THE DARK CITY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityRegisterLog in

First new 'dex against Tau

Go down 
AuthorMessage
thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

First new 'dex against Tau Empty
PostSubject: First new 'dex against Tau   First new 'dex against Tau I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09 2014, 10:04

On my way to work, so consider this a prelude:

Played against a 1000pt Tau gunline that had been quite heavily tailored (allowing for my opponent's small model collection) against dark eldar in general.

He lined up, I went all out against left flank with the help of some infiltrating mandrakes (!!) and chewed my way to the right. His commander deep struck at my backfield (?) right before mine did the same to him, then his command squad took the brunt of every unit I had left.

Won on 8-1 VPs, and tabled him turn 5. Didn't even lose a transport, and used the realspace raiders detatchment. ObSec is overrated, guys. Stealth and shrouded in early game, even vs Tau, is not.

Fully mapped report to come in a few hours!
Back to top Go down
http://Www.bakeframes.bigcartel.com
Unorthodoxy
Beating A Different Drummer
Unorthodoxy

PostSubject: Re: First new 'dex against Tau   First new 'dex against Tau I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09 2014, 16:27

I don't think it's over rated. I think that in 1000 point games, your Objective Secured troops can be kept much safer and are automatically competing withless units to secure the objectives.

I think you find at 2K, when the enemy can afford throw away units, that this issue looms larger.

Looking forward to the batrep though.

http://www.40kunorthodoxy.blogspot.com/
thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

PostSubject: Re: First new 'dex against Tau   First new 'dex against Tau I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09 2014, 17:15

I can't make Vassal work, does anyone know why it would load all the bits of the 40k module and then just continue to do the spinning loady icon forever? PM me if you're good at vassal so we can figure this out, please!

EDIT: Doesn't matter, got it.
Back to top Go down
Archon Rixec
Hellion
Archon Rixec

PostSubject: Re: First new 'dex against Tau   First new 'dex against Tau I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09 2014, 17:35

waiting to see this batrep in full Smile
Back to top Go down
Unorthodoxy
Unorthodoxy

PostSubject: Re: First new 'dex against Tau   First new 'dex against Tau I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09 2014, 18:36

Mushkilla
Arena Champion
Mushkilla

PostSubject: Re: First new 'dex against Tau   First new 'dex against Tau I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09 2014, 20:40

@Unorthodoxy wrote:
I think you find at 2K, when the enemy can afford throw away units, that this issue looms larger.

Personally I find 2K to be the worst point level, even more so fro Dark Eldar, the board is way to crowded at that point. I much prefer 1500 point games, 1750 at a push. But often find I have the most fun at 1000 points on a 4'x4' board.

“Even the Black Buzzards thought highly of him, and those maniacs were renowned for hating everyone.” - Tantalus, by Braden Campbell
Back to top Go down
Unorthodoxy
Unorthodoxy

PostSubject: Re: First new 'dex against Tau   First new 'dex against Tau I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09 2014, 21:08

well we all play 2K here so I guess we're used to it

thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

PostSubject: Re: First new 'dex against Tau   First new 'dex against Tau I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09 2014, 22:10

Okay! Images uploaded, finally. Here we go.
This was me using the new dex for the first time, against a guy who's new-ish to Tau.
His list was fairly tailored to DE in general, and helped along throughout by our resident Imperial Commander, and I tried and failed to forget what models he owns. Luckily for me, the Hammerhead didn't come out to play.

The armies:
The House of Salted Earth. Realspace raider detatchment.

Archon. Toys. Portal, Shadowfield, Armour of Misery, Archangel of Pain. Agoniser.

9 Kab warriors, shredder. Raider TGL, dissie, racks.
10 Kab warriors, shredder. Raider, TGL, dissie, racks, sails.

5 incubi, venom, cannon.
3 mandrakes

6 Reavers. Caltrops, champ. This guy lost his agoniser in a list re-jig and I forgot to de-champ him.
Beastmaster, 3 Khymerae

Talos

The Something Something Enclave.

Commander, Airbursting Frag Launcher (?), some kind of impact field. TL missile pod.
Bodyguards, TL missile pod.
4 shield drones, 2 marker drones.

10 Firewarriors, the S5 AP5 30" guns
10 Firewarriors as above

10 Pathfinders, Grav-inhibitor, Pulse accelerator, leader has markerlight and targetlock.

Pirhana, burst cannon, infuriating flechette launcher.

3 stealth suits, burst cannons, maybe also some marker drones.

Mission

1 on the Maelstrom table. 1 card on turn 1, up to 3 after that.
No night fight.
DE trait: Rage
Drugs: +1S
Tau trait: Pinpoint deepstrike

The setup! I figured vassal out as I went along, so please ignore the stupid map markings and illogical use of numbers. I let him set up and go first, to teach him about how terrible an idea that can be.

The setup Tau Turn 1. I messed up, sorry.

Stealth suits infiltrated into the forest up North, after my mandrakes hid behind the BLOS in the top left.
The pathfinders on the left made their scout move to where they are now on the left. The piranha came screeching round the corner to point at the 'drakes. Nothing else moved at all.
Everything that could see them then wasted their entire shooting on killing two mandrakes, since only one markerlight landed a hit! The remaining drake made his snake eyes Ld test and stayed put. An auspicious start.

First new 'dex against Tau Cgwd8TK

DE turn one. Pain level - Papercut.

I started to rush his left flank and changed my mind halfway through, sending the reavers and beasts as fast as they could into the centre ruins. My objective at this point is to control every objective, so I let it lie.
The raider full of kabbies and the talos head to the pathfinders, as does the manly mandrake. The venom pops out to provide a distraction, since I'm sure the incubi will be fine for a while, and it's useless where I've put it.
The talos, drake and gunboat kill all the pathfinders except for the grav-inhibitor, which runs away a short distance. The mandrake then fails his 8" charge, but doesn't care at all, since nothing is overwatching! Left flank: ruined.

First new 'dex against Tau Bg7bzqN

Tau turn 2.

Things start looking up for the Dories. The lone drone runs away, but the stealths, piranha and firewarriors kill all but one of the reavers, who runs as fast as he can, and two beasts. This is despite forgetting to ignore cover! I start to worry that one flank won't matter. Nothing else happens.

First new 'dex against Tau PgR74fI

DE turn 2. Pain level - Pizza cheese beard.

The Archon hangs out in the webway and doesn't come out to play this turn. The lone reaver almost becomes the second hero of the game, rolling 3 on his Ld test! He flees, and no doubt becomes the newest arena champ in the quietest arena in Commoragh.
The raider heads into the ruins to have an objective, and the talos grabs another. The incubi jump out of the venom and move up to support the Beastmaster and his one beast.
My shooting is terrible, killing a stealth suit and 4 fire warriors, but a combined assault from beasts and incubi blends the remaining stealthers into a fine paste. They hang out in the forest.
The hero-mandrake attacks the piranha, and in a fine anticlimax, gets blasted back to oblivion by it's flechette launcher before he can do anything.

First new 'dex against Tau YIvE1Tl

Tau turn 3

The commander arrives, flawlessly slotting into my former defence line thing and putting a hull point and a Shake on the gunboat and a wound on the talos. This is the third turn he's spent thinking my transports don't matter, but to be fair, talos. The warriors and piranha mercilessly blast the incubeast unit in the forest AND THE LONE INCUBUS ROLLS SNAKE EYES! What.
I've mapped this next part wrong also, but the commander then (illegally) assaulted the Talos, doing nothing but losing two shield drones, and then hit 'n running away to the bottom middle objective. I've got it down as me charging him next turn, sorry about the misdirection.

First new 'dex against Tau QPDNcJX

DE turn 3. Pain level - Rejected For A Date.

The Archon drops into existence behind the firewarriors and takes a deep breath. The raider and venom head over to the two right-hand objectives, because I needed those.
The Talos heads over to the command squad (sloooowly) and shoots a drone down.
The archon opens up the archangel casket, which at -4 Ld kills 5 warriors from one squad and 4 from the other. I probably won't do that again, but it was fun. Shooting from various sources kills more warriors until only 3 remain. By some miracle they also pass morale. Everyone is SUPER BRAVE this game.
The snake-eyes mega-heroic incubus charges the piranha. Guess what happened next? Flechettes. Never let your brave loners charge a piranha.

First new 'dex against Tau QsnHckI

Tau turn 4. The end is nigh.

Nothing really happens. The airburster scatters wide, the missiles are entirely jinked off, and there weren't enough fire warriors to hurt anything. The raiders take a hull point each from glances. He gets a VP for holding the bottom middle objective.

First new 'dex against Tau 7EBtOCY

DE turn 4. Pain level - Biting A Crisp The Wrong Way.

Venom moves to screen the advancing raiders from the piranha, and finishes off the fire warriors for another VP. The raiders shoot a couple of drones off the commander, but the 4++ proves strong in the end. The talos charges again, shrugs off overwatch, and kills off everything except the commander, who hit 'n runs a few inches back. The talos sticks around on the objective.

First new 'dex against Tau DWtX4J1

Tau turn 5. No surrender.

The commander gets the fear, hard, missing every shot he takes at the archon's raider. The pirhana puts another hull point on it, nothing else to report. The fishboat could have taken an objective for another point, but didn't even bother.

First new 'dex against Tau U2X3eEN

DE turn 5. Pain level - Flick On The Ear On A Cold Day.

Warriors and raiders move around, and jump out to claim objectives around the place. The original raider disintegrates the piranha, finally!

Out of sheer arrogance and playing-in-character points, I don't do anything after that except charge the Archon at the Fishboss, challenge him (why?) and carve him into several pieces.

First new 'dex against Tau T480Lxp

Game over! I end having achieved: First Blood, Warlord, a couple of objectives held for 3 more points, any 3 objectives for another 2 and a unit killed by shooting for 1 more. I just noticed on my field notes I separately achieved "Kill A Unit Somehow" for a total of 9! Not to mention I tabled the guy.

Some thoughts - I'm glad I left CAD and took Realspace Raiders. I didn't even fill my FA slots, took it purely for the early game stealth/shrouded.

At least two guys told me that was dumb, since Tau can ignore cover easily, but to my mind the important thing was they couldn't do that to everyone, and once I hit him, it wouldn't matter. Since he wouldn't be moving much (Tau player, IG advisor?? Come on), ObSec wouldn't be particularly important anyway.

Late game the talos took a lot of hits, and FnP helped. I'd definitely say worth the points. The turn 5 charge by the agoniser-wielding archon with Rage and FC was devastating.

Should've taken two units of bikes! Without caltrops I could afford a whole extra bike, and his last unit of fire warriors that ended the 6-squad could have only killed one squad of 3, getting someone into contact with them much earlier.

It might seem like a tool move to not remind him about the markerlights in turn 1, but believe me when I say he got plenty of help from me before that! Now he'll remember.

Sorry again about the maps. It was really hard.

Oh yeah, tell me your thoughts! Just switch off your brain-keyboard filter and slosh 'em out. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Unorthodoxy
Unorthodoxy

PostSubject: Re: First new 'dex against Tau   First new 'dex against Tau I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 09 2014, 23:55

Well this guy done ticked me off.

A lot of Good Tau died for NOTHING!

Also: a couple more bikes would be good. also: what in gawds name is that Venom doing just waving in the open at 20 Fire Warriors?

thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

PostSubject: Re: First new 'dex against Tau   First new 'dex against Tau I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10 2014, 00:06

Not for nothing, my Archon is having combat drugs withdrawal. Got hungry.

I'm preeetty sure that venom error is a mapping mistake on my part. I think it was out of range of the firewarriors on my turn 1. But it's possible I just didn't catch the error until afterwards, and got lucky.

Laughingcarp
Wych
Laughingcarp

PostSubject: Re: First new 'dex against Tau   First new 'dex against Tau I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10 2014, 01:30

Awesome batrep! I've got a game vs Tau coming up so was hoping to read something like this.

Sadly your Archon can't have both Armour of Misery and Archangel of Pain. One or t'other, need a 2nd HQ to pull of that stunt.

Still awesome though.

Also, your Mandrake couldn't have assaulted 1st turn due to Infiltrate. It got changed from "not assaulting first player turn" to "not assaulting first game turn" in 7th. I got dinged for that a little while back.

Awesomesauce seeing the Archon benefit greatly from PfP table; also awesomesauce seeing Realspace Raider detachment do well, especially vs Tau. I'll be trying the same shortly!

Host of Shattered Purity - Chaos Daemons
Back to top Go down
thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

PostSubject: Re: First new 'dex against Tau   First new 'dex against Tau I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10 2014, 09:47

Daaang, I forgot that about mandrakes. I knew there was a reason they still kind of sucked.

As for the artefacts, I don't think you're right, unless I'm missing something you can only have one of each artefact per army. Nothing against having a couple of unique ones though, I think?

Glad you liked it! Greatly recommend the RR detatchment, although I'd assume your opponent will be somewhat more experienced than mine

lelith
Sybarite
lelith

PostSubject: Re: First new 'dex against Tau   First new 'dex against Tau I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10 2014, 10:09

@thesaltedwound wrote:

As for the artefacts, I don't think you're right, unless I'm missing something you can only have one of each artefact per army. Nothing against having a couple of unique ones though, I think?

Page 69 in our codex:
Quote :

Artefacts of Cruelty: Only one of each Artefact of Cruelty may be taken per army. A model may take one of the following:

The_Burning_Eye
Trueborn
The_Burning_Eye

PostSubject: Re: First new 'dex against Tau   First new 'dex against Tau I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10 2014, 10:12

@thesaltedwound wrote:

It's in the wargear list where the points for each are listed. First line under artefacts of cruelty states a model can have one of the following.

My Blog - The Burning Eye Blog (check it out - comments always welcome)

My Project Log - Visions of the Burning Eye

My Gaming Log - Chronicles of the Burning Eye

My Club - MAD Wargaming

My Fluff - Kabal of the Burning Eye, Cult of the Shadowed Blade and Coven of Distorted Perfection
Back to top Go down
http://theburningeye.blogspot.com
thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

PostSubject: Re: First new 'dex against Tau   First new 'dex against Tau I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10 2014, 12:32

Aah, thanks, I missed that! Still, it's only a difference of 2 deaths for the purposes of this battle I think, not too much of a problem.

Laughingcarp
Wych
Laughingcarp

PostSubject: Re: First new 'dex against Tau   First new 'dex against Tau I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10 2014, 22:03

Ya not a huge problem at all, and easy to miss! Didn't catch it until my 3rd or 4th read-through of the 'dex. I pulled off the fear bomb vs my Tau opponent; took out two Missile Broadsides (!!!) and two pathfinders. Not super duper powerful but definitely handy to smite a unit in a pinch.

@Mushkilla wrote:
Personally I find 2K to be the worst point level, even more so fro Dark Eldar, the board is way to crowded at that point. I much prefer 1500 point games, 1750 at a push. But often find I have the most fun at 1000 points on a 4'x4' board.
This is super true.

Host of Shattered Purity - Chaos Daemons
Back to top Go down
Minks
Hellion
Minks

PostSubject: Re: First new 'dex against Tau   First new 'dex against Tau I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11 2014, 01:26

The pain level names were quite funny, kudos (good battle report too!).
Back to top Go down
thesaltedwound
Sybarite
thesaltedwound

PostSubject: Re: First new 'dex against Tau   First new 'dex against Tau I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 11 2014, 22:55

Cheers Minks, trying to make that my gimmick. Everybody's got a thing.

That's awesome carp, did you win? Report coming?

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First new 'dex against Tau   First new 'dex against Tau I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First new 'dex against Tau
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Realspace Raids
-
Jump to: