HomeDark Eldar WikiDark Eldar ResourcesNull CityFAQUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

How exactly do the new 7th edition detachments work?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ubernoob1
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: How exactly do the new 7th edition detachments work?   Fri Jun 27 2014, 20:40

A friend and I think we've come to a conclusion that doesn't seem to follow what most people believe. So I was hoping I could state our case here and either inform people if we're right, or if someone could point out the flaws please do so.

Regarding the combined arms and allied detachments, they state under restrictions on page 122 that "All units chosen must have the same faction (or no faction at all)." Under the restrictions heading on the previous page (121) it states that "This section of the detachment lists any additional restrictions that apply to the units you can include as part of THIS detachment." and "For Example, in order to include a combined arms detachment, all of ITS army list entries must have the same faction." Not detachments of this type, but the individual detachment itself.

Additionally on page 126 under allies it states that "You can include models from any number of different factions (pg.118) in the same army if you wish."

Now my point to all of this is do you have to use the allied detachment in order to use allies, or can you use a second combined arms detachment to bring in another faction? If it was true that all models from all combined arms or allied detachments had to be the same respectively, then one could not include more than one ally if we can only use a second faction using the ally chart.

I hope I haven't made a fool of myself and can either enlighten others if I'm correct or be enlightened myself should I be wrong in this matter.
Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: How exactly do the new 7th edition detachments work?   Fri Jun 27 2014, 23:16

Combined arms detachments are from the same Faction. Allied detachments must be a different faction to your CAD. You can have as many detachments as you want so to answer your question your main CAD is the same Faction and you can have as many detachments as you like, then any other faction is brought in under the allied detachments, again of which you can have as many detachments as you like...all being different factions to that of your CAD. Remember though your CAD is where your Warlord is chosen

Hellion

PostSubject: Re: How exactly do the new 7th edition detachments work?   Sat Jun 28 2014, 03:19

For clarification purposes, a couple of examples, following my understanding of the rules.

Invalid
CAD1: Ultramarines
CAD2: White Scars
AD1: Tyranids

Valid
CAD1: Ultramarines
AD1: White Scars
AD2: Tyranids

Invalid
CAD1: CWE
CAD2: CWE
CAD2: Iyanden CWE
AD1: DE

Valid
CAD1: CWE
CAD2: CWE
AD1: Iyanden CWE
AD2: DE
Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: How exactly do the new 7th edition detachments work?   Sat Jun 28 2014, 07:42

Thats right honethedroll. A Faction is not the race, its the name of the Codex. Hence the difference between the 3rd and 4th examples

Dark Lord of Granbretan

PostSubject: Re: How exactly do the new 7th edition detachments work?   Sat Jun 28 2014, 08:40

The 4th example is invalid as Iyanden is the same faction as CWE and allied detachments cannot be of the same faction as your primary (other than SM). The 3rd example is actually correct.

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?
Back to top Go down
Ubernoob1
Kabalite Warrior

PostSubject: Re: How exactly do the new 7th edition detachments work?   Sat Jun 28 2014, 10:20

Yeah I'm terribly sorry but where does it say that all units from ALL combined arms detachments must be the same faction? If you guys are saying the restriction listing that "all units chosen" apply to all chosen by this detachment TYPE and not the individual detachments, then why doesn't that apply to the allied detachment? It says the exact same thing of "all units chosen must have the same faction". And also what and where is it stating that these restrictions are army restrictions and not ones for THAT specific detchment?

Again, page 121 states under Restrictions that "this section of the detachment lists any additional restrictions that apply to the units you can include as part of this detachment." If you include 2 different combined arms detachments, wouldn't they then have their own restrictions applied separately only to the units in the individual detachments? The way they're wording how detachments work, it really sounds to me that they've changed how they work enough so that it isn't just "this is the force org you follow" but more "this is this group of units using this chart, and this is this group using this other." They even describe formations as a type of detachment now where all of the rules for that formation are included and confined to that detachment.

The allied detachment specifically mentions that it cannot be the primary detachment nor the same race as the primary detachment. It does not make any mention towards the combined arms detachment, simply whichever detachment is your primary. Your warlord is NOT chosen from your combined arms detachment, it isn't even chosen from your primary detachment. Whichever detachment you choose your warlord from becomes your primary detachment which can be any detachment of your choice, except an allied detachment. And allied detachments do not need to be a different faction from your combined arms detachment, but your primary detachment.
Back to top Go down
honethedroll
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: How exactly do the new 7th edition detachments work?   Sat Jun 28 2014, 18:28

Apologies, I was working off of an incorrect interpretation of faction, reading it as divisions within a codex (such as the SM chapters and the codex supplements) rather than the overarching inclusive definition found at the bottom of p. 118.

@Ubernoob1 wrote:
The allied detachment specifically mentions that it cannot be the primary detachment nor the same race as the primary detachment. It does not make any mention towards the combined arms detachment, simply whichever detachment is your primary. Your warlord is NOT chosen from your combined arms detachment, it isn't even chosen from your primary detachment. Whichever detachment you choose your warlord from becomes your primary detachment which can be any detachment of your choice, except an allied detachment. And allied detachments do not need to be a different faction from your combined arms detachment, but your primary detachment.

I think you're spot on here. Having read this more closely it seems probable that most people have wrongly inferred (as I did originally) that because [p.122 AD Restrictions] "All units chosen must have a different Faction to any of the units in your Primary Detachment..." and [p.122 CAD Restrictions] "All units chosen must have the same Faction..." you could not have two CAD of different factions, but unless there is wording elsewhere that alters this, that is simply not the case.

4a. Please refrain from double posting. You may "bump" a post every 48hrs if you feel you are not getting responses. Double posts in project logs are acceptable. /Your friendly mod SS
Back to top Go down
1++
Hekatrix

PostSubject: Re: How exactly do the new 7th edition detachments work?   Sat Jun 28 2014, 23:48

Hmmm...might have to re-re-re-read all of ghost...thought I had it o_O

Wych

PostSubject: Re: How exactly do the new 7th edition detachments work?   Sat Jul 19 2014, 16:00

@Count Adhemar wrote:
The 4th example is invalid as Iyanden is the same faction as CWE and allied detachments cannot be of the same faction as your primary (other than SM). The 3rd example is actually correct.

Why is the 1st example invalid again?

Why is this so hard? My head hurts. Im going to go play some Dropzone Commander now. Ahhh that's better!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How exactly do the new 7th edition detachments work?   

Back to top Go down

How exactly do the new 7th edition detachments work?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

COMMORRAGH TACTICA

:: Rules: Queries & Questions
-
Jump to: