HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

Vallejo Paint consistency?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheNeonArlecchino
Hellion
TheNeonArlecchino

Vallejo Paint consistency? Empty
PostSubject: Vallejo Paint consistency?   Vallejo Paint consistency? I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 16 2014, 23:18

I am completely new to painting minis so have no idea how thick paints are supposed to be when out of the bottle. The first paints I picked up all came out as a very pasty tube which lead to some problems with clumping and going places I don't want them to go.
After stripping my first attempt, I started reading how to get a proper yellow since my first attempt came out green. I found out I needed a light brown so got a bottle and today I was practicing some more and unlike the first paints, this one came out as a drop of thick liquid and was TONS easier to use.

My question is, how thick is paint supposed to be out of the bottle and how do I get the consistency of the new bottle in my old ones?
I've had the new bottle a few weeks and the other ones a month or two but both have been stored the same and all of them are from Vallejo's Model Color line.
Back to top Go down
Calyptra
Wych
Calyptra

PostSubject: Re: Vallejo Paint consistency?   Vallejo Paint consistency? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 17 2014, 01:57

Generally speaking, you should thin your paint with a bit of water before applying it to a model. How much water will depend on how thick the paint is, and how thin you want it to be, so that's something you'll get a feel for as you gain experience.

Sometimes, in paint that's been sitting for a while, the pigment will start to separate from the emulsion (the emulsion is the clear, runny part). Generally just giving a paint pot a quick shake before opening it up will take care of this, but in some cases you may need to actually stir it. I dislike the Vallejo dropper bottles for this reason, though the dropper nozzle can be popped off (and back on).

Back to top Go down
Its_Rumble
Sybarite
Its_Rumble

PostSubject: Re: Vallejo Paint consistency?   Vallejo Paint consistency? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 17 2014, 04:17

Vallejo has amazing paint, I have found that with them and army painter you rarely have to add any extra water. I do use a wet palette and it seems to be perfect. you will be able to tell if you do a drop and it starts to run out thats a good sign. However if it comes out like toothpaste you better wet that up.

Archon
Thor665

PostSubject: Re: Vallejo Paint consistency?   Vallejo Paint consistency? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 17 2014, 04:19

I like the dropper bottles because unlike GW paints I usually get to use all the paint as opposed to having over half of it dry out in the pot.

I always hear that the optimal consistency is about 'like milk'.
I will admit my personal method is water+paint+hope and proceed from there.

Back to top Go down
TheNeonArlecchino
Hellion
TheNeonArlecchino

PostSubject: Re: Vallejo Paint consistency?   Vallejo Paint consistency? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 17 2014, 06:16

Thanks for the replies! ^^

@Calyptra wrote:
I dislike the Vallejo dropper bottles for this reason, though the dropper nozzle can be popped off (and back on).
Does it pop from the top or the bottom? I think I may need to stir it since some parts go on thick and some look like I wiped it off.

@Its_Rumble wrote:
Vallejo has amazing paint, I have found that with them and army painter you rarely have to add any extra water. I do use a wet palette and it seems to be perfect. you will be able to tell if you do a drop and it starts to run out thats a good sign. However if it comes out like toothpaste you better wet that up.
Toothpaste is what I'm getting at the moment from most of my colors. I was doing more painting today and can't quite get the right consistency even after adding water. Does that mean it's definitely emulsion? I was stirring for a minute or two.
Back to top Go down
aurynn
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: Vallejo Paint consistency?   Vallejo Paint consistency? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 17 2014, 08:30

If your paint is too thick in the bottle or pot, add acrylic paint medium. Go to some art stire and ask for it. You should be able to get about 150ml for around 10 bucks for high quality. Paint coming from bottle should be thick like pancake dough - should drip but run slowly on level surface. Before painting thin it down wit bit more medium and bit water to have milklike consistency. From here you go devising your own consistencies to use.
Back to top Go down
Calyptra
Wych
Calyptra

PostSubject: Re: Vallejo Paint consistency?   Vallejo Paint consistency? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 17 2014, 14:33

People are going to give you broadly different answers about what paint they like. After GW discontinued every color in my palette (in some cases more than once) I vowed to never buy another GW paint pot again, though some people really like them.

Lots of people love Vallejo, though I dislike the dropper bottles and am often less than thrilled with the consistency. However, Vallejo is readily available, and is good for matching old GW colors, and they've never discontinued anything.

I prefer the P3 paints, though they are a little more expensive, and less available (I have to order mine online, which is inconvenient). I think they have superior consistency and opacity. They are also sold in pop top pots similar to the very old (ten years or more now) GW ones, which don't dry out. The droppers don't dry out either, but you also can't easily scrape the bottom of the pot.

I don't think adding water to paint is an inconvenience; it is exercising control over the paint's consistency. I also use a wet palette, which automatically adds water, but that might be beyond the scope of this discussion.

I keep two things on hand to add to paint in addition to water. The first is acrylic medium. The only hobby line to sell this that I know of is P3 (and I've never used theirs), but it's readily available in the acrylics section of your local art supply store. Acrylic mediums come in a range of viscosities and finishes, so make sure you're not getting one that's too thick (it will say if it is, if it just says something like "matte medium" it'll be fine). I like Golden, but Winsor & Newton or whoever will be fine.
Basically, this stuff is acrylic paint without the pigment. It's good for resuscitating old paint that's starting to dry out. It's good for making paint more workable without making it runny. I use it a lot for glazing, when I want very translucent paint but I don't want a very thin consistency.

The other stuff I use is called retarder (again, I use Golden's), and it slows down the drying time of acrylic paint. I use it when my wet palette is being finicky but adding water would flood the paint I'm working with, and when I'm doing fine detail freehand work and don't want the very small quantity of paint on my very small brush to dry there instead of on the model. If you get retarder, use it sparingly, because if you add too much the paint won't dry properly. Also, retarder can reactivate dried paint, so be careful you're not contaminating the color on your palette with something previously dry underneath.

When one of my paints starts to dry out I add water, medium, and retarder until it becomes cooperative again.

I don't know if your paints are drying out or just really separated or both (that can happen sometimes). Hopefully something in this ramble is helpful for you.

Back to top Go down
TheNeonArlecchino
Hellion
TheNeonArlecchino

PostSubject: Re: Vallejo Paint consistency?   Vallejo Paint consistency? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 17 2014, 17:57

All of this is really helpful, thanks a ton!

I'll try out an acrylic medium, hopefully, later today! I'll look into retarders and a wet palette later on since I'm only painting up a few models to learn with right now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vallejo Paint consistency?   Vallejo Paint consistency? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vallejo Paint consistency?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Painting & Modelling Discussion
-
Jump to: