THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Disobedient mandrakes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tengu
Wych
Tengu

Disobedient mandrakes Empty
PostSubject: Disobedient mandrakes   Disobedient mandrakes I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 23 2014, 23:30

Disobedient mandrakes DSCF3285_zps75d13765

Disobedient mandrakes DSCF3292_zps2e49d953

Disobedient mandrakes DSCF3295_zps27952e37

This lot squirmed and wriggled and hid in the shadows...I think they are painted now

however Im not happy, any suggestions for my next batch?
Back to top Go down
Grub
Wych
Grub

PostSubject: Re: Disobedient mandrakes   Disobedient mandrakes I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24 2014, 18:05

Your going to call me crazy. However. Paint all the skin grey. Then paint all the recesses etc a bright blue. Then drybrush with a darker grey and touch up anywhere where you have gone over with the blue. Next apply a heavy nuln oil wash. It will auto highlight the mandrake nicely. Then once it has dried try and fill in the blue recesses again.

Mandrakes are fiddly work, but perhaps try that, washes make everything easier! If it is too bright drybrush it with black and hey presto, a less troublesome mandrake! Merry Xmas as well!

A very slow, 30K Salamander Distraction Log: VULKAN LIVES
Back to top Go down
Tengu
Wych
Tengu

PostSubject: Re: Disobedient mandrakes   Disobedient mandrakes I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24 2014, 20:13

I see your mandrakes are even more disobedient than mine
Back to top Go down
Grub
Wych
Grub

PostSubject: Re: Disobedient mandrakes   Disobedient mandrakes I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 24 2014, 23:59

Haha I did mine a long while ago! Cant say I have ever posted pictures though Did some for a chap at my local club after he saw my salamanders, worked nicely in very little time! Washes are the key (wish I knew before I finished my dark eldar! If they got the effort that I'm putting in to the milatarium tempestus army in doing for a bloke I would be very happy with my war-host! Razz

A very slow, 30K Salamander Distraction Log: VULKAN LIVES
Back to top Go down
Vindicavi
Kabalite Warrior
Vindicavi

PostSubject: Re: Disobedient mandrakes   Disobedient mandrakes I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 25 2014, 10:42

I painted mine in a fairly similar way to yours; black skin and light brown robes. I then did a dark wash over the robes to make them very dark at the bottom near the base and the mixed up a very icy blue-white and dry brushed their skin with it to high light the rules and fire, then used a white dry brush round the edges of the flames in their hands and on their hair. Hopefully this is in someway helpful Smile
Back to top Go down
nexs
Wych
nexs

PostSubject: Re: Disobedient mandrakes   Disobedient mandrakes I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 12 2015, 00:38

I'd advise not to paint the skin black. Start with grey and wash (or glaze). The more you water down colours, the less clogged the model will get. Even though you have to do more coats, if you're sensible with the amount you use on each coat, it won't clog at all.

Nice chouie of colours Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disobedient mandrakes   Disobedient mandrakes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Disobedient mandrakes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion