Share | 

What to buy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Snorri
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: What to buy   Sun Aug 10 2014, 10:08

That's why I'll wait plastic version...or metal Incubi for a reasonable price.
Seriously failcast is a pain...thanks God they are stopping to produce stuff with that s**t

"Cruel fantasies of someone's dreams...that's what we are; They call us forgotten tears 'cause no eyes cried for our griefs"
Synthoras, Archon of the Forgotten Tears
Back to top Go down
Rakenior
Slave

PostSubject: Re: What to buy   Thu Aug 21 2014, 17:35

I'm looking to get into Dark Eldar - I was thinking as an initial purchase of purchasing 2 x Battleforces and 2 x Venoms; I'm not sold on the Finecast HQ choices, I think the models are great I just HATE finecast.

I'm also trying to make sure that what I purchase isn't erased from history with the rumblings of a new codex, one can never be too sure...
Back to top Go down
Panic_Puppet
Wych

PostSubject: Re: What to buy   Thu Aug 21 2014, 23:04

You won't go wrong with anything in the battleforce. Raiders good, warriors good, wyches good. Jetbikes are better in big units, but on the rare occasion I field my unit of 3 (from my battleforce) they're general solid as a pester unit.

You're getting our mainstay transport, and one of each of our traditional troops choices, and that's a great way to start figuring out what suits your playstyle and what you'd like to use more of. None of those will leave the new codex, and everything will at the very least be playable. If you're grabbing 2x battleforce and 2x venom, you'll have 40 infantry and 30 transport spaces, so I'd recommend another raider to put the last set of dudes in.

Rule 1 of playing Dark Eldar - a Kabalite or Wych on foot is generally a dead Kabalite or Wych
Rule 2 of playing Dark Eldar - everyone walks home because our transports are made of paper
Rule 3 of playing Dark Eldar - that's not going to be many anyway because our armour is also paper

PostSubject: Re: What to buy   Thu Aug 21 2014, 23:35

Rakenior wrote:
I'm looking to get into Dark Eldar - I was thinking as an initial purchase of purchasing 2 x Battleforces and 2 x Venoms; I'm not sold on the Finecast HQ choices, I think the models are great I just HATE finecast.

I'm also trying to make sure that what I purchase isn't erased from history with the rumblings of a new codex, one can never be too sure...

I wouldn't bank on it, but with a new codex there's a possibility bikes might be able to be used as troops, since that's a thing in a lot of other codexes, which makes the battleforce look even better.

Wych

PostSubject: Re: What to buy   Fri Aug 22 2014, 09:04

Also something that's just occurred to me... with every codex release, battleforces are being phased out and replaced with army collections, and there's no guarantee our new one will be the same as the current one. So if you like the current stuff, grab it now.

PostSubject: Re: What to buy   Fri Aug 22 2014, 10:19

Thanks for the advice, I agree the battleforce looks solid right now. With discount youre getting 2 Raiders, 20 wyches, 20 Kabalite Warriors, 6 x Jetbikes for £110 throw a couple of venoms and an extra raider and youve got what I think is a great starting army for about £160. Only thing I wouldn't have is a HQ and any heavy long range AT.
Back to top Go down
Ciirian
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: What to buy   Fri Aug 22 2014, 13:48

You could always proxy a HQ from one of the Kabalite's if you'd like. Just to play around with things before you buy a HQ model since you stated your not a fan of the current finecast
Back to top Go down
Rakenior
Slave

PostSubject: Re: What to buy   Fri Aug 22 2014, 14:16

I think that's what I'll do proxy an Archon or Succubus etc... I may just have gone and bought all the above this afternoon Embarassed Don't tell the Mrs!
Back to top Go down
Panic_Puppet
Wych

PostSubject: Re: What to buy   Fri Aug 22 2014, 16:51

You don't even need a lot of long-ranged anti armour. I'd run:
Succubus with Agoniser - 85
9 haywire wyches, hekatrix, venom blade in a raider - 183
5 haywire wyches in a dual-cannon venom - 125
10 warriors in a raider with splinter racks - 160
6 Reaver Jetbikes, 2 blasters - 162

That's a fairly solid 1000 point force right there, got everything you need. Haywire is absolute murder to anything with an armour value, a squad of 5 wyches should, with average rolls, drop any 3 hull point vehicle in a single phase; your 9-strong squad led by the hekatrix is a pretty nice combat unit, amped up with the succubus thrown in for extra killy. The splinter-raiders make absolute murder of infantry units that get caught nearby, and the venoms are pretty nasty as well. Jetbikes can zoom about being a nuisance, contributing their blasters to help take down armour at range (effective 30" range, and then your 2d6 running-away move in the assault phase) or bladevaning over things and smacking them in the face. Should give you a good idea of what Dark Eldar are like to play with and a decent idea of what you do and don't like!

PostSubject: Re: What to buy   Fri Aug 22 2014, 18:36

Panic_Puppet wrote:
You don't even need a lot of long-ranged anti armour. I'd run:
Succubus with Agoniser - 85
9 haywire wyches, hekatrix, venom blade in a raider - 183
6 Reaver Jetbikes, 2 blasters - 162

That's a fairly solid 1000 point force right there, got everything you need. Haywire is absolute murder to anything with an armour value, a squad of 5 wyches should, with average rolls, drop any 3 hull point vehicle in a single phase; your 9-strong squad led by the hekatrix is a pretty nice combat unit, amped up with the succubus thrown in for extra killy. The splinter-raiders make absolute murder of infantry units that get caught nearby, and the venoms are pretty nasty as well. Jetbikes can zoom about being a nuisance, contributing their blasters to help take down armour at range (effective 30" range, and then your 2d6 running-away move in the assault phase) or bladevaning over things and smacking them in the face. Should give you a good idea of what Dark Eldar are like to play with and a decent idea of what you do and don't like!

Hey that's pretty neat, you've managed to make a 1000pt list on the nose using every single model I just purchased! Thank you its ever so helpful, I've never played with or against Dark Eldar (haven't played 40K in over 10 years) so have no idea how they work other than the battle reports on the internet I've read or watched.

Can I ask about the 9 strong squad of witches which includes a Hekatrix, so technically (for transport purposes) it's 8 Wyches + Hekatrix + Succubus making a squad of 10, but for points purposes you've purchased 9 Wyches and upgraded one to become a Hekatrix..?

EDIT: Also, the Agonizer states that it is a power weapon looking at the BRB it doesn't fall under the 4 categories of; Sword, Axe, Maul or Lance therefore it must fall under the "Unusual" power weapon rule? Is that correct?
Back to top Go down
MyNameDidntFit
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: What to buy   Sat Aug 23 2014, 04:08

Correct. By the way, consider taking a look at the FAQ: http://www.blacklibrary.com/Downloads/Product/PDF/Warhammer-40k/7th-faq/Dark_Eldar_v1.0_May14.pdf

It answers quite a few questions left open by the rules changes and whatnot (though still leaves a few unanswered). Things like the Incubi's Klaives and the Huskblade are answered in there as they are not Unusual Power Weapons Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: What to buy   Sat Aug 23 2014, 11:45

Yes to both questions - 9 Wyches, and one has been upgraded to a hekatrix, so effectively 8 wyches, 1 hekatrix, 1 succubus. And the agoniser is classed as an 'unusual power weapon' because it has extra special rules bolted on to it (in this case the auto-wound on a 4+).

If you wanted, you could instead run an archon over the succubus for added versatility; problem is that you don't -quite- have enough points to make him simultaneously killy and survivable. Alternatively you could proxy in a haemonculus and toss on some toys to try out. The main reason I suggested the succubus is that it's probably the easiest one to convert/counts as from what you have, whilst also not overloading you with too many things to remember.

PostSubject: Re: What to buy   Sat Aug 23 2014, 18:04

@Panic_Puppet: Are blasters on bikes still viable with the new jink rule? I haven't played a game of 7th yet.

Wych

PostSubject: Re: What to buy   Sat Aug 23 2014, 18:52

Honestly don't know, I don't use bikes enough. As best I can tell, there's two ways to use them - zooming around constantly and smacking things in the face on the way past; and bipping between bits of cover, taking pot-shots with blasters (anything 30" away from the biker is threatened), and jetbike-moving back out of sight. They were in to give that particular list just a little bit more anti-tank, they can easily be removed and replaced with upgrades elsewhere.

PostSubject: Re: What to buy   Sun Aug 24 2014, 13:37

Expletive Deleted wrote:
I wouldn't bank on it, but with a new codex there's a possibility bikes might be able to be used as troops, since that's a thing in a lot of other codexes, which makes the battleforce look even better.

With the advent of Unbound in 7th, there have been no force multipliers/choices moving to Troops if you select X. Oh how I'd kill for Reavers as Troops.

Administrator of The Dark City - Please message me any suggestions, improvements or problems
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedarkcity.net
Panic_Puppet
Wych

PostSubject: Re: What to buy   Sun Aug 24 2014, 13:44

They wouldn't even be OP. I mean, regular space elves get cheaper bikers with a better armour save in their troops section, and access to heavy weapons and support characters. That's much better than our ability to kick people in the face on the way past (though singularly less fun)

PostSubject: Re: What to buy   Mon Aug 25 2014, 05:34

Another battle force suggestion. It's a win of a box and full of useful awesome.

And if you're looking to pick up an entire army check out the barter-port section of the forum!

Host of Shattered Purity - Chaos Daemons
Back to top Go down

What to buy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

GENERAL DARK ELDAR DISCUSSION

:: Dark Eldar Discussion
-
Jump to: