THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

1500 Coven competitive list

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Vraneth
Slave
Vraneth

1500 Coven competitive list Empty
PostSubject: 1500 Coven competitive list   1500 Coven competitive list I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 28 2015, 11:51

Hey all. this isnt really for tournaments as there arent that many around where i live. More just so i know i can have a go-to 1500 list that has some edge to it.

Recently i have been little disillusioned by the Kabal side of my army, i find getting the synergy in there and the ability to take out armour in a satisfactory manner to be - well tricky - Lances imo do nothing - i mean i honestly cant remember the last time i played a game coming out going "yeah i was really happy with my DL's that game - if they dont miss then they dont glance is my general view on them (last night i had 6DL's and 2 VL's against one stormraven and i got one pen.... 1 pen from 4 units of pure anti-armour guns...) come on im sorry but makes lances a complete 100% waste of points.

Having said that i have some reapers etc so other Kabal methods - but back to the topic this is a Coven list not a Kabal lol.

I need to buy more Grots - only have 3 but my main opponent lets me proxy as i let him proxy (we prefer beer tunes and some dice to strict adherence to the letter of the law - as long as when writing a list we check and dont take the p*** its all just a game)

So to the list From the Coven Supplement:

1495 Coven: There is a spare 5 points here, and chain snares seem silly imo so if anyone has any ideas...

Heamonculus: Agoniser, Liquifier, Sindriq's Sump - 120
Heamonculus: Agoniser, Liquifier - 110
Wracks: 3xWrack, Athocyst (liquifier, Agoniser) Wrack + Ossefactor - 115

All the above in a Raider: DL, EA, NS - 80

Grotesques: 3xGrots + Grot and Liquifier + Abberation (Agoniser);
Raider DL, EA, NS - 305

3 x Talos: Chain-Flails, TL-Haywire blaster - 405

Formation: Scalpel Squadron:
2x Wracks: 3xWrack, Athocyst (liquifier, Agoniser) Wrack + Ossefactor;
Venom Dual Splinter Cannons - 360

Thats the list so far. The Talos i would run either as a unit of 3 or each one alone - depending on the army im facing (against BA last night i kept them individual but also close together and they worked a treat)

Im a little sceptical on the lack of fliers tbh, i think that is one major issue with this list - i like having some anti air or support in the air at least.

Im pretty much in Love with the scalpel squadron, that D3 first blood VP's is just amazing!!!

Comments and criticism welcome - my first real major forray into a Coven list - i just want a little change from a kabal you know
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: 1500 Coven competitive list   1500 Coven competitive list I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 28 2015, 16:59

As with all Coven lists, it suffers a major lack of alpha strike anti tank. You've already identified the issue with fliers.

You basically have one reliable anti tank squad in the whole list (the Talos) and with just one grot squad there's not much close combat scope for AT either.

I feel like I've said this a lot recently about lances, so I apologise if I'm covering old ground, but 1 lance is not a viable AT option in a list. Nor is three. Your example sounds like bad luck more than a problem with the weapon itself (unless your opponent evaded with the storm raven in which case, mission accomplished!). I'm sure you know the numbers but 6 lances should cause 4 hits and 2 glances or pens. The two void lances have a better chance but still need 3's and then 3's to get a result, which is just under 50% chance of doing a hull point per lance (33% of forcing a pen).

Some days those lances just don't go for you, others they do. Don't get disheartened with them, just take more...

Back to the Coven list though, i personally prefer ichor injectors on the Talos, but then I face a lot of Monstrous creatures in my meta.

Not sure what your haemonculus unit is trying to achieve either - it looks to be a liquifier delivery system, I'd just question why you want that? S3 variable AP templates that cost three times as much as marine flamers? Not my idea of good.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Vraneth
Slave
Vraneth

PostSubject: Re: 1500 Coven competitive list   1500 Coven competitive list I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29 2015, 00:21

Yeah ill leave kabal for a while, write a list some other point for them - one list at a time lol.

I find the haywire blasters just so useful against tanks - we played another turn of that game this evening and i totalled a land raider, after having take out a drop pod turn one (1 VP for enemy vehicle - easy point lol) and killing a few other marines.

I would like the option of a second grot unit but tbh £££ saving is the issue there and the cost per model is very high - though they are very nice, got rampage on one remaining Abberation and ended up with 9attacks at AP3 which is nice lol - shame how many 6's he came out with on his FNP lol.

Liquifiers are there really to fill the slots, not much else to put on them sometimes, but it would save points for elsewhere and they are together cause one wont fit in with the grots on a raider and you need 2 HQ's for a coven list, which - even though i usually run 2 HQ's - i dont really like it when im not sure what to do with one of the HQ's. i think i need to have a sleep on some of the points spending in that list.

I found a coven list is actualy kinda nice to hide and force them to come to you - now i should buy more LOS blocking terrain for my board haha - and find someone with a different army than BA or DA and get them round for a game!!
Back to top Go down
Dalamar
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: 1500 Coven competitive list   1500 Coven competitive list I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29 2015, 22:36

Vraneth wrote:

Liquifiers are there really to fill the slots, not much else to put on them sometimes, but it would save points for elsewhere and they are together cause one wont fit in with the grots on a raider and you need 2 HQ's for a coven list, which - even though i usually run 2 HQ's - i dont really like it when im not sure what to do with one of the HQ's.  i think i need to have a sleep on some of the points spending in that list.

Remove one grot from the squad and add the Haem to the unit. now you are one model closer to the grotesquery formation. Buy one more Grot and you can run 2 units of 3. In the meantime you just saved some points to add elsewhere.

I would then buy one Cronos and field the DA formation.  as you add a model here or there you run all formations and remove the detachment. you just need more Haem as you go.

That is how I would progress just using the Coven book.
Back to top Go down
sweetbacon
Wych
sweetbacon

PostSubject: Re: 1500 Coven competitive list   1500 Coven competitive list I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 29 2015, 23:34

The real magic in the Covens book is are the formations. If I were you, I'd build the list around the Dark Artisan, Grotesquerie, Corpsethief (or run multiple Dark Artisans if you don't want to run the whole Corpsethief), and/or Scalpel Squadron(s). Dealing with armor is always going to be your biggest challenge with Coven units, so I'd recommend Grots for light vehicles and Talos w/HL or HWB for heavier vehicles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1500 Coven competitive list   1500 Coven competitive list I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1500 Coven competitive list
Page 1 of 1