THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Magnetising a raider/ravager?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

Magnetising a raider/ravager? Empty
PostSubject: Magnetising a raider/ravager?   Magnetising a raider/ravager? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19 2015, 11:18

Hey guys n gals.

I have been thinking about magnetising my raider so that it can be swapped out for a ravager when I need it to (and also saves me painting another extra vehicle Smile ). Now I can manage magnetising the weapon options as this is quite simple, but I was wondering if anyone has any luck magnetising the chassis for the sponsons ect and if they could post up some pics?

Thanks

SC jocolor
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: Magnetising a raider/ravager?   Magnetising a raider/ravager? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19 2015, 11:52

Sorry, not tried it like that, though my ravagers do disassemble for transport. I'd assume you'd need to bury the magnet into the lower support for the side gunner, and the hull (probably the bottom hull). The top support boom is easy, cut off the male connector from the gunner and drill a magnet into the pillar, and bury the second magnet into the female connector of the boom (it might need widening just a little bit), then just magnetise where the boom attaches to the central support pillars off the deck and voila, the gunners come off, the boom comes off and can be replaced with the standard raider version, and then you should be able to replace the bottom supports.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Erebus
HTMLaemonculus
Erebus

PostSubject: Re: Magnetising a raider/ravager?   Magnetising a raider/ravager? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19 2015, 13:36

I've actually done this and found you only really need to magnetise the weapons themselves. Everything else can rely on press fitting.

I'll try to get some photos up. Possibly even do a tutorial if I can find my last unassembled Ravager.

Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

PostSubject: Re: Magnetising a raider/ravager?   Magnetising a raider/ravager? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19 2015, 14:32

@the burning eye. I was thinking of using rectangular magnets to slot into the gap where the gang planks go to fit on the gunner chassis. And then just magnetise the central boom and each pivot. Poss over complicating things though

@Erebus. Yes would like to see some photos cheers. Have you found that over use ends up breaking or damaging the push fit parts though? That's why I was thinking of fully magnetising it, to avoid damae from continual changes.

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
Erebus
HTMLaemonculus
Erebus

PostSubject: Re: Magnetising a raider/ravager?   Magnetising a raider/ravager? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19 2015, 15:05

I know you said you can manage magnetising the weapons, but I'll show how I did it for the benefit of others who may read this:

First, I cut off the pegs on the sides of the weapons, then drilled a very shallow dip where they once were and glued a magnet there:

Magnetising a raider/ravager? Imag0010

Then I used a drill to slightly widen the slot in the shield where the pegs sit and glued magnets there:

Magnetising a raider/ravager? Imag0011

For the front gun, it's much the same, but I placed the magnets in the slots before gluing the two halves of the shield together.

To connect the gun to the shield, simply slide the weapon through the back of shield. The gunner is placed by sliding one leg over the seat, then lifting him up into place.

If this is too fiddly, an alternate method is to simply glue the gunner and weapon in place, but cut off the barrel of the two weapon options and magnetise those.
---

For the sponson support, I assembled the Ravager without placing the floor support, like you would a Raider:

Magnetising a raider/ravager? Imag0013

I then cut the floor support piece in half (filed the cut smooth) and removed the pegs on the underside:

Magnetising a raider/ravager? Imag0012

This allows the floor support to be slid into place when using a Ravager, and swapped out for the plank when using a Raider.

The top support boom can simply be pushed into the back pillar, but it may be wise to widen it slightly with a drill, so it can be removed more easily. Same with the sail.

As for connecting the gun mount to the boom, I originally did it the way @The_Burning_Eye describes:

Magnetising a raider/ravager? Imag0014

However, I would actually recommend leaving the pegs and simply push fitting instead. Same with the hull connection.

@spellcheck2001 wrote:
Have you found that over use ends up breaking or damaging the push fit parts though?
No, but I don't really play enough for overuse to occur. As I said above though, I would recommend slightly loosening the holes for pegs so they can slide in/out without much resistance so as to avoid potential breakages.

Last edited by Erebus on Mon Jan 19 2015, 15:13; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre
spellcheck2001

PostSubject: Re: Magnetising a raider/ravager?   Magnetising a raider/ravager? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19 2015, 15:13

@Erebus. That's actually pretty much what I was looking for (apart from the push fitting in places). I was going to just cut the gun barrels off and magnetise those but your way is actually better Smile. Thanks for the breakdown, really helpful Smile

SC jocolor

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
Erebus
HTMLaemonculus
Erebus

PostSubject: Re: Magnetising a raider/ravager?   Magnetising a raider/ravager? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 19 2015, 15:22

I was going to do it that way myself, but the thought of the barrels spinning around bothered me, so I went with the more convoluted way. Glad I could help.

PostSubject: Re: Magnetising a raider/ravager?   Magnetising a raider/ravager? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Magnetising a raider/ravager?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: