Share | 

The New Archon

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Anggul
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Tue Sep 30 2014, 11:05

Well the GW website has dropped the previous Succubus and Haemonculus but kept the Archon, so I guess they're keeping him for the sake of variety. I wish they had kept the previous Haemonculus too. The new one is posed so much better, but variety is especially good for Dark Eldar.

Thankfully though, our kits are pretty much universally compatible.

"Oh how awful, did he at least die painlessly? To shreds you say? Well, how's his Dracon holding up? To shreds you say? Very well then... Sad, sad, terrible gruesome news about my colleague Archon Mhu'bhutu." - 'The Feather', Dracon of the Bladed Lotus
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Tue Sep 30 2014, 11:54

Sadly Forumotion decided to swallow my post, so I'll briefly recap my thoughts. The new Archon has mixed reactions because his body language is defensive and implies doubt, lack of confidence. The previous Archon widely and firmly planted his feet on the ground, assuring dominance - he wasn't going anywhere and it's his way or the highway. The new one seems to be more of a manipulator from the shadows, one that prefers to stay behind and throw more men at the problem rather than go in there and take care of it personally. I think the best solution would be if GW still sold the old Archon - then we have two very different Archon models that imply different things. Now, if it was possible for the model to be converted so that the Archon's arms were crossed behind his back - that'd a completely different pose that conveys a very different message. Even one hand behind the back would do miracles!

Of course, as a basis for conversion, the new Archon looks spectacular. I am actually considering to make a new Siticus' model out of this guy - the legs seem to be well-suited for floating pose, and the slightly more intricate armour is exactly what I'm looking for! I mean, yeah, there's the new haemonculus model, but what kind of flesh sculptor ever settles for the stock option?

I guess there might also be one last point to make - over the years we all have seen or converted so many Archons in so many dynamic poses that a very static pose is something we're just not used to at all.

Black Death
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Thu Oct 02 2014, 06:30

I'm so glad I have 2 of the metal ones. If I didn't I would use a dark elf dreadlord, this one really is, as stated in the opening post, boring. Now the succubus on the other hand, female archon conversion possibilities, hmm?

Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Thu Oct 02 2014, 17:15

@Gobsmakked wrote:
@FenWulf wrote:
I have seen this model in 2 defferent sculps but not clear enough to get a good look at them &  I cant seem to find it for sale.. Anyone get any better pics of it?

Si, these are from the iBooks preview of the codex:

New Archon:

now that top one looks epic, all I ask for is a rifle for him now *never satisfied* lol!
Back to top Go down
Zal'renah
Slave

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Thu Oct 02 2014, 19:33

I think they're trying to put across that he knows that he's better than everyone else and so he's standing in his 'posh' pose, while the other idiots in his squad run around like the savage primitives that they hunt. Don't get me wrong, it's not amazing but, I've seen far worse.

If you like my avatar go check out Beckjann's deviant art profile, from what I've seen his art is quite popular on this forum. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jehoel
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Thu Oct 02 2014, 20:30

Dont Think i'll be getting this one. Really not a fan of the pose. Although some of the parts are cool (flesh coat I'm looking at you) those legs make him look like a balletdancer making ready for his piruette.

I Will continue to use the "old" model and thankfully my gaming group allows me to use the Lhamaen (spelling?) model as an archon as well

The readiness is all: since no man has aught of what he leaves, what is't to leave betimes?

- Hamlet, Prince of Denmark

Kabal of Eternal Torment/Cult of Last Caress/Coven of Wasted Tears
Back to top Go down
Erebus
HTMLaemonculus

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Fri Oct 03 2014, 21:58

The new Archon is up for pre-order.

As you can see on the sprue, each leg is separate (the crotch is part of the torso), so conversions using legs from other kits should be easy enough - probably have to file down the crotch to get it to sit in the socket.

Wych

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Fri Oct 03 2014, 22:53

As always, the 3d preview actually allows the models to look much better than in their stock photos (seriously, what's up with GW photographers taking unflattering pictures of their new models?). I quite like the smugness of the Archon, though he's still going to be converted! Siticus wants a shiny new body!

Aeterna
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Sat Oct 04 2014, 00:03

Actually like the model now getting the better look, and the face is great, but what is with that hair? It's like he wasn't sure if he wanted to go bald or the ponytail look and said why not both.

"Hear our call children of the void, listen to the screams of your brothers and sisters, see the raining ash from your home. Do you have what it takes to stand back up, or will you fall like so many before you."
                                                                                                      -  Zorev Norterus, Archon of the Immortal Eclipse
                Kabal of the Immortal Eclipse | Coven of the Shadow Flesh | Cult of the Black Rage
Back to top Go down
Siticus the Ancient
Wych

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Sat Oct 04 2014, 00:12

Well it seems they're going for the old codex artwork look, seeing how the unit entries now have a big picture of the model instead of artwork. So this new Archon is the same fellow from the old codex along with his fancy bald topknot.

Lord_Alino
Lord_Alice

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Sat Oct 04 2014, 02:33

I'd totally buy this model if I was rich! Razz
Back to top Go down
LeonDeclis
Slave

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Sun Oct 05 2014, 04:40

I shall probably pick up this model, I need to change the equipment on my Archon now but I like the Huskblade too much as a model, so...

Venom Blade or Agoniser? May slap on a Blast Pistol because why not.
Back to top Go down
Crazy_Irish
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Sun Oct 05 2014, 07:51

@LeonDeclis wrote:
I shall probably pick up this model, I need to change the equipment on my Archon now but I like the Huskblade too much as a model, so...

Venom Blade or Agoniser? May slap on a Blast Pistol because why not.

As the venom blade is only for Arcothysts, the answer is agonised ;-)

With the better picture now I really like the pose and head of the model. But the arm pose is awful...

Lord of the Chat

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Sun Oct 05 2014, 12:52

This is one of my favourite models that GW has ever made

Back to top Go down
Zenotaph
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Sun Oct 05 2014, 13:09

@Cavash wrote:
This is one of my favourite models that GW has ever made
You really think so? Or did you just forgot the 'sarcasm'-sign?
It looks more like a freshly promoted dracon, that is going to prove his value.
The cloak is a great part for a haemi, I think, but the whole model doesn't look,
well, dignified and ready to challenge the galaxy enough for me.

Lord of the Chat

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Sun Oct 05 2014, 13:41

No, I wasn't being sarcastic. This model is easy to convert and kitbash. With the amount of spare bits you'll have from all the other models we practically have a multi-part HQ kit. I prefer this model to the old Archon by miles.

Back to top Go down
Squidmaster
Incubi

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Sun Oct 05 2014, 14:25

I realize it can be kit-bashed, but I guess my original point comes to "Should you have to?"

Obviously I think I lot of people would, and certainly most of us would, but it comes down to whether or not GW have released a singular model which looks good as it is intended, and on that note I think probably not.
I've no doubt it can be kit-bashed into something decent, but I'm not a fan of the model as supplied.
Back to top Go down
http://www.escelionfilms.com
Haridar
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Sun Oct 05 2014, 16:05

@Feuermann
If to look on the blister, it seems that torso is made from two parts. So, you can make it for sure!

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Sun Oct 05 2014, 16:29

I think Cavash makes a fair point, with all the spare parts we'll have lying around we can create our perfect Archon. 'now where is that hexrifle hand*
Back to top Go down
Cavash
Lord of the Chat

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Sun Oct 05 2014, 17:01

Exactly.

But you don't have to kitbash it. I love the model as it is and I would happily have it as it is. I kitbashed the last Archon I had because I didn't like the head or the soultrap. This one I would happily have as it is.

Back to top Go down
Erebus
HTMLaemonculus

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Sun Oct 05 2014, 17:02

I find myself agreeing with Squidmaster: sure, we can kitbash to create an Archon we prefer - and many of will do so because we want a unique Archon - but the model should be dynamic enough that we shouldn't feel it's a must. Unfortunately, many of us do.

Wych

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Sun Oct 05 2014, 17:04

I've changed my mind about this model, having seen the sprue. Lots of possibilities there, and glad that he doesn't have to do that odd perching pose! I'm glad we've finally got a plastic one too, I hate my finecast one - not because of the pose or anything, just because of the weird way the material seems to absorb paint...

Lord of the Chat

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Sun Oct 05 2014, 17:10

That's the main reason that I decided I like it so much: I saw the sprue.

I can understand that people aren't fond of it and people have different opinions, but I think it has much more potential to work than the old model.

Back to top Go down
Mr Believer
Wych

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Sun Oct 05 2014, 17:23

@Cavash wrote:
That's the main reason that I decided I like it so much: I saw the sprue.

I can understand that people aren't fond of it and people have different opinions, but I think it has much more potential to work than the old model.

The patchwork skin cloak reminds me of Sliscus too, which is kind of nice. In a morbidly creepifying way, of course.

Incubi

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   Sun Oct 05 2014, 18:27

I will certainly buy it, im on a quest to make an Archon from the cover of 5th edition codex. Head of this new one looks almost exactly the same.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The New Archon   

Back to top Go down

The New Archon
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DRUKHARI DISCUSSION

:: Drukhari Discussion
-
Jump to: