THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

1500 scourge list

Go down 
AuthorMessage
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

1500 scourge list Empty
PostSubject: 1500 scourge list   1500 scourge list I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09 2015, 11:01

following demetiae's analysis of splinter units and conclusion that scourges are actually the best value, it got me thinking about how cool a scourge - based list would look on the tabletop.

So last night I sketched out a first draft. Any comments on improvements whilst keeping the main theme welcomed.

HQ
Haemonculus, Helm of Spite, Stinger Pistol, Webway portal, Agoniser, Scissorhand

Troops
5x warriors, 1 blaster in venom with dual cannons
5x warriors, 1 blaster in venom with dual cannons

Fast Attack
5 scourges with 4 splinter cannons
5 scourges with 4 splinter cannons
5 scourges with 4 blasters
5 scourges with 4 haywire blasters
5 scourges with 5 heat lances
Razorwing

Heavy Support
2 Talos with twin haywire blasters and ichor injectors

Talos are there for tough early board presence and a bit of AT, venoms probably start on the board then everything else comes in reserve (though theoretically you could reasonably start the splinter scourges on the board and have decent range if your opponent is infantry heavy.

What do you reckon - worth a punt for friendly games? Competitive? How would you change things?

There's obviously a lot of points tied up in the haemy, enough to buy an empty venom in fact, but would you strip the warlord down to barebones? What would you buy if you did, since all my FA slots are full.

Are the Talos unnecessary, would you try and get something else in with the points instead?

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
helvexis
Sybarite
helvexis

1500 scourge list Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1500 scourge list   1500 scourge list I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 11 2015, 01:22

Instead of talos you could try a large warrior squad and an aegis line with gun or perhaps a voidshields as early game table presence. I really really like helm of spite with a wwp on my archon so I like the haem as is but he is a lot of points for something so easy to kill.
Back to top Go down
Khalifeth Drakh
Hellion
Khalifeth Drakh

1500 scourge list Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1500 scourge list   1500 scourge list I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 11 2015, 02:56

First let me say that I love this idea, and it would be an absolute joy to model. I can imagine the Haemonculus as an ancient "Scourge King," so to speak.

I think it would work mainly in friendly games more so than in a competitive setting, but that might depend entirely on your competence with the army. It has a reasonable amount of AT and AI. Scourges don't seem to be a very good AI unit though due to the loss of firepower per model.

@The_Burning_Eye wrote:

There's obviously a lot of points tied up in the haemy, enough to buy an empty venom in fact, but would you strip the warlord down to barebones? What would you buy if you did, since all my FA slots are full.

Are the Talos unnecessary, would you try and get something else in with the points instead?

I think both of these issues could be solved relatively easily. Turn one Talos into a Cronos (with probe) and make them and the Haemy a Dark Artisan formation. Buy a Venom with a Lhamaean in it for your CAD HQ choice.

You would have to downgrade the Haemy (WWP and a Scissorhand only would save you 50 points) and find a tad more to trim, but you'd gain another Venom and could deep strike the DA if you wanted.

D.

Hellion
katfude

1500 scourge list Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1500 scourge list   1500 scourge list I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 11 2015, 05:26

Love scourges as models and love the heavy weapon firepower they bring. Fluff-wise it is justified in the dark eldar book trilogy as well... Malixian the Mad loves scourges!

Fun list? Yes. Competitive? Just wait until you play someone with Wyverns. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Demantiae
Sybarite
Demantiae

1500 scourge list Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1500 scourge list   1500 scourge list I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12 2015, 16:36

@katfude wrote:
Love scourges as models and love the heavy weapon firepower they bring. Fluff-wise it is justified in the dark eldar book trilogy as well... Malixian the Mad loves scourges!

Fun list? Yes. Competitive? Just wait until you play someone with Wyverns. Shocked

If somebody is playing Wyverns then right off the bat your raiders, ravagers and reavers are in trouble, putting some of your best units at risk until you get those Wyverns dead. Only thing that stands a chance with them are Venoms but then you're forced to use blasterborn for anti-tank. A lot of points sunk into fragile short-ranged anti-tank just to deal with one type of unit.

If somebody is bring Wyverns then you take out the Wyverns before anything else. Doesn't matter what list you're running you take them first. Where Scourges have an advantage is in their deepstriking. With their anti-tank range of 18/24" they're crippled less by DS scatter than a squad of blasterborn with a 12" range. And you can potentially take 6 units of scourge compared to 3 units of blasterborn.

Wyverns have limited range so use that to stay out of their fire and use the scourges to pop the ones that can hit you.

Personally I would increase the size of the slinterscourge if you're using them as your anti-infantry units. Venoms have an advantage in range, agility and positioning so they can reduce incoming fire through careful placement. Scourges are more at risk to small arms fire so it's essential that whatever they shoot at takes serious casualties. I think a unit of 8 (4 canon, 4 carbine) has enough firepower to cut 10 man squads at half with average rolls. That's important because you don't want them to receive much fire in return. My thoughts have been to use 2x8 man squads and a couple venoms for backup. Your anti-tank scourges can be taken 5 man though.
Back to top Go down
The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

1500 scourge list Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1500 scourge list   1500 scourge list I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12 2015, 16:57

Ravagers don't need to worry about wyverns at all, as they can't hurt AV11. Raiders and Venoms are also not concerned too much as the wyvern still needs a 6 for penetration just to glance (unless you're looking at 3+ wyverns I wouldn't even bother jinking). Infantry out of transports however are dead, plain and simple, unless you're a grotesque or you have a shadowfield.

So yeah, nail those wyverns fast - ravagers or deep striking scourges (well whaddya know...) are probably the best option (trust me, I've played plenty - including a 1500pt list that had 4 in it!). Played well, they'll be getting cover from most angles (to be honest, if I were a guard player I'd take an aegis or two just to wrap my wyverns up nice and safe.

I see your point about units of 8, and the first thing I'd do at higher points is add bodies to those units. At this level though, my only other option to increase the unit size is to drop equipment from the haemy (who walks the heat lance unit onto the table, so I'm not dropping the WWP) or one of the flyers - don't think I'd want to drop to just one Talos on the table on turn 1 - even I'm not that brave!

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

1500 scourge list Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1500 scourge list   1500 scourge list I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1500 scourge list
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Army Lists