Share | 

Kabal of the Wraithborn

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ikaraii
Slave

PostSubject: Kabal of the Wraithborn   Fri Jun 27 2014, 02:11

Greetings.

I am heading to Warhammer World in late July with a friend for the Battle Brother tournament, both taking Dark Eldar (his old school DE and my new sculpts) and I've been lacking in motivation; I need to get 750pts painted in a month. Doable, sure, but I need a push - so here I am.

Now this is of course not limited to just 750pts, I have about 2500pts+ needing to be painted so this is the beginning of my Kabal's journey into a full force.

I'll show you where I'm at so far after two nights painting but first I want to show you my HQ for Battle Brothers - Baron Sathonyx.

I rather like him, opinions?

Paint scheme is primarily black (VERY dark grey) and orange. I'm going for a desaturated look that would hopefully kinda look like they're under low light/moonlight.

I apologise for the poor light, there will be better pictures but I didn't want to start the thread empty.

Now, I would like some input on where to take the orange now. So far it's a black undercoat, Rakarth Flesh base, 50:50 Rakarth Flesh:Troll Slayer Orange.
As this is my first attempt at desaturation, any ideas on what the next highlight should be, a lighter orange, say Fire Dragon Bright (with grey to desaturate) or perhaps start bringing it into bone/white? Or perhaps a wash to add depth before highlights?

Input, slav- fellow archons!

Vae Victus
Back to top Go down
spellcheck2001
Le Maitre Macabre

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Wraithborn   Fri Jun 27 2014, 07:23

Good start. I like tr orange and black contrast. Works well. For the orange I think you need a final edge highlight to really make it pop. It may be your photos but it looks little flat at the moment. Also a wash sounds a good idea to deepen the shadows. Maybe trial one panel out to see if you like it

study  My Wargaming blog   cherry  :- Objective Secured
Back to top Go down
http://www.objectivesecured.blogspot.co.uk
facelessabsalom
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Wraithborn   Fri Jun 27 2014, 20:27

I like the idea of orange and black colors. This should be cool and interesting to follow.
Judging from the pics, it looks a bit too brown to be orange imo. I'm a big fan of flash gitz yellow and would most likely try mixing it with red. In your case maybe a dark red, like blood red. I have no idea of the ratio since I've not tried.

But be warned, I'm no paint expert! It's just what I'd try.

Also, you mentioned something about sculpting. Perhaps this would interest you?
Back to top Go down
Dii
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Wraithborn   Fri Jun 27 2014, 20:54

Nice Smile can't wait to see them done Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ikaraii
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Wraithborn   Sat Jun 28 2014, 04:26

Thanks for the input guys. I'd just like to reiterate, I want a desaturated colour scheme. Not much colour/contrast, more realistic/grey - not in-your-face colour. I'm not even sure it can pull it off by the end of July so I may just go with standard black & orange.

The painted pics are very much WIP. you are right about the orange being flat as it is just that. One base coat, no highlighting yet. Just wanted to clarify my intentions.

Anyway, here's the list of what I need painted before the 25th July.
- Baron Sathonyx
- 10 Hellions
- 6 Reavers
- 4 Trueborn
- Venom
- Ravager

Eek...

Vae Victus
Back to top Go down
macknight
Hellion

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Wraithborn   Sat Jun 28 2014, 07:33

Looks good so far, the key to finish your force is grouping them in a doable pack, and not paint here and there or a single color throughout the whole army then to the next.

I would group the baron and the hellions together to paint as they are similar and spend a little more time on the details of the baron; reavers in another, trueborn and venom, then ravager. A week on each group will be on schedule.
Back to top Go down
Ikaraii
Slave

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Wraithborn   Tue Jul 01 2014, 00:08

A small update. I've gone a completely different (much quicker to produce) method instead of messing around with moonlight. Straight up orange.

Again, this is literally just a base coat, no washes, no highlights yet; but I'm much happier with it. It kinda looks more deadly.

I'm thinking about either green or a yellow glow for the gems, exhausts etc. The contrasting colour.

I want to set them on desert bases with perhaps some dust on the lower halfs/bottoms of some of the models. Desert raiders just takes my fancy big time Very Happy I need to look at some weathering methods for sand. Does anyone know if pigment powders come in sand colour and would work being used like that or am I better off painting it?

Vae Victus
Back to top Go down
Marrath
Wych

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Wraithborn   Tue Jul 01 2014, 06:32

The pattern reminds me of this:

Looking forward to the gems.
I have to work on the gems for my Kabalites and Venom crew next after i finished the bones.
Going for an irradiated yellow look like on my Wyches.

The bases (although that's probably not what you're looking for) are made with GW Astrogranite and colour.

Silverglade
Sybarite

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Wraithborn   Tue Jul 01 2014, 17:55

For bases, i would go with agrellan earth (the stuff that dries to look like cracked mud) and then glue sand/gravel as well. That's what i've gone with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kabal of the Wraithborn   

Back to top Go down

Kabal of the Wraithborn
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE DARK CITY :: 

LOW COMMORRAGH - THE WORKSHOPS

:: Project Logs
-
Jump to: