Razorwing Jetfighter: two dark lances 140

1 749 points
Back to top Go down
Hovey
Slave
Hovey

Wyches of Dooooom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wyches of Dooooom   Wyches of Dooooom I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06 2015, 19:42

@benmannen6 wrote:
So I did some minor changes to the list. Basically removed a Raider and a Reaver unit for another Razorwing Jetfighter and added a Reaver jetbike to the remaining unit. Two flyers! That might make the list a bit more competative. Even though it has two Cronos  Smile

WYCHES OF DOOOOOM v1b

4 Reavers: blaster 74

1 749 points

My biggest complaint is you have Blast Pistols & haywires on the same model (once on HQ and another time on a hexatrix). This is unnecessary, you can't shoot with both at once, and Haywires have better range and cost less. -30 points (15 each pistol) allows you to give an agonizer to one more hexatrix.

Personaly I would drop the Vehicless wych unit for 3x Bikes, /w cluster caltrops, and heat lance and change the other unit of bikes to match this one. (if you make all the suggested changes I think you'll have enough points)
Back to top Go down
benmannen6
Slave

Wyches of Dooooom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wyches of Dooooom   Wyches of Dooooom I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09 2015, 12:55

I see what you mean, I would have to change it to a Realspace Raiders list to fit in one more Fast Attack, or drop a flyer. I'd like to keep it as a normal CAD to get better Warlord Traits via the Strategic table.

And it's nice to be able to drop in with the Portal and take two Blast Pistol pot shots, and the Haywires are against Dreadnoughts. I've gotten stuck in CC with those way too often...
Back to top Go down
Talos
Kabalite Warrior
Talos

Wyches of Dooooom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wyches of Dooooom   Wyches of Dooooom I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09 2015, 15:27

I like your army, it was great fun to play against it during the GothCon tournament, and I hope I get the chance to play against you in the future.

You should think twice before you switching to the realspsaceraider detachment. Because if you do you will lose an imported piece of your army. Objective secured does not apply to troops from the reealspace detachment, only troops from CAD and allies detachment have that rule.

Sorry to once again rain on you parade
Back to top Go down
http://www.olasart.se
Sponsored content

Wyches of Dooooom Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wyches of Dooooom   Wyches of Dooooom I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wyches of Dooooom
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA