I finally tried out my new codex on Saturday, against the old thorn in my side, the Sillymander Space Meringues. And I won!
My list wasn't everything I might have wanted, but it would have to do for now and it let me try out a few of the new things:
Realspace Raiders Detachment:
HQ(1) Barking Agatha (Succubus of the Cult of Disdain), Archite glaive, Haywire Grenades, Armour of Misery (Warlord)... 120 pts
* Troops(1) The Pink Candy Pack: 10 Kabalite Warriors, 1 x Blaster, 1 x Dark Lance in Pink Candy Raider, Dark Lance ... 175 pts
* Troops(2) The Blue Candy Pack: 10 Kabalite Warriors, 1 x Blaster, 1 x Dark Lance in Pink Candy Raider, Dark Lance ... 175 pts
Troops(3) The Tangerine Madds: 10 Wyches, 1 x Hydra Gauntlets, 1 x Razorflails, 1 x Shardnet & Impaler, Hekatrix, Agoniser, in Tangerine Raider, Dark Lance ... 215 pts
Elites (1) The Ingenious Abominations: 4 Grotesques, 1 x Aberration, Scissorhand, in the Horrorcraft (Raider)... 215 pts
* Fast Attack (1) The Circus of Blades: 6 x Reavers, 2 x Cluster Caltrops, 2 x Heat Lance ... 146 pts
Fast Attack (2) The Flock of Heartrip Eyrie: 5 x Scourges, 4 x Haywire Blasters, Solarite, Splinter Pistol & Power Lance... 140 pts
Elites (2) The Heirs of Loathing: 5 x Trueborn, 4 x Blasters, Venom, Splinter Cannon... 180 pts
Elites (3) The Acolytes of Atrocity: 5 x Wracks, 1 x Ozzyfactor, Acothyst, Scissorhand, Venom, Splinter Cannon... 150 pts
Troops(4) The Snow Madds: 5 x Wyches, Venom, Splinter Cannon... 115 pts
Morbith's Babies (Dark Artisan Formation):
Morbith (Haemonculus of the Coven of Jaded Atrocities), Scissorhand, Stinger Pistol, Webway Portal... 120 pts
Talos, Twin-Linked Heat Lance... 125 pts
Cronos, Spirit Probe... 125 pts
My friend's army list (more or less, from what I remember) was:
Sillymander Captain with the Teats of Terra ('the what
of Terra?' I asked. 'The Teats of Terra,' he solemnly repeated. Well, it's his codex, he ought to know.)
Sillymander Librarian w/ Jump Pack
Techmeringue w/ Serving Arms (includes flamer?)
2 x Dreddlocks w/ 2 x Heavy Flamers each and Hunter-Douglas Missiles, on Drop Pods with Breakwind Missile Launchers
5 x Termigators with Assault Cannon
5 x Meringue Scouts on a Land Speeder Stormy with a Heavy Flamer
5 x Assault Meringues with flamer, vet sergeant with Thundarr Hammer and Combat Shield
10 x Tactical Meringues with Flamer and Heavy Flamer, on Drop Pod with BML
10 x Tactical Meringues in Rhino with Heavy Flamer and Flamer
5 x Devastator Meringues with multi-meltas and missile launchers
1 x Whirlywind
Hang on, where's my Ravager with 3 dark lances? Oh, I forgot to put it in... eek!
I won the roll to choose which kind of Mission we would play, so we got 'Fear The Reaper' from the Coven supplement. Then I rolled 'Fear' on the Warlord Table... no use against meringues! I re-rolled it and got 'Rage', which... okay. For Combat Drugs I got +1 Ld. Bah!
He set up only the devastator meringues, whirlywind (way back in a corner), and the rhino with 5 meringues and the techmeringue inside. I set up the Raider with Agatha and the grots in it, the wracks in their venom, and the blue and pink candy packs in their raiders. We both reserved everything else. I might have reserved more, but I was terrified of getting wiped out on the first turn, although looking back I probably should have.
1) The Dreddlocks with Heavy Flamers were very hard on my guys and very tough to get rid of, which is nothing new.
2) The ability to deep-strike with everything is fantastic. The Scourges worked really well, as did the Trueborn with blasters, and especially the Coven formation. There, shoot your flamey flaming flamers on that!
3) The Wyches... actually did quite well. They didn't turn up until Turn 4, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. The Snow Madds deep-striked (deep-struck?) onto an objective that Morbith's Babies had left behind; then the termigators teleported right next to them and shot down their Venom. I wasn't going to charge 5 termigators with 5 wyches, so they did the next best thing and charged 5 tactical meringues and their Captain with the Teats of Terra. Overwatch didn't kill a single one, with the Cronos nearby, and with Furious Charge they managed to kill two of them without a single wych dying. On his turn, they killed another meringue and the rampaging Captain killed two of them, but hey, Fearless! I still think wyches are overcosted at 10 points each, but they're honestly not bad at all.
4) I didn't get the chance to try the Reavers' HoW attacks. I didn't want to put them too close to all those flamers, and there wasn't anything for them to charge anyway. They just hunted vehicles with the heat lances and blew them up.
5) The Grotesques just tear stuff up. I had him solve first the normal wounds, then the Rending wounds from the Aberrations scissorhands, and finally the Instant Death wounds from all the lethal doses. You get rid of characters that way!
6) Agatha the Succubus, on the other hand, was a huge disappointment. She fought a challenge with the Thunder Hammer sergeant guy, failed to do a single wound to him, and died horribly. Terrible dice rolling didn't help, but I think that she should probably have used the glaive two-handed. I was thinking that I didn't need the AP2, but the +1 Strength would have been better than just an extra attack!
7) I didn't get a chance to try the wracks' ozzy-factor, as they were flamed to death inside their venom.
The candy packs were not very useful this time either. They got stuck trying to kill the dreddlocks flaming them, and there wasn't anything non-vehicular that they could shoot instead. (The few meringues that poked their heads outside a tin can were already being dealt with by the grots, the babies, or the Heirs' venom). As usual, all the Dark Lances either failed to hit anything or failed to do anything when they did hit. The Pink Candies were flamed to death without taking a single hull point away from a dreddlock, and the Blue Candies shot at it for three turns always rolling 1s and 2s. I still think that giving them a Dark Lance instead of a Splinter Cannon was not a bad idea, though; the cannon would have been even more useless, and they might have killed it or helped kill it... in theory
9) The Scourges, on the other hand, rocked. I need more!
10) 'Hunt From The Shadows' was fairly useless, for obvious reasons. I might as well have made it a 'normal' rulebook detachment for 'Objective Secured', but that wouldn't have made a difference either anyway.
11) On the whole, Power from Pain rules. Usually what would happen is that I'd feel I was doing well for the first turn or two, and then everything would start to go wrong. This time it was the other way around, which is much better! I expect people will start catching on and try to do as much damage to us in the first few turns as they can, because by Turn 5 a reasonably intact Dark Eldar army is going to be hard as nails.
As my friend said, this wasn't a list meant to fight Dark Eldar (although neither was mine specifically meant against meringues!) He tried to call it after Turn 4, as he was in a hurry, but I said 'No! You may not go! I want to see what the wyches do, and they only just turned up, so if you try to leave, I will beat you, with sticks!' And he very kindly stayed for another turn, for which he deserves many thanks.
I've lined up two more games this week. One is against bloody Tau (against a very aggressive player, but who does not smell), and against Eldar (lots of Wavy Serpents, and he says he wants to ally Dark Eldar in!) We'll see how it goes.